#18741  by HawaiianDedhed

What's the best delay pedal?

I have tried the Maxon AD-999 Analog Delay and it sounded good to me. I also notice Jerry's rig as having an MXR Analog Delay.

I assume digital delay is bad for some reason.

So what's the scoop?

#18751  by shakedown_04092

I have the Boss DD-6 and am NOT a big fan of it. It's a great delay pedal loaded w/ features such as Warp, Hold (aka Loop), Reverse, etc., but the fact that you can't change it to those different settings on the fly makes me give it a thumb down - you have to reach down and manually turn the knob....who does that while playing???? C'mon! Really, that's my only gripe, other than that, I like it. But for $160, I'd save a few more bucks and get the Boss DD-20 for $220. I heard the DD-20 is better, but have yet to try it out.

I was going to get a Line-6 Delay, as they are very popular, but I've also heard from more than a few people that these are extrememly fragile and break down fairly easily, so that has scared me away from those ones.

EDIT:

Holy shit, Crazy9.5Fingers.....you ain't kiddin'....that T-Rex is $400! It better sound like church bells for that price!

#18759  by jackaroe1276

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:Big fan of the T-Rex replica. Has everything I would ever need including tap tempo. It is definitely not a cheap pedal, but built like a tank. Phenomenal sound, and I mean phenomenal.

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/defaul ... ge&id=2325

I second this post. I play through a T-Rex, the sound can't be beat.

#18791  by spacehead333

i Think Boss DD-6's are great get two of them and you can do some spacy shit

#18796  by tigerstrat

the original Ibanez AD-80 is the bee's knees afaic. Warmest, most natural sounding decay, with infinite regeneration capability. Reissues are really excellent too, but just not...quite... as killer. 18volt pedal, be careful about supplying the correct voltage!

but also:

Moog Moogerfooger Analog Delay (around $600)
T-Rex Replica (around $400; gotta love that T-Rex Roommate tube reverb pedal as well! Next best thing to springs imo)

Way Huge Aquapuss
the vintage MXR, a la Jerry(late 70's/early 80's)
the ADA Multi-Effects Delay a la Jerry (early 80's/90's) digital
the vintage Ibanez AD-9, a la Bob (late 70's/early 80's)
...the Robert Keeley-modded Ibanez AD-9 (he very recently stopped production, so grab them where you can) very killer, with an exp pedal option.

Robert Keeley-modded Boss DD-3 with fx loop -digital

...Echoplex!! and Fulltone's version of the ultimate Echoplex, the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo or TTE... this thing is truly SICK. It's a fairly large unit, not a pedal, and More of a studio tool. At $1100 or so, if you take one to a gig (or even practice!) you are crazy, imho, but... DAMNnnnnnn. Juicy as anything you've ever heard.

and of course... the ubiquitous Line 6 DL-4. I personally am not too crazy about 'em but I'm friends w/ lots of players who go nuts over L6 stuff.

#18803  by jahozer

I use a DD-5. It seems easier than the DD-6 because the tap tempo is a seperate pedal. The DD-6 uses the stomp latch to set tempo. It is digital, so its not inherantly warm or anything, but I really dont need it for analog sounding delay.
I really wouldnt consider a delay without a tap tempo. It just locks in sooo nice.

I also have it modded to control the volume of the delay with a vol pedal. Its really nice to do tempo and delay vol on the fly.

#18853  by HawaiianDedhed

Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated.

. . . and I thought $337.50 for that Maxon AD-999 was expensive.

By the way, I'll try to post in the appropriate section next time.

#18866  by strumminsix

HawaiianDedhed wrote:Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated.

. . . and I thought $337.50 for that Maxon AD-999 was expensive.

By the way, I'll try to post in the appropriate section next time.
Agreed it is very expensive. However, I've played a few Maxon pedals and they are head and shoulders above most everything else I've played.

Expensive yes, but less costly than buying a second pedal and maybe a third pedal til you find what you need.

My advice is either eBay it or private seller it. But if you can't do that then buy from a shop with a return policy so you can audition it with your rig.

I was scared to death with some of my more expensive pedal purchases but now I am so happy that I spent a few extra bucks on some pedals.

BTW, $250:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0131848484

#18892  by myoung6923

I use the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay - it's actually the same one that John K. with DSO uses. The thing that I really like about it is that you can program 4 presents with an additional manual setting - so you can have 5 different delays set up and you can punch through them with a press of the pedal. It has 2 pedals - one for on/off and one to step through the presets. It can also be used for looping and tap settings. The presets are great - you can set it up for a light rhythm delay sound and then make each next preset more and more spacey - that way, during a lead you can punch up the sound you want, go back to a rhythm setting or turn it off all together.

Great unit

#18908  by BayAreaBB

I picked up a Maxon AD-9 Analogman modded on Ebay for $350. Love it - very easy to dial in with a multitude of sounds and very warm.