rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#138271  by lovetoboogie
 Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm
I know this guitar was played in late 72' for a short period, Winterland and Long Beach 12/72, and then it surfaces again at Nassau Colliseum in March 73'... I just stumbled across this great shot of Jerry playing it again in Des Moines, Iowa in May of 73'...

What do you think his attachment was to this guitar? He was using Alligator primarily by this time and would soon go on to play Wolf a few months after this gig...

Thoughts?

http://alandlarry.photoshelter.com/imag ... YqXFjBrk8A

#138277  by broesau
 Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:49 pm
Hmm, I never noticed that this strat had a stoptail Gibson type bridge. Seems like he was into that sort of thing during this period. Actually he never went back to a tremolo bridge after '71 or '72.
 #138373  by jeager
 Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 pm
Getting the urge to put a strat together with that type of bridge, You can have Warmoth build a body with that in mind so that you don't have to shim the neck pocket to get the right angle and all that. My current strat has a hard tail fender type bridge, its real nice but, I have recently grown fond of the gibson style bridge for reasons of comfort and ergonomics primarily. Those numbers are hideous though.