#174966  by MonochroMushroom

I recently came into an Orange Pedal Baby Amp head. I plan on pairing it with my Victory Duchess pre-amp pedal. I have an empty 1x12 cab and am wondering which Weber speaker to choose.

I have a 1x12 with a Weber California that usually stays hooked to my Quilter US Superblock. I would like to have a different speaker in this cab for the Orange. Maybe a middle ground Bob/Jerry speaker. I'm leaning toward the Chicago but I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks so much in advance.
 #174967  by lbpesq

Not exactly answering your question, and I don’t have experience with Weber speakers, but I thought I’d offer something to consider. My “Bobby rig” is an Alembic F2-B preamp into a Cavin DCM200L into a pair of 1x12 cabs loaded with JBL K120s. I also have a smaller SSP 1x12 that I use with my Superblock US (GREAT little amp). Since I already had the JBLs in 1x12s, I put a neo speaker in the SSP. Now I have the option of going lightweight. I found an old Jensen Neo 100 on Craigslist. The Jensen sounds quite good, similar to the JBL, and weighs 10 lbs. less. It’s great to have the lightweight option for a quick grab ‘n go jam. I also really like the Celestion Copperback Neo in my Quilter Aviator Mach 3.

Bill, tgo
 #174968  by Jon S.

As a fellow Jensen Neo 12-100 and Celestion Neo Copperback owner, l second Bill’s sagacious suggestions. Some find them closer to EVs than JBLs. To me, they’re simply excellent sounding, lightweight speakers.
 #174969  by MonochroMushroom

Thank you, Bill and Jon!

I'm open to any type of speaker, I just have had a good experience with the Weber California and their CV (Cerwin Vega).

I run the California with aluminum dome through my Superblock (great Amp, Bill, thanks for the recommendation) and it does great for Jerry stuff.

My buddy bought the Pedal Baby and liked it but decided he's going the full modeler route so sold it to me for $200. I have a Victory Duchess pre amp pedal that I bought to be my eq and American tones.

The Pedal Baby is super neutral and really let's the pickups shine. The Duchess adds all the American Flavor and chime that I want for this rig.

I just want a speaker that pulls a pretty good Bob tone and handles some Walkin' Blues or a bit of the heavier distortion.

The Weber California doesn't like the full tilt distortion, which is clearly stated on the website. The CV is good for most classic rock situations with a Big Muff or anything but it's a bit...dark? And that honestly could be because I use the California 90% of the time.

I will definitely look into the Copperback though!

Thank you again,
Have a Fantastic Day!
 #174970  by strumminsix

Weber has a Neo line of speakers that have great JBL flavor.

I have a 1x15 and a 2x12. But I do Bobby stuff in my bands!!
 #174971  by MonochroMushroom

Hey Strummin!

Good to hear from you! Those Neo Webers, do you do the aluminum or paper caps?

Like I said, my California doesn't like anything more than an overdrive. So I'm open to anything.

I was looking at the Chicago as it says they are good for Blackface amps but with a warmer top end.

I also read the Copperback is a very open and pleasant speaker as well.

The Orange is very open and organic sounding with my pickups, The Copperback is supposed to be similar. It let's the tone come through without much color.

I love my California and my CV is great for Allman Bros type stuff, it just seems a little dark and muffled no matter what I try to do for it.

Thanks for your response!
 #174978  by strumminsix

MonochroMushroom wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:23 am Hey Strummin!

Good to hear from you! Those Neo Webers, do you do the aluminum or paper caps?

Like I said, my California doesn't like anything more than an overdrive. So I'm open to anything.

I was looking at the Chicago as it says they are good for Blackface amps but with a warmer top end.

I also read the Copperback is a very open and pleasant speaker as well.

The Orange is very open and organic sounding with my pickups, The Copperback is supposed to be similar. It let's the tone come through without much color.

I love my California and my CV is great for Allman Bros type stuff, it just seems a little dark and muffled no matter what I try to do for it.

Thanks for your response!
Hi! Glad to help!! Dust caps! They handle distortion just fine. But I don't push them into speaker distortion.

I thought the Cali was dark and moody. These are light, lively, and nice open clear brighter tone!
 #174982  by Cumtax

I load 2 Californias in my Twin, 1 Ceramic and 1 Alnico. The first week or so, when pushed, they sounded like shiet: boxy, thin, rattly and unpleasant.

Once they broke in, starting from the second week on, they became speakers able to handle everything. By that I don't mean they handle distortion "good enough" but I mean they handle distortion like any other speaker would.

I absolutely love them.
 #174991  by Searing75

The Chicago is a great speaker! I highly recommend it. Used them in a Twin, and it sounded great. My buddy used them in a Peavey Classic 50, and his tone was fantastic!
 #174992  by Jon S.

I don't know what Weber's current Neo speakers sound like. But I used to own a pair of their 1st gen Neos a decade + back. Weber claimed to have voiced them after Ds and I'd definitely agree. However, I also own a JBL D120. The Weber Ds I had were thinner in the mid with a piezo-like high end that were useful in appropriate applications but ruled them out for me as JBL D replacements (which is why I sold them).
 #174993  by Darkstar860

Jon S. wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:33 am I don't know what Weber's current Neo speakers sound like. But I used to own a pair of their 1st gen Neos a decade + back. Weber claimed to have voiced them after Ds and I'd definitely agree. However, I also own a JBL D120. The Weber Ds I had were thinner in the mid with a piezo-like high end that were useful in appropriate applications but ruled them out for me as JBL D replacements (which is why I sold them).

I thought the same exact thing when i had the pair i had for a few years there. Def thinner and my ears just cant cleanly hear certain freq anymore and those speakers seemed to fuck with my horrible hearing haha! Without that oomph of a D i just didnt hear it correctly. I can blame that on me and my horrible way or taking care of my hearing all these years. Im def someone who can say "I should of...". But i dont think it was just my ears because this is the 5th conversation ive had on this same exact topic. But hey different strokes for different folks.
Jon S. liked this