When it doesn't fit anywhere else

#15826  by d-v-s

Memorable concerts -

My first concert: the Beastie Boys at the Worcester Centrum - it was summer '95. The bass was boomin' and it the whole joint was vibrating...

Rage Against the Machine and the Wu-Tang Clan at Great Woods - summer of 97. My favorite rock group and rap groups at the time. They did not disappoint. Rage was awesome - pure energy.

Allman Brothers Band - Great Woods, Sep. 98. My first real jam concert. The brothers played for 3 of the most intense hours of my life. 8)

Dylan and Phil Lesh at Great Woods in '99. I had just got my first live dead album a few weeks before, so Phil and crew blew me away!!

Of course there were some great festivals along the way, that I have long since forgotten. I don't remember the name of one of them, but there was Ween, Primus, and a whole bunch of other mentionables, with Neil Young closing the show.

#15827  by ronster

Ones that stick out but in no order
David Bromberg, Leo Kottke, and George Thurogood (before he got popular and not so good) all put on amazing show in 1976 at The U of D.
Allman Brothers 1978 in Binghamton
John Mooney in a small bar in Norlens around '98
String Cheese at Wolf Trap '02 or so
Steve Kimock at State Theater '03
David Bromberg showing up unanounced at the Philly Folk Festival and doing a whole set of acoutic stuff by himself back around '80
Darrol Anger + Mike Marshall long time ago in Binghamton
McCoy Tyner in DC around '81 in a small jazz club. I was sitting a few feet from him.
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks, Hot Tuna, Asleep at the Wheel were all fun

#15832  by shakedown_04092

Roger Waters, by far. Saw him for the first time last fall and he BLEW ME AWAY. The show, the antics, the drama, and the production that goes on at a Roger Waters show is beyond anything else I've experienced. I left looking like this: :shock:
 #15834  by lostsailor8782

Well I have been seeing everybody this past year, Cheese, RRE< Jeff Austin, Yonder, MM&W, Kimock, and on and on ... for me Yonder is putting out the best energy and they have a great core of fans that make for really great shows ... Jeff Austin is America's greatest Mandolin totting rock star ... he is a great presence on stage ... The Yonder Boys Rock !!

Check out their 12-29-06 show with Keller Williams ...it was the first night of their New Years run at the Fillmore in Denver ... I was floored !!! Oh and Cheese hs put on some monumental show

#15838  by mikenohio

Here are a few outside of the dead and wsp that standout in my memory.

Pink Floyd - Manheim Germany 1988 (First Concert)
The Cure - Some small high school type gym in Germany 1988 (2nd Concert)
MMW - Tallahasse 1996
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - NO Jazz Fest 1997 w/MMW sitting in for a 45 minute jam
Jeff Tweedy solo acoustic - November 2006
Wilco - Columbus Feb 2005

#15839  by JONZILLA

The most blown away I've ever been was STS9 on 4/20/06 in Nashville. Fucking incredible. Most fun (off the top of my head) would've been Flaming Lips. It's like a kid's b-day party the entire show.

#15841  by jck_strw

INXS, 91 at the Spectrum. My first concert, so I was impressed. I disliked INXS (still do), but I was eager to go to my first concert and I was eager to get into the pants of this girl I went with. Concert sucked, girl didn't :) , but the guys in the row ahead of my were smoking up and let me share. I was a big fan of concerts after this.

June '94 (I think) - Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour, first night at Vet Stadium. I went the third night as well and actually, that took a bit of luster off of Pink Floyd.

The first night was fucking incredible. Best concert I've ever been to. I can remember walking in and hearing the hum from the stacks. We were on the floor, probably 20 rows from the stage (I waited all night for tickets, another story). Incredible. I still get goosebumps remembering that feeling (Pink Floyd was my fav. band growing up).

The third night show was identical to the second. So I was bummed by that. I mean, setlist, songs, lights, movements, set break, everything was exactly the same. Seemed to precise to me and I was always bummed by the sameness of the experience. Soon after I discovered the Dead and that solved that problem. :)

Oct. 2005 - At Jorma Kaukonen's Fur Peace Ranch. I was taking a class with Jorma, and sitting in his A-frame house, having him play Embryonic Journey for just 6 of us was incredible. And then to have him talk about the Airplane days, just shooting the shit was great. Of course we were learning, so we spent the next 2 hours learning that song from him. Incredible time.

