#138520  by TruckinThruTennessee

I just got my first recording of Jerry using Bolt, '93 is the year. I know what woods were used, the scale length, and the volute on the back of the neck. What I'm interested in knowing is what controls does Bolt use? Are they similar to Rosebud? What pups are in it, and what type of bridge is that? I guess I'm just interested in the hardware/electronic aspects of Bolt, (what knob does what, buffers, how did the piezo work) I truly love the sound it gets. I know a lot of you Original Heads don't care for the mid 90s sound, and that's fine by me, I never got to see them live so I don't have a "golden age" memory to recall. I just enjoy it all, my favorite years are '66-95. :peas: Any help is welcome, and any suggested listening is encouraged.
Thanks,
TruckinThruTennessee
 #138521  by Searing75

Suggested listening?? Yikes! Just keep listening to it all! :cool:

The pickups were Dimarzio Super II's. Three of them. The guitar had the onboard effects loop, and the buffer, just like his others. Volume knob, and tone knobs, switch for the OBEL, and switches to split the coils of the pickups. I am not sure what bridge it is exactly, or how the piezo works, but check out Waldelectronics for more info on the Bolt.

I have a Phiga Bolt, an love it!!!
 #138523  by TruckinThruTennessee

Searing75 wrote:Suggested listening?? Yikes! Just keep listening to it all! :cool:

The pickups were Dimarzio Super II's. Three of them. The guitar had the onboard effects loop, and the buffer, just like his others. Volume knob, and tone knobs, switch for the OBEL, and switches to split the coils of the pickups. I am not sure what bridge it is exactly, or how the piezo works, but check out Waldelectronics for more info on the Bolt.

Thanks! I will definitely follow that suggested listening advice! How does that Phiga play? I've always been the Wolf type, but after hearing Bolt, I am most interested. So many guitar choices, just show me something built to last! Seriously though, I might look into getting something with Bolt electronics in a different body. Thanks again!
 #138526  by TruckinThruTennessee

Mr. Wald, do you have any specific info on this guitar? I checked the site, but it took me back to the Cripe site. It's a cool page but that is where I learned about the wood, length, and volute. There's not much on the electronics to it.

Thanks
TruckinThruTennessee
 #138528  by mikelawson

I have a Phiga Bolt as well, and haven't pulled any of my guitars out of their cases since I got it. Phil's woodwork is amazing. The setup I asked for I got right on delivery, it plays like butter with very low action, as Les Paul-like, just as I wanted. Had to get used to 24 frets after 20+ years of solid LP playing. SDs, all coil tapping, five way switch, OBEL, plus he installed the Ghost MIDI system in it. Weighs in about 8 lbs or so, which is about the same or less than any of my LPs weigh. I am delighted.
 #138529  by TI4-1009

From what I've read when Tophat arrived the Cripe wiring came out and it went to Brawer for "the standard Garcia electronics package", so it's probably pretty close to Rosebud?

Steve Kimock owns a Cripe or two and he's very accessible, you can sometimes catch him over at The Gear Page on the Luthier's forum, or his Facebook page? Plus there's a Cripe owner here too- I think he's, uh, "cripeowner" :-)
 #138530  by myoung6923

Searing75 wrote:Suggested listening?? Yikes! Just keep listening to it all! :cool:

Just for the record, Jerry never used a piezo. That sound in the 90's came from them switching to in-ear monitors and removing all speakers from the stage. That bright tone came from Jerry's rig going direct to the board. I have heard something about having an off stage speaker that was mic'ed also - but I don't know for sure. But definitely he never used a piezo in any of his guitars.
 #138531  by TruckinThruTennessee

myoung6923 wrote:

Just for the record, Jerry never used a piezo. That sound in the 90's came from them switching to in-ear monitors and removing all speakers from the stage. That bright tone came from Jerry's rig going direct to the board. I have heard something about having an off stage speaker that was mic'ed also - but I don't know for sure. But definitely he never used a piezo in any of his guitars.
Ah, alright I didn't know about the piezo thing. So of I look into putting one together I could still have the three pups, all the coil switching, and just leave off the midi and piezo I could still get Jerry tones?
 #138532  by myoung6923

TruckinThruTennessee wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:

Ah, alright I didn't know about the piezo thing. So of I look into putting one together I could still have the three pups, all the coil switching, and just leave off the midi and piezo I could still get Jerry tones?
Absolutely
 #138536  by TruckinThruTennessee

^

Fantastic! you proud Phiga Bolt owners have got me thinking. Do you think I could order a stripped down Bolt with less intricate wood work on the body, no piezo or midi, no fret inlay or special Bolt body inlay from Phiga?
 #138537  by mikelawson

TruckinThruTennessee wrote:^

Fantastic! you proud Phiga Bolt owners have got me thinking. Do you think I could order a stripped down Bolt with less intricate wood work on the body, no piezo or midi, no fret inlay or special Bolt body inlay from Phiga?
It can't hurt to email Phil and ask him.
 #138539  by TruckinThruTennessee

mikelawson wrote:
TruckinThruTennessee wrote:^

It can't hurt to email Phil and ask him.
Just did! I'm so thankful that you experienced Heads are willing to help a young head like me try and keep this bands legacy around. I'm proud to be a member here and I'm gonna make sure to spread the Dead's legacy over just a little more ground. Thank you rukinder's for helping make my dreams a reality.
:hail:
TruckinThruTennessee
 #138540  by TI4-1009

I found Phil to be very flexible when he made my Tiger. You could add or delete just about anything from the typical model.
 #138575  by TruckinThruTennessee

TI4-1009 wrote:I found Phil to be very flexible when he made my Tiger. You could add or delete just about anything from the typical model.
Thanks, I'm still waiting for a reply, but I'm excited to see what he can do. Thanks again guys :peas:

TruckinThruTennessee
 #138697  by TI4-1009

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1282110

Still no Bolt love in Jon's poll.... :oops: