#159063  by tommybo

keep seeing these speakers for sale on Reverb - mean green model and a gray hound model - supposed to sound like jbl's - anybody hear or see one? just very curious but kind of doubtfull considering the price (about 150.00 ) HEMPOPATAMUS ? thanks if anybody knows -
 #159077  by Blacklodgebob

they are junk - the guy is hit or miss on any sort of warranty. your speakers could show up destroyed and the mail man would be blamed etc. Its not quite funded properly enough to put out consistant products. id stick with the other vendors out there for sure - last thing you want is an unreliable speaker - also Tone Tubby just put out a 189 Key Largo which is a smaller Alnico Magnet JBL voiced speaker like the purple haze. They sound great and are extremely reliable - quality people at TT
 #159082  by tommybo

thanks for the info - much appreciated - will look at the tone tubby , thanks again and peace.
 #159083  by pula58

I bought (and returned) one of his JBL E120 clones.
Terrible cone cry, and no treble response, and not very efficient.
It was not a hemp cone, so the lack of treble was not caused by hemp.
I returned it.
 #159098  by Blacklodgebob

tommybo wrote:thanks for the info - much appreciated - will look at the tone tubby , thanks again and peace.
sounds good. Tone Tubby also does hemp reconing to old JBL's so if you can find a d120 e120 k130 d130 that has a torn cone that can be a way to do it. Typically a new TT purple will be cheaper than reconing a vintage JBL. Personally I like having newer speakers as if they fail your in trouble. Have yet to blow a Tone Tubby in about 8 years. Touring / not touring, blasting them with octave down pedals and distortion, cranking my amps, just cant blow them out. They will attest to the same thing, they have yet to blow out a TT purple that has been plugged into the proper load. That makes me feel better when hauling shit around
 #159107  by tommybo

the tone tubby purple looks and sounds great - saw some youtube clips that were impressive - but they are only rated at 40 watts - I play thru a sms and carvin dcm200l which is 100 watts per channel - I,d be so afraid of deystroying that 40 watter ! but thanks for the input - peace
 #159213  by RLW

Weber California 12s - D120 F 'inspired' speakers - might be worth a look. I have three of them but haven't got around to putting them into anything as I have a 3x12 w/ E120s from SSP - which sounds amazing, but it's heavy. Plan to put one of the Webers into my Deluxe Reverb and see how it compares.

https://www.tedweber.com/cali12f
 #159219  by RLW

I just popped that Weber into my DR - sounds great actually. So, I would recommend them as a decent, available speaker - which are new, etc .