When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #140346  by tatittle

Yeah I loved Winter in my youngest years...white lightning. Always put on a great show in the early 90's. He seemed to have aged a lot recently...as we all do eventually. Gotta love the dedication to playing music for the folks...
 #140347  by jackr

I have seen him many times and up until the last time i saw him he was great. The last time i saw him was about 3 years ago and he was just awful. I came away feeling very saddened by it. That being said, it didnt diminish his legend in my mind.
 #140348  by tcsned

Very sad. I hope it's not true but it seems like it's so. I have a friend that played with him in Muddy Waters' band and always bad good things to say. He was a musical force. I saw him open for George Thorogood.
 #140351  by tatittle

He has this lick that sounds like a kettle boiling or something that I love. His brand of passion is rarely found outside of the deep South to this day. Seemed like such a humble, down to Earth guy too. His last years may not have been even satisfactory musically, but I applaud folks that don't crawl in a hole to die. Real life includes debilitating aging and I am certain he brought light to folks up to the end, if not musically with his smiles or mere presence. There is nothing undignified in suffering IMO, quite the opposite if it is done with grace and peaceful wisdom. We just don't like to face the hard truths of life; but it is often in these we find the greatest lessons and reward.
 #140354  by gr8fulbluz

" Live Johnny Winter And " was maybe my 3rd or fourth album. I gave it a lot of play. Brilliant stuff. :(
 #140356  by tcsned

from my friend's Facebook page:
"Just before I went to sleep last night I saw the news that Johnny Winter has passed. I was a fan when he became well-known in the late 1960s, we worked together in the late 1970s on Muddy Waters' albums and shows, and I saw him occasionally after those years. It was a thrill for me to be a friend to him in the late-'70s and early '80s. I will get asked again often now, "What was he like." We were Blues Guitar friends, mostly talked about that. He was a fan as well as one of the icons of Blues and Rock music. He could go from deep Blues to hard Rock and often put them together. He was one of the rare stars that you could recognize just by hearing a few seconds of his music, both singing and playing guitar. Rest in peace, Johnny. There will be one more ghost on my bandstand from now on."
 #140358  by milobender

I bought Second Winter when it came out... and it's remained one of my favorite recordings... I thought it was totally great, having 3 sides, two records, 1 1/2 lps, so that it could be as loud as possible :cool:
He was one of a kind; the way he could mix slide and single notes was absolutely amazing. RIP indeed...
 #140370  by FretfulDave

R.I.P Johnny Winter. One of the reasons I started playing guitar 45 years ago. Thank you for the inspiration.
 #140409  by gr8fullfred

I first saw Johnny Winter at Madison Square Garden in NYC. One of my first shows ever, although my first concert was Ten Years After at MSG. The JW concert at the garden was awesome, the garden was totally shaking that night. (remember that JW ventured into rock and roll a bit in the 70s 80s before returning to more strictly blues.) I always liked the JOHNNY WINTER AND record, which if I remember correctly had three sides to it, one side of the second album was blank.

Later on in the 90s I saw Johnny several times at the Chance in Poughkeepsie, which is a small club where you stand right in front of Johnny and be amazed. I actually got to meet Johnny at the Chance and got his autograph on one of his cds!

The last time I saw Johnny was a few years ago in Tarrytown, where he had another guitar player in the band. He was older obviously, but still pretty good.

Johnny was one hella of a great blues guitar player! I saw him many times and was amazed every time. Not doubt one of the best Blues guitar players ever and an amazing slide player, probably one of the best slide players ever! Johnny was always extremely frail and skinny and never was a picture of health, so its pretty amazing that he made it to 70 and was playing until the end!

Interesting to note that Johnny used a finger picking style, which enabled him to generate an amazing amount of notes a rapid speed. I have been a fan for along time, and feel that Johnny was very underrated, one of the best ever, fare thee well Johnny!
 #140412  by milobender

+1 on the playing... I never got to see him in person though...
I always liked the JOHNNY WINTER AND record, which if I remember correctly had three sides to it, one side of the second album was blank.
That was 'Second Winter' with 3 sides... really a great record.
 #140522  by ugly rumor

I was fortunate enough to promote two Johnny Winter shows. He was always very nice, but somewhat disconnected, I thought. I still have the Christmas card he sent. Probably actually came from Teddy Slatus, but a nice gesture.

At the second show, Teddy got off the bus first, and said he needed someone immediately to take him back to the hotel room. I offered, and the whole way, Teddy fretted about whether the room had been cleaned or not. When we got there, he bolted in, and when he returned, he was visibly relieved. I asked had they cleaned the room yet, and he said yes, but they had missed Johnny's medication, which was at the back of the drawer in the nightstand. I didn't pry, but Teddy's worry kind of spoke for itself. Barbara, Teddy's wife, died, and then Teddy fell down the steps drunk at his house and died. I understand that there was a lawsuit over mismanagement from Johnny's current management. Is it significant that he died in his hotel room? Maybe, maybe not.

My first Johnny Winter show was in 1974. At 16, I bought the "And" album, and was smitten. I still can remember every note. I saw him several times over the years. Some shows were better than others. Teddy told me (because I asked) that Johnny toured because he loved to. Teddy had managed Johnny since 1968, and Johnny was essentially the only income Teddy had. I am suspicious.

Definitely one of the greats. I am sorry he is gone, and will feel his absence in the world.