#17597  by b weird

I was messing around with my guitar yesterday and I started playing Whiskey in the Jar. So I'm playing the lead intro and that doesn't sound bad going from lead to rhythm but when I got to the place where Jerry soloed and I went from rhythm back to lead and it just sounded weird going from a nice steady rhythm with nice full sounding open position chords to a single note solo. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or is this a just greek to you? And if anyone does know what I'm talking about could someone please tell me how to make rhythm to lead sound less choppy. Thanks in advance.

#17622  by jackr

You could get a loop pedal and prerecord some rhytm (or bass if you have one) and hit the pedal when you go to lead to have a nice full sound.

I use a digitech Jamman all the time and love it.

#17638  by IamDocWatson

take a fuller lead

revolve the lead around the chords, do arpeggios of chords, add strums in between notes...realy really
!imply the chord! listen to some of the solo acoustic garcia stuff. he does alot of arpeggios and relys on chords to pick the lead out of... but no matter what it is hard to take a single note lead with no rhythm...work on your chord melody stuff...strum triads and pick out notes inbetween...theres a ton to do but u just want to fill it out and imply the chords and stick to the melody....kind of think of when your playing the ripple intro, you keep the rhythm going while picking out the melody...take it as far as you can without straying...dont do any noodling you will lose it

#17640  by caspersvapors

i agree on listening to Garcia's solo acoustic stuff

#17644  by b weird

Thank you Doc Watson I never even thought about fuller leads. thanks again for the help. Also how mush would a loop pedal cost and what is some good acoustic acoustic Jerry to listen to to get a feel for fuller leads.

#17656  by IamDocWatson

theres a cool one with a bunch of classics from may 5 82(i think) oregon state prison..it may be with kahn on bass but just jerry besides that and he takes some leads on that show