#158121  by gdrfk1990

So I saw these Godin AXSA guitars they look pretty cool. I was thinking I could add some of those features to my newest build. It seems I can't add pictures??
my newest build is a Warmoth Chambered Maple Body with a Maple top 3 Dimarzio Super 2's and a Waldo Buffer pretty much just done.. I have few questions

I am thinking of adding a Piezo Bridge what are folks experience with this? I think can make this guitar like a Godin axsa?
I am going to use the Schaller 3D-6 Piezo. It's the same bridge on the guitar with piezo added.. Do I need anything else like the ghost aousti-Phonic ? what's the best ? Can I just wire the Piezo right into the guitar ? I will most likely be playing through my Fishman when I use it like this.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
 #158126  by Jon S.

Here is my Godin LGX-SA through a Fishman Loudbox Artist. I think you'll agree the tones are excellent (hopefully you'll like my songwriting and singing, too :oops: ). I bought the guitar new in '99. It has an LR Baggs piezo system which I usually engage near full-on with some underlying mag PUP output included to fill in the sound. Skip to .28 on the video.

#158127  by gdrfk1990

I saw that Jon.. When I first saw the Godin AXSA earlier this week I thought that kind of looks like it could get some good Garcia tones and acoustic tones. I am contemplating a 1 man band show where I play my acoustic material but I play some looper rhythms I can lead over. Simple stuff like Down By The River and I do quick Em - A loop then solo over it kind of thing. Or Tangled up in blue then I loop the jam at the end. Just to spice up my solo acoustic act with some solos not get crazy with layers etc...
But then I researched the guitar and thought the construction is very similar to my new build... Mine might sound nicer ? and I think I can add this.. I don't need the synth stuff
 #158131  by Jon S.

This 2000's-ish LGX is for sale on reverb.com now for $699:

I have my eyes on a piezo-equipped Malinoski like this one for a future purchase, though not for playing Dead:

#158133  by PurpleTrails

I have a carvin AE185 that has a piezo. It looks like a thinline tele, but is a neck-thru design. I have to say that having the piezo does open a whole lot of tonal options, though it doesn't sound like an acoustic even outputting only piezo. But, I'm not 100% sure how well it would work with a wald buffer.

Having a piezo implies having a preamp to boost the relatively weak signal of a piezo, and usually one that has some compression added, and I have no idea whether the wald buffer does this or not. On my guitar there is a blend knob that dials in the amount of piezo vs. standard pickup being outputted, which is enormously useful. I'm not certain how this is wired. OTOH, you already have a battery installed, and maybe the wald buffer will work sufficiently like a preamp that you don't have to jam another circuit board in there that is going to increase the current draw on the battery.

Here's a link to a bit of an explanation of piezos vs. standard pickups on the seymour duncan site:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-t ... ic-pickups
 #158141  by Jon S.

PurpleTrails wrote:Having a piezo implies having a preamp to boost the relatively weak signal of a piezo ...
That is almost always the case. The Malinoski I posted the pic of above is one of the rare exceptions. It doesn't use a preamp. It's got its own thing going on. I very much like how they sound. Try one some day if you get the chance, it's a fascinating guitar with some truly unique features.
PICK-UP SYSTEMS:

I make several basic pick-ups and use a passive piezo in some of my of my guitars:

Piezo-
Many of my guitars are equipped with a passive piezo located under a hardtail bridge and activated by the push/pull knob on either tone or volume, depending on the specific guitar. I use is a high output piezo that has plenty of power by itself and does not need a pre-amp (hence no battery), but is a little bit wild and uncontrollable. Over the years I have figured out how to make it work with magnetic pick-ups, the main issue being that the 2 circuits don’t like each other, so they are forced together. What happens is the high end of the magnetic pups gets chopped and replaced by the piezo while the low end of the magnetic pups remains. This is good because the piezo by itself is thin and tinny- but there is no ability to blend the two. Blend pots don’t work, the piezo is either in the circuit or out, and when it is in it dominates to give a very nice and true acoustic element to the sound. The volume works for both circuits at the same time, but you can change the magnetic pick-ups below the piezo with the selector switch to shape the sound some, and there are adjusting screws through the back of the guitar that will allow some fine tuning of the piezo voicing. Please note, as of 2015 the piezo is a $100 option with a hardtail bridges only it will not work with wraptail, TOM or tremolo bridges.

Remember, these are not acoustic instruments and I am not trying to make them sound like they are, but it is a convincing acoustic-like sound with a rich full bottom. It works better with guitars than with basses because basses don’t have as much high end to offer, but it adds a nice lively string sound to basses.

PIEZO SOUND CLIP 1
PIEZO SOUND CLIP 2
PIEZO SOUND CLIP 3

http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/frames ... RAME_2.htm, click on "About," and then on "Pickup Systems"
Last edited by Jon S. on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #158142  by gdrfk1990

Thanks Jon I think there are a few ways I can go here
I can install Schaller 3D-6 with Piezo that's the exact bridge I have just with Piezo so it will go right in...They have a preamp too pricey though
I can Install The Ghost Saddles on my bridge they say they will fit and then install Ghost system with acousti phonic Preamp
I can Just buy a Godin,,, I might be leaning towards this I played the electric through the Fishman it sounded like dogmeat so I don't think my plan of using the guitar like an acoustic and electric through the Fishman is just not going to work

#158144  by Jon S.

gdrfk1990 wrote:I can Just buy a Godin,,, I might be leaning towards this I played the electric through the Fishman it sounded like dogmeat so I don't think my plan of using the guitar like an acoustic and electric through the Fishman is just not going to work
Two additional thoughts. If you go with a Godin LGX model, keep in mind:

The older ones like the one I pasted the pic of above have the original Godin-made humbuckers that most feel are awful, so count on changing them (the later ones come with a Custom Custom variant and Jazz PUPs - those are keepers).

When you want both the mag and piezo PUPs through the same amp, you use the combined mono output jack. But it's simple to run each to its own dedicated amp by plugging a second cable into the piezo out. When you do this, what was the combined out is now a dedicated mag PUP out.

Here's another example of the acoustic tone on mine (give time to load/click on main video for sound/not the best filming but the acoustic guitar tones are clearer starting at 3:44): https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... lIU2l3NmRB
 #158152  by Arafel

In my custom build hollowbody, I have a Baggs LB-6, and the guitar has a stereo output so that both the electric and acoustic signals can be live at the same time. I use a stereo cable, and a small splitter cable at the end that sends one signal to my electric pedalboard, and one to my Radial DI for the acoustic. It works great.