#156941  by augustwest1

It's not a silly question at all. The right break angle is a function of scale length, where the neck meets the body, height of your frets and, most importantly, the height of your bridge. As it happens, the break angle on this guitar is 2.6 degrees, but I didn't know that before starting: You can lay it all out on paper, and determine your precise angle, even if you have no idea what its numerical value is.

In terms of the how, I just transferred my full scale drawing to a thin/easily-worked piece of MDF and when that template was perfect, transferred it to two 3/4" pieces of MDF, attached clamps and stop blocks, etc. After roughing out the neck blank on the band saw, I use those jigs to shape both the top and bottom contour of the blank, using a bearing-guided sanding drum on the drill press. If your jigs are correct, and your drill press set up properly, it's a no-brainer to replicate exact neck blanks over and over. (Lot's of people do this sort of shaping on a router table, but that scares me both in terms of safety and tear-out, especially on the bottom side where some of the shaping is pretty extreme. There's no risks of any kind using a drill press).

If you follow the link on my initial post to this threat, look about 7 or 8 photos in for the jigs that have red handled toggle clamps on them, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
ryanhostetler liked this
 #157051  by Ross66

I am the proud owner of this masterful guitar to which I am thoroughly enjoying! Bob's craftsmanship is impeccable and setup is perfect. Ive been playing it for about a month now for Jer tone its spot on. I'm playing through a Maestro mod FYD and Mc 2505 into 2 JBL D-120's Ive been searching for the tone for quite awhile and this is as close as I will ever get in my opinion sounds amazing! I just wanted to give Bob kudos for such a killer axe!! Thank you Bob for an incredible build.
ryanhostetler liked this
 #157053  by kurt eye

Ross66 wrote:I am the proud owner of this masterful guitar to which I am thoroughly enjoying! Bob's craftsmanship is impeccable and setup is perfect. Ive been playing it for about a month now for Jer tone its spot on. I'm playing through a Maestro mod FYD and Mc 2505 into 2 JBL D-120's Ive been searching for the tone for quite awhile and this is as close as I will ever get in my opinion sounds amazing! I just wanted to give Bob kudos for such a killer axe!! Thank you Bob for an incredible build.
Congrats. Awesome guitar and rig. :cool:
 #157086  by czyfingers

Beautiful work and guitar! All I can think as I'm looking at the pictures is...I want one! Bob, can I ask what the approximate price tag would be to own one of these beauties? You can pm if you'd like.
 #157092  by TI4-1009

This is what this thread is starting to sound like to me- "Why this ol' geetar? It's just something I threw together in the shop one day...." :shock: :lol:

ryanhostetler liked this
 #157164  by mrMix

That is a gorgeous piece of wood! How does she play?
 #157396  by Anitrak

Free Jazz wrote:
augustwest1 wrote:...
Free Jazz: I assume your comment about an "interesting bevel" is a polite way of saying wrong. You might be right. I'm honestly not sure.
Au contraire. I love it, and it lends more "authority" to the axe. That's my fault for commenting ambiguously. Your bevel is not as intentionally obvious as Robert Dixon's carves over at Prairiewood Guitars, and perhaps that approach might be considered "wrong." But for a "Wolf," and the tones we imagine and conjure, I salute your decision. I PREFER it, actually. Beautiful work, and you sound fantastic on it.
What kind of bit did you use to get that bevel? I think it looks fantastic.
 #157530  by augustwest1

Here's a photo of just-completed Wolf No. 2.

Pretty much a carbon copy of the first one -- except for the quilted maple (this one uses Western big leaf maple instead of the eastern variety). Other than that, they're both made from the very same boards.
Last edited by augustwest1 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #157533  by tcsned

Your image didn't load, it looks like a URL to the page with the photo and not the link to the image itself.
 #157536  by chip

The anticipation is killing me!
 #157537  by TeeJay

The pics loaded earlier this morning...but now they are down. I got a peek and this wolf is obscene.
 #157540  by chip

Incredible work august!

I was just wondering where did you get your template?
Did you get it from Anthony (ac4468)?

Also where did you get the patterns for the inlays?
They look pretty accurate. Can I talk you into taking some
close up photos of them for me? I'm working on updating
my template drawing of Wolf and the inlays are the last
piece of the puzzle for me.