When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #16091  by Shooster

So as of right now I am looking at acoustic guitars under or right around $1,000.
The Martin's (primarily what I'm looking for) in my price range are the : DM, the DR, the D15, the 00015, and If I can arrange it, the D16RGT.

Does anyone own any of these, or has anyone played some?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for different brands, too.

#16099  by amyjared

I have a Martin D-28 that I love, and I found it used for about $1200. I would look at Craigslist. Also, if I was to buy another, it would probably be a Taylor as the ones I've played have all been sweet. For that kind of money, you should be able to get a really nice guitar. Keep looking and don't settle for something unless you really love it.

#16100  by Robey

If you are looking for a Martin, I would really recommend trying a Blueridge. I believe they are a much better value. I have a BR-280, which is the top of the line and sorta a copy of a D-45. However, I've played three others and all have great tone. I think for around $1,000 you could get a *very* nice guitar.

#16101  by tigerstrat

Taylors, Larrivees, Guilds ... check your local Craigslist for used deals.

#16102  by HOWEYMAN

I own a D3-R. Perfect since day 1. Paid $1000. You can't go wrong buying a Martin, I believe

#16103  by whitelacestrange

i got a martin D-35 new for alittle under 2 g's. pretty expensive, i could have gotten alot cheaper used, though i do love the guitar, that thing is my baby.

def go for a martin for acoustic, i've played a few D-28's and i have an old shenandoa, they all rock.

#16104  by AugustWest

I also have a blueridge and it sounds great! However it's still not a martin. If you're looking to pay around the 600-800 range blueridge is the way to go. It's great value but again not a taylor or a martin. Go ahead and check for a used martin but if you can't find any blueridge is not a bad secondary plan.

#16108  by mutant_dan

I have a vintage Martin D-18 that I picked up for 1k.

Keep looking and don't settle for something less than what you really want..

Check out the Buy and Sell area of the unofficial Martin Guitar forum http://www.umgf.com/

There is a really sweet D-18 for $1300 listed.

#16121  by Shooster

My local craigslist is severely lacking in anything close to what I want... So I'm wondering if anyone here has used Ebay for a transaction. I've heard some horror stories about guitars on Ebay, but it seems if you buy your stuff from a reliable seller, everything should be fine.... right?

I'm really leaning towards a used D16RGT right now, so does anyone have any experience?

Edit: Jesus is TC creepy in this or whaT?
<----------------

#16126  by mutant_dan

Sign up for an account over at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and post your request. I have seen a bunch of guitars come out of the woodwork when someome cuts loose with what they are looking for...

#16132  by grateful4booze

I have bought 2 acoustics on ebay. I had no problems at all. One is a Takamine 12 string and one is the Alvarez WY 1 model. I love both for different reasons.

#16134  by ronster

I have a C-16RGTE. I prefer the smaller C size since most of my playing is in the confines of my house and is better suited for finger picking. I got it for just under 1K on ebay. It has a cutaway and pickup with EQ installed. The action was high when I got it, so I sanded down the saddle and adjusted the rod and it now sounds pretty nice and stays in tune. It is worth the money but not much more. I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I changed my strings more often.

#16150  by Jimkkc

I have played a D-15, and I can't say that I was all that impressed. Then again, short of the D28's and D35's, I'm not much of a Martin fan. Check out the guilds on ebay - you can generally pick up a D-25 guild in your price range. I would put a pre-fender guild next to any acoustic guitar. I own a Guild JF-55 and a Guild F512 and both guitars fill every need that I have. That said, I could go for a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe.

Be careful with Taylors - they may look pretty and sound good plugged in, but the real test of an acoustic is what it sounds like unplugged. To me, Taylors just don't sound all that interesting unplugged - just my two cents.

#16151  by b weird

I have NO experiance with Martin guitars since I'm too poor, but I did buy an acoustic Ibanez for eighty dollars on eBay and I must say it felt like stealing. The guitar was almost brand new, it still had factory strings! The only thing wrong with it is that it has a small chip in the finish on the one side. I recommend eBay but only if you can't find what you want somewhere eles.

#16155  by Erictw83

I have a Martin D16RGT. Got it new for 1200 last christmas and I absolutely love it. Its a fantastic guitar and I would highly recommend it. I felt it stacked up well against more expensive guitars I tried in the store. Of course I have never owned or been able to give say a D28 an extensive work through. But all and all I would say I am extremely happy and satified with my D16RGT. Definately worth the money.