Chat about Equipment Info
 #17010  by shakedown_04092

Maybe on a night where they wanted match their vocals or whatever?

As in, I just listened to this 1/2 Step and after tuning my guitar 2x, they are defintely tuned up, maybe a...uhhhh...1/2 Step, I think....uhh...wait.....did they do that just for this song? I'll have to keep listening to this show, but if anyone knows if they actually did this for entire shows, lemme know.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd89-04- ... efail.shnf

EDIT - ok, this is gonna sound silly, but after reading some of the reviews on the archive for this show, a few people say that the pitch has been tweaked, which I guess is why I couldn't get my guitar to tune w/ the boys. My bad.

#17014  by ker1227

sort of on topic but i know that jerry sometimes messed w/ the gauges of his strings for effect.

#17030  by LazyLightnin

the reason that the show seems 1/2 step down or up is becuz the playback speed from the master reel was off when it was copied. ive run into several shows like this. i went back and played along with the aud recording of the show and it was right on. but thats just the shows i ran into. 8)

#17032  by BlobWeird

I have a JGB show like that. I think 10-11-75 or somethin like that. Somewhere in october of 75. But yeah it sucks i wanna jam to it but then id have to tune my guitar all out of whack. Ive never seen a full half step higher or lower though. this was like a "quarter" step or an "eighth" step. In other words it was just out of tune.

#17035  by ebick

That can be fixed

#17036  by shakedown_04092

ebick wrote:That can be fixed
Is it easy?

#17037  by ebick

well, I have a program called Cool Edit 2000. It let's you adjust time and pitch (you can do these independently, but usually if it's high, than it's fast as well, and vice-versa). So, you record a segment and play with it to see how much it needs to be adjusted. To do this, you simply highlight the segment and use one of the presets for raise or lower. It sounds harder than it is. You tune to 440 and when you can play along with it, you know what the adjustment needs to be. Then you record in the whole tape and apply that change to it.

#17043  by shakedown_04092

Hey Ed,

I found "Cool Audio Edit 2" on download.com....is this the one you have? If it's not, is there anywhere that you know of I can DL it for free or do I have to buy it?

Thanks for the input.

#17044  by ebick

Is that Syntrillium?

#17050  by ebick

No that's not the same thing. Look for a PM from me.

#17052  by confusions_prince

Audacity is also good for changing pitch.

#17820  by Django

Another suggestion would be to play a song from that show that you know the key of, while you play along with one note from that key, ie. low 'E' if in E; and just search for a match until you're 'close enough for rock and roll'. Then tune the rest of the strings from that string. If it's only within half step up or down you won't damage the guitar or innocent bystanders in any way. Then after you're done playing along with the recording use your tuner to put it back in concert pitch for the next time you're playing with other people. Great ear training!

#17850  by shakedown_04092

Django wrote:Another suggestion would be to play a song from that show that you know the key of, while you play along with one note from that key, ie. low 'E' if in E; and just search for a match until you're 'close enough for rock and roll'. Then tune the rest of the strings from that string. If it's only within half step up or down you won't damage the guitar or innocent bystanders in any way. Then after you're done playing along with the recording use your tuner to put it back in concert pitch for the next time you're playing with other people. Great ear training!
I was already doing that.....but the point is that I'd rather not have to tune up/down all the time, you know? Not a big deal, just kind of a pain in the arse.

#17858  by tigerstrat

Imho, singing in "real" pitches is much better for training your voice, as opposed to tuning up to, and then singing to an off-speed recording.