When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #17756  by mutant_dan

Here's the deal, looking to get a bunch of like minded heads together on a regular basis on the weekends to jam. Hoping to change locations every couple weeks and spreading the music/craziness around town. Something like an impromptu festival without a permit or organizer.

Might eventually put together a yahoo group with schedules and charts.

I want to make the initial post somewhat comical and draw in as many people as I can.

Here is what I have so far. Feel free to add any comments that might spice this thing up..

Thanks,

-------------------------
Looking for others to jam acoustic traditional Americana music. Low key, no egos, no speed demons. Just some fun. All ages welcome.

Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia, Bob Dylan, The Band, Grisman/Garcia, Ralph Stanley, Doc Watson, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Louvin Bros., Delmore Bros., Jim & Jesse, Johnny Cash, anything old timey/traditional.

Guitar, Stand up Bass, Banjo, Dobro, Fiddle, Mandolin, Cello, bongos, squeeze box, spoons, mouth harp, wash board, wash tub, jug, shoe lace, beer keg, arm pit, face slappin, whatever, as long as you don't have to haul around an amp to play.

Simple fun stuff. Please consider yourself at least semi-competent and/or semi-conscious.

Hoping to hook up on weekends in a local park, camp ground, parking lot, vacant building, boxcar, holding tank, where ever.

Please let me know what instrument you play and what day/time is best for you. I'll do my best to reply to everyone at once.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

#17757  by strumminsix

Hey Dan! I've learned a few things about CraigsList:

1 - most people on their suck so keep a thick skin
2 - jamband musicians are rare so be patient and repost weekly
3 - most jamband musicians not in band are flakes and be ready to sort through their worthless emails

To counter point 3 I try to write ads that are very intelligent clearly stating my intentions, desires, and goals for the band. In addition, I make it a point to clarify that this is to be a working not a basement band.

Doing this has helped me get better musicians...

#17758  by mutant_dan

I recently remodeled my home and rather than hauling a bunch of usable material (sinks, garbage disposal, fireplace insert, tile, lumber) to the dump, I offered them up for free on craigslist.

The vast majority of the people did turn out to be flakes.

I suppose I am prepared for the flake factor.

On the other hand, I play every day at lunch in a park across the street from my work. I have had at least a dozen homeless people show up and ask if they can jam with me. I haven't had a negative experience yet.

One guy had just got out of prison the day before and took his $200 gate money and purchased an acoustic guitar. He turned out to be a pretty talented musician and we exchanged licks for a good hour until my boss called on my cell wondering where I was...

I don't think my intent is to really build a performance type band out of this, rather a weekly open jam session that has legs..

#17763  by Shaggy

You guys have it easy!

Trying to meet and put together musicians with jamband ideals here in England is very difficult!!

People are either into full on folk or jazz. And then you have indie rock, yawn... It's like three different streets that they live in and never feel the need to leave.

#17790  by BuddhaG

mutant_dan,

this sounds like a really great idea. i think you pretty much have it down in your original post. it sounds like something i would totally be interested in... jam on some classic tunes and learn some new songs in an easy-going crowd. sounds like a folkie club of sorts :)

which part of the country are you located in?

#17791  by deadguise

That looks like a good post, you'll find flakes everywhere but I've met many good musicians through Craigslist. Give it a shot.

#17800  by mutant_dan

BuddhaG wrote:mutant_dan,

which part of the country are you located in?
I live in a suburb of Sacramento, where we are about 90 miles from everything I love (skiing, surfing, scuba diving, salmon fishing, whale watching and of course the reason that brought me here originally, the San Francisco music scene)..