rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #16116  by navajo
 Thu May 10, 2007 1:08 pm
it's a sin to pick a favourite dark star.

 #16119  by bodiddley
 Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 pm
Wise choices on DP2 and DP36, as well as the one on the "Steppin' Out " cd.

 #16122  by quonce
 Thu May 10, 2007 1:32 pm
2-18-71

 #16124  by kevo
 Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm
To me, each Dark Star is speacial in it's own way :smile:

 #16133  by grateful4booze
 Thu May 10, 2007 4:16 pm
I listened to these 3 recently and thought they were great:

11/1/68 UC Chico

3/29/69 Las Vegas

2/15/73 Madison.

It's hard to pick a favorite.

 #16141  by tigerstrat
 Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 pm
grateful4booze wrote:It's hard to pick a favorite.
Impossible; it's equivalent to saying "Pick the best page of your favorite book".

 #16149  by AugustWest
 Fri May 11, 2007 6:47 am
Favorite dark star!?!?! I couldn't even start to narrow it down. Almost all of my favorites have been already mentioned (11/11/73, 9/11/73, Rockin rhein, 8/27, 9/19/70 ect.) A new one maybe is 10/19/73 oklahoma fairground and 8/1/73 (B-Day show)

Would 69 even be a celebrated year if it wasn't for the vast amount of GREAT dark stars? Probably, but they sure help.

 #16152  by tigerstrat
 Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 am
AugustWest wrote:Would 69 even be a celebrated year if it wasn't for the vast amount of GREAT dark stars? Probably, but they sure help.
Absolutely 69 would still be huge. The Alligator>Cautions alone would do it, but you also get incredible TIFTOO's and Stephen>11's, and boatloads of other good stuff.

 #16174  by navajo
 Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
AugustWest wrote:Would 69 even be a celebrated year if it wasn't for the vast amount of GREAT dark stars? Probably, but they sure help.
Absolutely 69 would still be huge. The Alligator>Cautions alone would do it, but you also get incredible TIFTOO's and Stephen>11's, and boatloads of other good stuff.
'69 would be rad w/o the dark stars. i wish cream puff wasn't retired so early. i've found '69 shows, with dark stars or not, carry far more vibes than many other years/eras/whatever. '72 of course has the funk; everyone knows this. i've found some '77s to carry some great energy too. keith and donna brought a lot to the table.
 #27036  by andrew.shea
 Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:50 pm
HI Everyone! Looking for some help. There was once an exhaustive list of every known dark star ever performed. :shock: I found it months and months ago here on RUKind but now can no longer find it...and thanks to a reformatting of my harddrive, have lost the electronic copy i created. :?

Does anyone remember this list -- it was incredible, and WAS going to be my tool for organizing my DS collection.

Any guidance, please feel free to PM me at andrew@accessmediala.com. Thanks and have a grateful day.
 #27038  by nicolasalk
 Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:09 pm
andrew.shea wrote:HI Everyone! Looking for some help. There was once an exhaustive list of every known dark star ever performed. :shock: I found it months and months ago here on RUKind but now can no longer find it...and thanks to a reformatting of my harddrive, have lost the electronic copy i created. :?

Does anyone remember this list -- it was incredible, and WAS going to be my tool for organizing my DS collection.

Any guidance, please feel free to PM me at andrew@accessmediala.com. Thanks and have a grateful day.
http://www.deadlists.com/dlsite/dark_star.txt
:smile: :smile:

http://www.geocities.com/bsmall2/Articles/dark_star.txt
this is like a history, but is similar

 #27040  by frankielee
 Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm
As other have mentioned DP36 is cool w/Dew melting in,,,,DP11 one of the jazziest I've heard and going into CB is also one of my Top 3...LIVE DEAD goes without saying :cool:

 #27043  by Hajimemashite!!!
 Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:28 pm
11/11/73
8/27/72

they blow my mind

i was listening to the 11/11 dark star and towards the end around 32 minutes i think the jam starts to resemble a happier faster spanish jam.

8/27 needs to be heard by all
love the el paso coming out of it too

 #27047  by krzykat
 Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:50 pm
if I had to pick one I would have to say my first one which was 10-9-89 hampton. your first time is always the most memorable!