Chat about Equipment Info
 #138051  by wfrobinette

Last week my Phase 100 started getting very weak sounding and almost no volume when being played. The issue seems to come and go sporadically but happens more frequently as time goes on.

Anyone know of someone that repairs these things?
 #138066  by tatittle

Id check the battery connections, connectivity w/ multimtr btween clips and destination joint. Not exactly what you describe but lack of headroom and volme, and if yours has had batt's in / out 4 years could be a weak point.

There are lotsa components in those things too tho so something may need to be changed.
 #138096  by tatittle

I cant recommend anybody. Pedal builders like Analogman modify pedals so I imagine they would be willing to just repair it as well; it will likely cost $100. minimum.
 #138100  by Mr.Burns

If I had to guess, I'd start with a recap? Maybe that isn't the problem, but they are the usual suspects.
Look for bulging tops on the electrolytic caps (the cylindrical ones), that's a dead giveaway that they are bad. I would be willing to do a recap for a small fee, of course, but without the unit in hand it's hard to say what the problem really is.
 #138105  by TI4-1009

The discussion board at BYOC is a very helpful and friendly place for pedal advice:

http://byocelectronics.com/board/

Also DIY stompboxes board:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... 32462c1b2&

If they don't know someone can get you to the right person.
 #138202  by cmc64

I have a 1975 Script Phase 100 (the one with the "Tropical fish" capacitors), a 1976 Script and a 1977 Block. The 1976 Script and the 1977 Block while having slightly different layouts on the PCB board (really just different IC's and maybe some caps - I don't have them in front of me right now) sound very similar. However, my 1975 Script has a similar problem as yours. There is a bit of a volume drop when in use and the only setting that seems to work is position four on the selector knob (the two big ovals with the arrows pointing outwards) and that setting, while very smooth and silky, is a bit anemic. The speed control also goes from rather slow to ultra fast.

Anyway, I spoke with Richard Lingenberg about it. He fixed up my Mu-Tron III and did a fantastic job (not to mention a lightning fast turn around time). He said he could fix the Phase 100 and I am going to send it to him when I resolve my flat broke situation. He knows this gear very, very well and in my opinion is the go to guy for this kind of work. Check out the link I provided and give him a call. He is a great guy and his work is top notch. He can also customize the pedal for you (true bypass, external 9Volt power connector and so forth) and the repair costs are very reasonable,
 #138368  by wfrobinette

Anyway, I spoke with Richard Lingenberg about it. He fixed up my Mu-Tron III and did a fantastic job (not to mention a lightning fast turn around time). He said he could fix the Phase 100 and I am going to send it to him when I resolve my flat broke situation. He knows this gear very, very well and in my opinion is the go to guy for this kind of work. Check out the link I provided and give him a call. He is a great guy and his work is top notch. He can also customize the pedal for you (true bypass, external 9Volt power connector and so forth) and the repair costs are very reasonable,
Thanks for the tip on Richard. He said he could fix it, install a 9v power jack and calibrate it for $60 to $90. Seems pretty reasonable.