#165980  by MikeInMarin

Hi folks. I’ve got some cool Jerry rig news for anyone like me who’s been looking for a more portable solution. I have been considering going the small combo route for a while but it just doesn’t make sense given the options and costs to really do it properly. So I’ve also been considering getting a Milkman “The Amp.”

Some of you may recall that I started a post on this over a year ago or so, and I finally got my act together.

After trading some emails with Tim Marcus, the owner at Milkman, and doing a lot of research, I decided to pull the trigger on The Amp this past weekend. It sells for $699 new. I am blown away.

Here’s a video I just did with it using a JBL k-120 and no other effects, other than some ditto looper, tho going through my full pedalboard. I could write a lot on my opinions, but I’ll just post this video and be happy to answer questions.

I also plan to do a shootout comparison with my main rig, which is an SMS CTP and McIntosh MC-50.

Tim was really great and told me he's patiently waiting for all the Jerry players not named "John Mayer" to discover The Amp. So I guess Mayer's a fan, though he doesn't go for the Jerry tone like many of the rest of us, so I'm not sure it's apples to apples, though clearly that's a great compliment for The Amp, in general.

dmagalhaes, paulinnc liked this
 #166110  by Alobar

That sounds really good man! Thanks for the clip. Every clip I have seen of this amp it always sounds really dull and muffled. You def got those snappy Jerry tones from it. Any other thoughts on comparing it to the Mc SMS set up?
 #166119  by Flanker_27

I've heard good things about this amp as well; would you guys know a good shop that stocks them in South-Western Europe? The thing is that I've been looking at houses for sale in the Algarve for the holidays, and having a small, portable amp is what I'll need in that situation (not that I'll carry it around between my main residence and there, but I don't want to install a large studio-grade sound system there either, a small amp is perfect). I'd prefer something in Portugal or Spain if possible, but any EU-based shop will do the trick.
 #174800  by Darkstar860

I got one of these in a trade recently and im blown away. This and the SMS are hands down the 2 best units out there in a light weight package. Mine came with a Ruby labeled JJ which i replaced with a RCA 12ax7 and WOW what a difference. Im not sure if this tube came stock in this or if the previous owner put this JJ/Ruby tube in it. But def change the tube if you buy one of these and it has this JJ/Ruby preamp tube.

Other than the tube, i have no issues with this at all. This is crazy how good this thing sounds in a package this small and light. Ive experimented with the amp thru Celestions, Jensen's and JBL e120s. All sounded wonderful. Right now ive had it going into a c12K Jensen and its really vintage sounding. Ive tried my Bean, Wolf and G&Ls thru it and it doesnt disappoint.

Im curious is SMS is thinking about making a floor unit like this ?

I traded one of my Wolf guitars away for this and a G&L S500. Im content with what i got and the other person is happy with the Wolf they got. Nothing beats both people being content on a trade. :-)

I have the black Milkman with boost and reverb.
 #174806  by Jon S.

Yours is the best sounding demo of this amp I've heard. As others have noted, in other videos, it's sounded dark/muffled/unattractive but you sound (and play) great. Kudos on the demo!