When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #18685  by guitarpatch

Haven't listened to these guys in a long time until I saw that they were still touring. Just listened to their new album, and was impressed. Good Times.

ALL MUSIC GUIDE
Review : by Stpehen Thomas Erlewine

What is The Next Adventure? Not to put too fine a point on it, but for the Marshall Tucker Band it's simply surviving, finding their way as veteran rockers - the kind that doesn't get respect from critics, or even the world at large, but they still have plenty of fans that will buy compilations, concert tickets and new albums, like 2004's Beyond the Horizon or its 2007 followup, The Next Adventure. This isn't quite as lively as that '04 comeback, but it doesn't need to be: this is the sound of the Marshall Tucker Band relaxed and confident, knowing that their audience is there and playing direction to them. As such, it feels familiar - the blend of country, blues, & rock, is certainly tied to their '70s peak - but it would never be mistaken for the work of the band 30 years ago, not just because guitarist Toy Caldwell is among the departed, but because this is a warm, mellow record that rarely raises its temperature but never sounds, lazy either. It's comfortable, but in the best possible way - the kind of record that longtime fans, who have stuck them through the ups and downs, will like but may not carry the same resonance for those who haven't been through the twists and turns because this familiarity only gains resonance when you know what the MTB has been through.

#18686  by Banjomike0319

Yeah these guys are great.

They came to my little town of Oshkosh,WI last year for water fest but they didn't play because it rained kinda disapointing.

Good band though, love em.

#18692  by shakedown_04092

Our band covers Fire On The Mountain by them,....very powerful lyrics/message in that one. Love it. :cool:

#18706  by amyjared

I liked covering Can't You See, but must say that since I read that they held an anti-dixie Chicks show, where people were allowed in free with Dixie Chicks tickets (due to the chicks comments about Bush), really turned me off to them. I usually try to keep politics from coloring my opinion, but couldn't in this case. INHO.

#18722  by HOWEYMAN

I like this band a lot. I went into the local used record place and picked up like 5 of their albums on vinyl. Just plain great music. I also seen them one summer at a local fair here in Michigan. I swear there was only 350 people there to see them. The lead singer (sorry I can't recal his name) had a sore throat and his singing was real ruff. The band more then made up for it. I remeber just standing there in the middle of one of the jams, thinking, this is some of the best live music I've seen anywhere at anytime. Just great stuff.

#18723  by grateful4booze

I always liked those guys.

#18834  by Django

Was one of my favorites in the mid '70s. During the first show I saw them do, I turned to my friend and asked 'who does this remind you of?', and I meant the Dead because of how they (MTB) would get to a quieter dynamic and percolate away on those longer jams. Also at the infamous Ozark Mountain festival in Sedalia, MO Toy played steel pedal on a tune which was cool. Once Toy Caldwell and then his brother Tommy passed away I kinda lost interest. Is there any other genre of rock music that has lost more guitarist and bassist combos then southern rock?

#18861  by mttourpro

I read that they held an anti-dixie Chicks show, where people were allowed in free with Dixie Chicks tickets (due to the chicks comments about Bush), really turned me off to them. I usually try to keep politics from coloring my opinion, but couldn't in this case.[/quote]

#18862  by mttourpro

I read that they held an anti-dixie Chicks show, where people were allowed in free with Dixie Chicks tickets (due to the chicks comments about Bush), really turned me off to them. I usually try to keep politics from coloring my opinion, but couldn't in this case.[/quote]

Not that I like the Dixie Chicks, but if they're that staunch about defending Bush, I wouldn't see them either.