#155672  by TI4-1009

So when did the Cornell Betty-boards surface? Last I knew they were still missing.

Edit: Took me about 50 tries using 3 different browsers but I finally got a confirmed order. This one seems to be breaking the internet- as well it should. Lots of unhappy commenters at dead.net, people trying for 5 hours, etc.
 #155680  by Arafel

I was really excited to see a vinyl release of Cornell, and equally disappointed to see that rather than go from the analog masters straight to vinyl, they mastered it in digital HDCD and then transferred it to the vinyl. Seems to defeat the purpose when you have analog masters. I was about to order the vinyl release and then decided against it due to the the digital mastering.
 #155685  by lovetoboogie

The reels were never missing... they have always been available with the exception of a few shows that it was unknown that Betty recorded them. Cornell, and the bulk of the 77' gems that she recorded were transferred from the reels many moons ago. What makes this different i suppose, besides the fresh transfer and digitizing of the analog masters, is that it is rubber stamped by GD productions...which means that Betty got paid hopefully & finaly...

After giving a listen to the teaser David Lemieux played on Sirius radio today, Brown-Eyed Women & Dancin' in the Street, I love the clarity and the frequency range...but the mix is iffy. Weir's guitar as are the vocal harmonies seemed buried under the judicious use of compression that plagues these official releases. It is a beautiful thing that these gigs are getting the package treatment. The Sugaree from New Haven on 5/5 is an amazing listen, among others...

Here is the Cornell gig from an old transfer...

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-0 ... 8d1t01.shn

And some old chatter on what was recorded and how it made its way out to listening public at large...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181.0
 #155686  by tigerstrat

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:... Wait a second man.... that Barton Hall show was a fake.... The CIA or something pulled that hoax off...
Don't you mean CNN? Or the CBC? CCCP?
 #155694  by TI4-1009

lovetoboogie wrote:The reels were never missing... they have always been available with the exception of a few shows that it was unknown that Betty recorded them. Cornell, and the bulk of the 77' gems that she recorded were transferred from the reels many moons ago.
(In Bobby Moynahan character voice): "IIIIiiiiii...........'m not so sure about that?"

Wasn't this part of the "goat farm footlockers" find? From Lemieux's video he seems to be saying that their whereabouts became known a few years ago, but they didn't finally make the deal for them (Cornell & May shows) until late last year- if I'm hearing him correctly?
lovetoboogie wrote:..but the mix is iffy. Weir's guitar as are the vocal harmonies seemed buried under the judicious use of compression that plagues these official releases.
I bought the other '77 set and wasn't totally delighted with the mix and sound either, but I was in the minority on that one. But we take what we can get on these jewels!
 #155695  by lovetoboogie

TI4-1009 wrote:
lovetoboogie wrote:The reels were never missing... they have always been available with the exception of a few shows that it was unknown that Betty recorded them. Cornell, and the bulk of the 77' gems that she recorded were transferred from the reels many moons ago.
(In Bobby Moynahan character voice): "IIIIiiiiii...........'m not so sure about that?"

Wasn't this part of the "goat farm footlockers" find? From Lemieux's video he seems to be saying that their whereabouts became known a few years ago, but they didn't finally make the deal for them (Cornell & May shows) until late last year- if I'm hearing him correctly?
Au Contrare'(...in some French dude's voice) The Betty Cantor recordings were transferred to cassette with an unforgiving DBX encoding loooong time ago. It was lost in translation in that Betty Boards have been available for quite some time. The reels themselves did go underground(missing) which made it impossible for the oh-so-fresh smelling digitization process that gives us these amazing packaged goodies now! We do however have, and have had some amazing Betty Boards on cassette since the 90's...

The DAT lineage is interesting!

5/8/77: 7" two track BBD reelw/ DBX-1 @ 7 1/2 ips > PCM501ES @ 44.055 kHz
PCM501ES analog out > DBX-1 decoder > analog in PCM501ES
PCM501ES analog out > Fostex D5 @ 48 kHz

It sounds fantastic. It is much more punchy... with the dynamics of each song coming through. I believe that is what is getting lost in the current digitizing of the reels. But I am totally open minded and psyched that this stuff keeps churning out new life!
 #155697  by CountryMile Cadillac

tigerstrat wrote:
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:... Wait a second man.... that Barton Hall show was a fake.... The CIA or something pulled that hoax off...
Don't you mean CNN? Or the CBC? CCCP?
just recently changed to the every fake... or something like that.... CCCP haven't thought about that in a long time!
 #155709  by tatittle

After buying every release published (inc 2 x Europe '72 tour), then taking a few years off from official releases, I couldn't resist pre-ordering this one. Thanks for the heads up!!! I like the Buffalo War memorial show even better than Cornell, one of my favorites since high school tape trading. I probably would have ordered only that show if it was available, but I'm sure I will be happy to have the additional shows when they arrive. The Cornell Scarlet>Fire complementary download confirmed it is a release I cant miss. Im still a bit torn re: so many official releases since they block the readily available bootlegs after the releases are announced. I don't think blocking archive.org etc shows gains them many sales of the official releases at all, and the lack of those tactics in the past was one of the very endearing qualities of the dead organization. It was probably stipulated by Rhino as a condition of distribution etc though.

***just visited archive.org for 1st time in years and the shows still seem to be there. But I cant record them with my realplayer as I used to :cry:
 #155747  by TI4-1009

Box set sold out. Buuuuttt....... They are now selling the 11-set CDs without all the case candy- unlimited availability.

Marketing......