Chat about Equipment Info

#16462  by BayAreaBB

I bought the GE-7 upgrade from www.monteallums.com last week and will have it up and running by end of the next. I'll let you know what I find.

#16582  by BlobWeird

bump

#16598  by strumminsix

that kit on ebay is from monte. it gets great reviews everywhere and i wanna get one some day. but unfortunately my pedal is mounted into my rack and I am feeling too lazy cuz every thing is perfect now.

but note that he makes 2 mod kits depending when your pedal was made and you have to know which one you have so that means opening it up first.

#16606  by BayAreaBB

I bought the kit off his website. He ships one kit: if you have the new GE, then you will have 1 opamp and 1 resistor unused. The kit comes with installation instructions for both the new and old GE pedals. I'll post my review of the mod once finished.

#16615  by BlobWeird

alright thanks for the responses. definitely let me know how it goes. I hope the mod will get me a little cleaner highs. I dont know if thats the word im lookin for but its a little twangy with the highs. I end up havin to up the bass a little to keep the highs up. But id prefer to not have the bass up. Also I think he mentions that the boost level will be cleaner which would be awesome.

#16622  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:I bought the kit off his website. He ships one kit: if you have the new GE, then you will have 1 opamp and 1 resistor unused. The kit comes with installation instructions for both the new and old GE pedals. I'll post my review of the mod once finished.
That was true up until about a month ago. Now you have to order the kit to match your specific GE7 kit.
BlobWeird wrote:alright thanks for the responses. definitely let me know how it goes. I hope the mod will get me a little cleaner highs. I dont know if thats the word im lookin for but its a little twangy with the highs. I end up havin to up the bass a little to keep the highs up. But id prefer to not have the bass up. Also I think he mentions that the boost level will be cleaner which would be awesome.

The most common advisement on EQ'ing is to EQ like sculpting marble - only take away don't add. Or cut don't boost.

Now, mind you, I don't always follow this rule...

#18830  by jahozer

Is this the sniper mod? I have been looking into it about a year ago, but would probably send it out instead of doing it myself. I think its like fifty bucks. I think its Tonejam. Is that the same dudes?

#18851  by BayAreaBB

I bought the mod from monteallum.com.

The pedal is quieter than off the shelf. You can still hear some background noise, though I think that is from the increased gain inherent with this pedal.

Sounds good and a relative cheap mod ($20) if can install yourself.

#18865  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:I bought the mod from monteallum.com.

The pedal is quieter than off the shelf. You can still hear some background noise, though I think that is from the increased gain inherent with this pedal.

Sounds good and a relative cheap mod ($20) if can install yourself.
How are you using the EQ pedal? Are you carving out or adding in? If it's the latter, there is the likely source of your "background noise".

Simply put the EQ cuts in a filtered sorta way and boosts in in op amp sorta way. The filter shouldn't add any noise but the boost always will to some degree.

Maybe TS can explain this better or add some insight but that is my experience and what was advised to me years ago by a sound engineer.

#18879  by BayAreaBB

By background noise, I mean once I have turned on the EQ pedal via my GCX (typically on after my Turbo OD-2r is engaged), I hear more "thick air" through my 2x12 e-120s, which sit very close to me in my home studio. Don't really know how else to describe it.

#18887  by BlobWeird

Yeah I get that "thick air" sound too right up until I turn on my Noise Suppressor. That takes care of it

#18902  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:By background noise, I mean once I have turned on the EQ pedal via my GCX (typically on after my Turbo OD-2r is engaged), I hear more "thick air" through my 2x12 e-120s, which sit very close to me in my home studio. Don't really know how else to describe it.
Let me ask again, are you cutting or boosting?

#18907  by BayAreaBB

Cutting ... molding the sound.

#18910  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:Cutting ... molding the sound.
Sculpting! Awesome! And you are still getting some extra noise?

My best guess is that it would be that the EQ pedal is designed to give about a 1db boost to the overall signal with the sliders flat when engaged.

I don't know why they do it but my best guess is that is what you are hearing.

It's good enough for me with that so I won't change it by my opinion is that you are getting the best that you can out of your pedal.

The new, higher quality opamps should and sounds like did reduce the problem. Best guess is that what you are hearing is that initial boost.

Maybe try dropping all the sliders a notch and see if it disappears?
Or try dropping the output slider a notch and see.

Maybe you can eliminate it by eliminating the initial boost back to unity gain.