#138868  by JDB30

Does anyone have any information as to where in his signal chain Mr. Weir used a parametric EQ (late '70's/early '80's)? Was it patched in one of the IVP effects loops or after IVP? Any insight is appreciated!
 #138875  by Deadhead85

Bobby mainly used the parametic EQ on the IVP, also had the EQ that was in Cowboy. He also used a Furman PQ3, which is a parametric EQ as well, however, I read he only used that when they were doing an Acoustic set in the same night, and ran the acoustic in it.
 #138882  by mkaufman

The information we have is sketchy, at best, and don't believe what you see online.

One thing is for sure: he changed things frequently, so, it's difficult to say he did 'x' or 'y'. It's more likely he did 'x' and 'y'!

I think you need to try all combinations and find what works best for you.

btw.... I have found that simpler is better. Testing the IVP with before and after effects loops and all sorts of effects can consume lots of time and yield only frustration.

mk
 #138942  by JDB30

Did some work on this yesterday. I patched a 5-band parametric EQ into the 1st effects loop of the IVP. Since this loop is "pre-voice," the idea is to use this EQ to modify the tone of the guitar (as opposed to the amp) and it seems to work very well--I have plenty of headroom on the EQ and slight adjustments in EQ return very audible results. I ended up cutting some of the very high end shrill that is endemic to the Ibanez Artist (especially with the 3rd pickup installed) and boosted a bit of the "bell" frequencies just a hair. I feel like I "got there." In fact, I think I like it even better than Bobby's sound. I'm using a Wampler compressor on the floor and an Ashley SC-50 in the IVP's 2nd effects loop which give me that percussive attack and, post IVP, I switch between a bit of chorus & phaser (I figured out a way to emulate the pedal that Cutler built for Bob) and then some Lexicon reverb. Really sweet sound. Give it a try.
 #138959  by JDB30

I'll try to post some tonight or tomorrow. Going for '77-'83.
 #138981  by JDB30

Sorry for the delay in posting some sound samples. Trying to solve a ground loop issue that emerged yesterday. I have a feeling it's the IVP (I think I read a post about someone else having this issue and solving it with a 3-2 converter). I'll try that and, once it's clean, I'll post some samples. I have to go out of town for a few days so I'll work on this early next week.
 #138985  by Deadhead85

Yea, my IVP is the one that came up with an insane ground loop issue. It was fixed by using the 3-2 converter plug. Also, which output are you using? I finally printed out my manual, and had been using the main output...which come to find out, is more for speaker driving and such. I read that if you use the -10db output, that is designed for use with regular guitar and bass amps. I tried it, and it is quite a difference, and much quieter, though I still use the converter plug as well.

As for EQ, you hit the nail on the head. I had a reproduction ibanez eq board made, same as Bobby had in his Cowboy. I took that, along with the pots and everything to spec, and had Gary Brawer make me a custom pedal with it. MK made a pedal along the same lines as well. Anyway, I can control Mid, Bass and Treble as well as gain. I set it directly after my guitar, but before the IVP. Ive had some great results with it!