#152943  by MattMan

IMO, besides the obvious right hand finger picking/flat picking style/musical theory approach, and ability to swing, I'd say the first three pieces of gear on the list have got to be a guitar with active electronics and a middle pup, played through a Fender Twin (blackface) with a nice plate reverb, and a JBL speaker. Everything else beyond that gets you closer and closer to the tone.

I started with a strat that has EMG active single coils played through a silverface Twin, and I thought it was a very good start. Then I developed my tone-changing relationship with Waldo. First upgrade was to switch out the Twin's EV 12Ls for a JBL E120 and the tone got much closer. Next, I blackfaced the Twin and did some other mods including the preamp tap. My first amp was a Mosvalve--closer still. The MC2100 has gotten me even closer still. I also upgraded my guitar by first finding a guitar that felt good for me and that had some room for modifications. The axe of choice for me is the PRS S24. I modded the axe first with the Wald TPCsm1 buffer and the OBEL, middle pup, and Super II's. It has taken time and $, but its been super gratifying to put the rig together.

Finally, your guitar and rig have got to be functional for you--my rig just feels super comfortable for me. This way when I'm playing in the band, I can focus on the music.

We haven't addressed effects. For me, top of the list of effects for Jerry's 80's and on tone is the OBEL and an overdrive effect--I use an MXR Series 2000 and an OD-1 (and the other standard Jerry effects--octave, envelope, phase, and delay).

Jerry!!
 #152946  by JustinJohn

Technique is #1. Hands down.

As far as gear, imho:

#1 pickups>>>TPC1... (pickup position on the guitar body has a huge impact)
#2 pre-amp... (proper mods and config define the subtle detail)
#3 speakers... (warm, clean-breakup was all about the D120s for me)
 #152952  by MikeInMarin

MattMan wrote:IMO, besides the obvious right hand finger picking/flat picking style/musical theory approach, and ability to swing, I'd say the first three pieces of gear on the list have got to be a guitar with active electronics and a middle pup, played through a Fender Twin (blackface) with a nice plate reverb, and a JBL speaker. Everything else beyond that gets you closer and closer to the tone.

I started with a strat that has EMG active single coils played through a silverface Twin, and I thought it was a very good start. Then I developed my tone-changing relationship with Waldo. First upgrade was to switch out the Twin's EV 12Ls for a JBL E120 and the tone got much closer. Next, I blackfaced the Twin and did some other mods including the preamp tap. My first amp was a Mosvalve--closer still. The MC2100 has gotten me even closer still. I also upgraded my guitar by first finding a guitar that felt good for me and that had some room for modifications. The axe of choice for me is the PRS S24. I modded the axe first with the Wald TPCsm1 buffer and the OBEL, middle pup, and Super II's. It has taken time and $, but its been super gratifying to put the rig together.

Finally, your guitar and rig have got to be functional for you--my rig just feels super comfortable for me. This way when I'm playing in the band, I can focus on the music.

We haven't addressed effects. For me, top of the list of effects for Jerry's 80's and on tone is the OBEL and an overdrive effect--I use an MXR Series 2000 and an OD-1 (and the other standard Jerry effects--octave, envelope, phase, and delay).

Jerry!!
Matt - Great info. Thanks. I have a stupid question related to the Wald buffer and active pickups. Does the TCP1 make the pickups active ? I had one when I originally wired my guitar and did not notice much difference at all. The guy who re-did my wiring did not put it back in, mostly because there is so little room and he just wanted to get a fairly complicated wiring setup working properly. I also had the TCP1 in my strat before that and also notice no difference in the tone. Am I mad ? Or was it installed incorrectly ?

Been planning just to put it back in, but have not gotten around to it.

Thanks.
 #152953  by Tennessee Jedi

MikeInMarin wrote:
So you are saying I should stick with my telecaster and Vox AC-15 if I want to play in a Dead tribute band ?
good god man no !
:smile:

SMS -> Mosvalve -> JBL

1980 tone ? Super 1 pups

The Mosvalve Power and SMS Pre Amps are in a "easy on the back" case

JBL 1 x 12 - again semi easy carrying and you only need 1 speaker as everything is mic'd up anyway

Basic Jerry tone cheap and so easy to set up a caveman could do it

IMHO its too much of a hassle to lug around vintage gear

Have fun
 #152954  by MikeInMarin

TJ-

Awesome. Yeah, I am on my way to a similar setup. Just won an ebay auction for a JBL K 120, and I ordered my SMS Pre-amp yesterday. Just need the McIntosh, but will try by Fender HR Deville Power Amp section for now.