Anything at Merlefest (Hot Tuna, Bob Weir and the Waybacks, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Gourds, RRE, Doc Watson, The Avett Brothers, Gospel Jubilators, Sam Bush, Roy Bookbinder, etc.).

#15846  by grateful4booze

I have been to a lot of concerts. Some stand out:

A relatively unknown Stevie Ray Vaughan in small clubs in Austin every weekend,

Ozzy Osbourne w/Randy Rhodes and Motorhead double bill,

UFO/Triumph double bill,

AC/DC Back In Black tour,

Rush Permanent Waves tour,

Black Crowes High As The Moon tour,

Gov't Mule shows,

Butthole Surfers shows (strange MFs),

Thin Lizzy Jailbreak tour.

#15847  by ronster

Just remembered one that stands out. I went to a small hole in the wall bar in Georgetown, CT after reroofing my house with my brothers and some friends. We were the only ones in a place that holds maybe 50 people and Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple walks in unanounced with his band and sets up and played a smoking show until the wee hours of the morning.

#15849  by BlobWeird

shakedown_04092 wrote:Roger Waters, by far. Saw him for the first time last fall and he BLEW ME AWAY. The show, the antics, the drama, and the production that goes on at a Roger Waters show is beyond anything else I've experienced. I left looking like this: :shock:
I saw them last fall at MSG and it was incredible. I loved how they had the moon in the background the whole time on a screen changin colors and what not. It was an awesome show. Everything sounded dead on. They did first set bunch of random floyd songs second set Dark side so it was fuckin awesome. Probably the best show Ive ever seen.

#15853  by jdasa

This is a great thread...

I just thought of another nug-

The David Grisman Birthday Bash, 1996, in the Warfield.

First set was the David Grisman Quintet with virtuoso from S. America playing the guitar. Second set was an Old in the Way reunion.

This is only show I've ever seen in the Warfield

:smile:

#15858  by d-v-s

BlobWeird wrote:
shakedown_04092 wrote:Roger Waters, by far. Saw him for the first time last fall and he BLEW ME AWAY. The show, the antics, the drama, and the production that goes on at a Roger Waters show is beyond anything else I've experienced. I left looking like this: :shock:
I saw them last fall at MSG and it was incredible. I loved how they had the moon in the background the whole time on a screen changin colors and what not. It was an awesome show. Everything sounded dead on. They did first set bunch of random floyd songs second set Dark side so it was fuckin awesome. Probably the best show Ive ever seen.
I caught this show on the warm-up tour of obscure places, in Istanbul, Turkey, before they headed to the big venues in the US. Standing room only, on a riverbank for a few thousand people. Great venue, awesome show... only downfall for me was that I was completely out of my element, so I didn't have any ummmm... supplies :roll: with me. No combination of beer and cigarettes can match that stoned concert experience. :(

#15859  by devil

I've been to some good ones, its tough to rank them after Phish.

2 Dead/1 Jerry then..

1.Phish - Raleigh 11/19/93

2.Rolling Stones @ Duke 10/8/05
3.Yes - Raleigh 8/14/94
4.Pink Floyd - Raleigh 5/10/94
5.Cowboy Junkies - Carrboro 04
5.5 Indigo Girls/Violent Femmes - UNC 91
6.Rage Against the Machine - Raleigh 95?
6.5 Blind Melon / Lenny Kravitz - UNC 94?
7.Pearl Jam - Charleston,SC 97?
8.Widespread panic - CU 4-15-93
9.Black Crowes/Blues Traveller/ziggy - Raleigh 8/26/95

Jam bands are so much better live than anything else, Phish and Dead shows were on a whole different level.

#15862  by shakedown_04092

d-v-s wrote:No combination of beer and cigarettes can match that stoned concert experience. :(
Ha! Ain't that the truth!