Musical Theory Abound!!!

#16678  by ronster

Most excellent. Your voice sounds like Robert Hunter except you can sing. What is your recording setup?

#16680  by lostsailor8782

you freakin rock

#16682  by navajo

rad bro. how about, if you have a camcorder, film yourself jamming on some dead songs and upload them to youtube? i'd love to see ya play.

i love to watch these two guys do covers of phish and dead:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sneakypower

they are greaaat

#16714  by jackaroe1276

Thanks again for all the replies! Definitely fills me up to hear that you guys like it. As far as the tab request, that would be very tough as I don't really go in with much of a plan, I just go by feel over the modes. I might give it a try. Kevo, check you pm, I'm definitely down for some jamming.

#16720  by amyjared

I think it's great! I wish there was a program that you hooked up to the guitar that tabs what you're playing! That way, you could easily create the tab. Why don't one of you folks create that program? Anyhow, keep em coming as they're great!

#16721  by confusions_prince

amyjared wrote:I think it's great! I wish there was a program that you hooked up to the guitar that tabs what you're playing! That way, you could easily create the tab. Why don't one of you folks create that program? Anyhow, keep em coming as they're great!
Jared, that might not be too hard with a MIDI guitar. Don't know who has one. The folks at Planet CCRMA ("karma") would know best. They do wild things.

#16730  by dancing mantis

Wow - that's the best one yet! I love this song. Very very nice.Any chance you can give us a hint as to what you are doing on the guitar? The basic chord structure is simple enough, but you are doing all kinds of neat runs and fills and other sorts of extras and ornamentions. Great voice by the way (I hate you - just kidding - wish I could sing like that!). Thanks.

#16732  by ebick

jackaroe1276 wrote:why not here's another:
Dude.....is that the song they used in Coming To Americe as the theme song for that stuff that the sleazy boyfriend's family sold?

#16733  by bodiddley

Wow, that was really moving. I was to the point where I was tired of that tune and often skipped it but your version is quite beautiful. Get yourself some originals together!

#16762  by kevo

ebick wrote:
Dude.....is that the song they used in Coming To Americe as the theme song for that stuff that the sleazy boyfriend's family sold?
ROFL SOULGLO

#16773  by jackaroe1276

ebick wrote:
Haha!! Maybe that will be my stage presence, a 30 year old white boy with soulglo in his hair!!! Hey man, everybody needs an image :cool:

#16787  by jackaroe1276

dancing mantis wrote:Wow - that's the best one yet! I love this song. Very very nice.Any chance you can give us a hint as to what you are doing on the guitar? The basic chord structure is simple enough, but you are doing all kinds of neat runs and fills and other sorts of extras and ornamentions. Great voice by the way (I hate you - just kidding - wish I could sing like that!). Thanks.
Sure. It's played with a capo at 3, so it's actually in the key of A#. The chord shapes are G, D, C for the verses (actually A#, F, D#). The lead into the chorus (just like my daddy used to say)chord shapes are Em, F, G (actual chords are Gm, G#, A#). At "sometimes a man....", the chord shapes are Em, C, C (like a woman), G. "woman too..." is Bm, C, F, D. The actual chords are Gm, D#, D#, A# and Dm, D#, G#, F respectively. I really don't actually think of what the actual chords are with a capo until the lead comes in, where of course you need to be in key, but otherwise when I play with a capo I just think of it as relative chord "shapes". Hope that makes sense.

As to the fill-ins, here's the intro:

E|----------3--
B|----------0--
G|-------0--0--
D|--0h2-----0--
A|-------------
E|----------3--

then:

E|----------------------------------------0--0--1--1--3--3--
B|1-/-3--3--3--3--3--3----1-/-3--3--3--3--0--0--1--1--0--0--
G|2-/-4--4--4--2--0--2----2-/-4--4--2--0--0--0--2--2--0--0--
D|----------------------------------------2--2--3--3--0--0--
A|----------------------------------------2--2--3--3--------
E|----------------------------------------0--0--1--1--3--3--

little fill-ns for each chord are pretty simple (use hammer on/pull offs for each):

h p h p h p
E|--3--3--3--------2--3--2------------------
B|--0--1--0--------3--3--3----1--1--1-------
G|--0--0--0--------2--2--2----0--0--0-------
D|--0--2--0-------------------2--0--2-------
A|----------------------------3--3--3-------
E|--3--3--3---------------------------------

That's the gist of the rhythm, sorry I can't explain it better, but jus fiddle with it and use your imagination a bit.

#16788  by jackaroe1276

The Cassidy fill-ins between verse lines is:

E|--------------------------------------
B|-----------10--9--7h9p7-----7---------
G|--------9----------------9-----9v-----
D|--9/11--------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

and the fill in where it goes to minor is:

E|------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-----------10--9--7h9p7-----7--8v----7h8p7-----7--------------------10--
G|--------9----------------9------------------9-----9--7-----7--------9---
D|--9/11--------------------------------------------------9-----9/10--10--
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------

#17251  by jackr

Great job.

Lets have a list of your gear. Love to see your recording equipment and guitars amps etc.