And then I need 12k for a guitar. 8)
 #152961  by jkstraw

I'm going all in on the pre-amp :-)

McIntosh and JBLs primary job is to amplify (of course they add Color too) but I have always felt tone is most notably shaped by the pre-amp.

* not mentioning the picks here - Jerry's got great tone when finger picking too
 #152964  by MikeInMarin

JDB30 wrote:In my opinion, tone is most notably shaped by your fingers, hands and musical ideas.
That is not the topic of discussion or the original question, but thank you for responding.
 #152965  by MikeInMarin

jkstraw wrote:I'm going all in on the pre-amp :-)

McIntosh and JBLs primary job is to amplify (of course they add Color too) but I have always felt tone is most notably shaped by the pre-amp.

* not mentioning the picks here - Jerry's got great tone when finger picking too
I'm glad it is the preamp in your opinion. Good point on the picks. I think they do help a tiny, but noticeable amount. I just got the Adamas ones yesterday and only tried briefly. They do make a bit of a difference, but perhaps not as much as others may have claimed, perhaps because of the heavy dunlop picks I was already using or my technique. I'll know more after testing in back and forth once my serious rig starts coming together over the next couple of weeks.
 #152968  by Searing75

Once you have the other aspects of the correct gear in place, you will notice a bigger difference in the sound from the Adamas pick. This rig is very co reliant. Each variable makes up the whole.
 #152969  by jkstraw

Searing75 wrote:Once you have the other aspects of the correct gear in place, you will notice a bigger difference in the sound from the Adamas pick. This rig is very co reliant. Each variable makes up the whole.
Ya I agree with this line of reasoning - to this point the action of your string setup (think high action) and how you attack the strings with your fretting hand should have a substantial affect on tone (at least that's what the man himself said on the topic)
 #152997  by MattMan

MikeInMarin wrote:
MattMan wrote:IMO, besides the obvious right hand finger picking/flat picking style/musical theory approach, and ability to swing, I'd say the first three pieces of gear on the list have got to be a guitar with active electronics and a middle pup, played through a Fender Twin (blackface) with a nice plate reverb, and a JBL speaker. Everything else beyond that gets you closer and closer to the tone.

Jerry!!
Matt - Great info. Thanks. I have a stupid question related to the Wald buffer and active pickups. Does the TCP1 make the pickups active ? I had one when I originally wired my guitar and did not notice much difference at all. The guy who re-did my wiring did not put it back in, mostly because there is so little room and he just wanted to get a fairly complicated wiring setup working properly. I also had the TCP1 in my strat before that and also notice no difference in the tone. Am I mad ? Or was it installed incorrectly ?

Thanks.
Yup it sure does. You'll be able to swap out the 500K volume pot for a 25K pot because you'll now be active.
 #152998  by MikeInMarin

MattMan wrote:
MikeInMarin wrote:

Jerry!!

Thanks.
Yup it sure does. You'll be able to swap out the 500K volume pot for a 25K pot because you'll now be active.
Matt- I think it already might have the 500k pot, assuming he used the one I had in there. This might explain why the tone seem lacking in treble. I need to do some experimenting. I was going to do it later today anyway. Thanks.
 #152999  by MikeInMarin

MattMan wrote:
MikeInMarin wrote:

Jerry!!

Thanks.

Matt - I just finished installing it and WOW !!! What a difference. I had already been playing through the new JBL k120 that arrived today and was really happy with the speaker difference. And when I added the Wald TCP1 back into the guitar. I am blown away. Thanks for the help. Now I realize I did not have the right volume pot when it was in my strat and that is why I was so unimpressed with it. Makes sense because all you guys use them and love them. And obviously waldo is a star contributor around these parts.

The SMS preamp is coming next and then I just need to find the McIntosh.

Mike