#17885  by bobbybobbob

Hey all,

I've been playing instruments for a little under 2 years now, and singing for about 3 months. I wrote this song last autumn but just got around to recording it today. It's got acoustic, electric, bass, harmonica, and mandolin parts in it. I hope you like it. I can't sing very well but writing the song was a lot of fun. Sadly... it doesn't sound like the grateful dead... but I'm getting there!

Critism is appreciated. Just don't make me cry, I was only in preschool when Jerry died!

Peace & Cheers.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/10/ ... fodils.mp3

PS- I'd like to thank everyone for contributing to this site, for it has been my resource in learning music. 8)

#17895  by shakedown_04092

Hey, great job, it sounds really good and I like the song :cool: . It was a little hard to hear your voice, though, my recommondations would be to re-record it, turn up the vocals so we can hear you better (you have a good voice!), and maybe turn the electric down a little in the mix - it was kinda loud when it came in. Other than that, I thought it was great! Keep up the good work.

Also, really liked the harmonica parts...well done!

#17898  by nicolasalk

Hey good song man, really great i'm talking seriouslly, do you have a web site or somethign like that i would like to hear other things.
The only problem is the voice, too low, but it produces a strange good sound.
Great song

#17972  by bobbybobbob

Thanks guys! I readjusted the levels so things should be more evened out. Turned down the guitars and uped the vocals. I don't have a website or anything like that but will be recording my stuff until summer break ends. I'll be sure to share them with the forum as I finish more.

#17986  by d-v-s

did you adjust the levels on the file out on fileden, cuz the version I just downloaded sounded good. The levels were all good, IMO.

The song has a nice mellow feel to it. I think I'm getting a contact buzz listening to it. :D

I agree with shakedown - the harmonica bits were nicely done, and I liked the touch of mandolin in the beginning.

Well written song. :cool:

#18038  by Billbbill

That was real nice. Has a bright feel to it. Kind of seduced my ears as it went along.

I'm certainly no sound, mixer guy but it seems very well put together.

Bravo. :cheers:

#18040  by zoppenheimer

You're right.
It doesn't sound like the grateful dead and it shouldn't, it's your own unique sound, and that's even better. Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed it. Love the tone you get on the electric in the background. I could see some nice 3 part harmonies in there too. But good job, keep it up. I wish more people in my high school were more into this stuff. I was in preschool when Jerry died also, I've seen Ratdog and DSO, but it would've been cool to see the Dead with Jerry too. At least we've still got the music.

#18046  by jackaroe1276

Geez I almost missed this thread! Sounds really nice! One suggestion, copyright this right now. All it takes is burning the song on a cd and sending it with a letter to the copyright office. Sorry I don't actually know the address but definitely look it up. It really is a hell of a good song and while I don't think anyone here would steal your song, you never know who might drop by. It's seriously a very good song, copyrighting it means it's yours forever.

Vocally, I just suggest you open up a bit. You have a good voice, just let it go. Outstanding my friend!

#18091  by jackaroe1276

As to it not sounding like the Dead, so what!!?? It's an extremely well put together, smart song and it really does sound great. I really dig the whole vibe of it, it kind of is the direction I'd love to see some of today's jam bands go. I'm kind of getting tired of bands like Umphree's McGee trying to sound like Satriani over jam rhythms. This song has feel, and that's what jam songs are to me. As to what I said about your singing, please don't take it the wrong way. I can hear a very good voice in you, I just think you might have been holding it back a bit. I bet you can really wail on that song if you let it go! And please for the love of god copyright it!!

#18194  by jackr

I cant find the file. the link is not working.

#18196  by st. stephen

yeah same with me, after reading the coments i was curious about it....
and it wasn't there :?
HELP

#18222  by Billbbill

Just so you don't adjust your tv set, it's not there for me anymore either.