Chat about Equipment Info
 #15690  by ker1227

Was wondering if some one could answer some basic questions about a strat.

1.when and where do i play in regards to the 3 pickups?
2.Whats what with the switch?
3.Basic run down on how to use the tone knobs

thanks, keith

#15701  by hobbsy

Well, here's my take... I play a Strat and as far as p/up use and tone adjustments, it all depends on what YOU want. As a rhythm guy,I like the neck pick up. Seems a little softer to me. The bridge p/up is brighter and more for hot tones and leads. The middle p/up is just that, kind of a mix. Just play with your switch in various positions until you find what you like. It can vary from song to song obviously.

Use the tone knobs starting all the way up and adjust down for subtle tone differences. To me, this is something you need to figure out by just playing. It will come....

#15702  by hobbsy

Sorry, I didn't answer your 2nd question. Your switch has five positions for three p/ups. All the way up (towards the neck) is activating only your neck p/up. Move the switch down one click (for lack of a better term) and that activates both your neck and middle p/ups. One more click down, the center position, controls only the middle p/up and so on and so forth...

Your tone knobs work in much the same way. Depending on your switch position, tone knobs effect either one or multiple p/ups.

Hope that is somewhat helpfull....

#15704  by ker1227

thanks, that is all very helpful. So i am correct in understanding that you play directly over the pickups. I was always playing in between them :oops:
thanks , keith

#15706  by tigerstrat

You don't have to play right on top of your pickups, but they will be loudest there. ... you'll find that you can achieve differtent right-hand techniques at different places along the strings, even up on the upper-fret area of the neck!

#15707  by China Cat

switch:

-bridge
-bridge/middle
-middle
-middle/neck
-neck

tone knobs are just like any others, they take away or add "bite"

you can play anywhere over the pickups, the closer to pickups in use the louder they will be

#15708  by tigerstrat

I sometimes find myself adjusting up from the lowest tone setting on the guitar, rather than the other way around. Perhaps especially so when dialing in an envelope effect.

#15710  by shakedown_04092

I just play in the general area of the pickups. I guess I don't ever really look down to see where my right hand is. Hmmmm, maybe I should? :shock: hmmm....

#15764  by Django

As far as picking hand the main thing is where your palm rests on the bridge, it's perfect for palm muting and such, where the pick is where your fingers are in relation to that palm.