#137829  by PaulJay

Hey, I just picked up a Blues Master, should be here in a few days. I am going to run it into a Rockron v-300 to one E-120 and use an alesis reverb. Can anyone tell me what output I should use to connect to the power amp and should the reverb be placed between the preamp and the power amp? Thanks Paul
 #137844  by PaulJay

Thanks guys, So the Reverb should be after my pedals and before the preamp? With the cabinetulator, is the switch on bypass or tube amp? It's a little confusing because there is alot of outputs on the back of this thing.
 #137847  by TRG

I have the Bluesmaster as my back up rig, so I don't use it often, but this is how I have mine hooked up and think it sounds good. Not sure if there's a right or wrong way, but this seems best to me:

Back of Unit Settings:
Switch on far left = "Tube Amp"
"Tube amp volume" = Maxed
Switch on far right = "Line"
Then I go Cabinetulator Out to Alesis Nanoverb to Poweramp
 #137850  by PaulJay

Thanks I will try that. It makes sense to me to have the Reverb in between the pre and the power amp.
 #138098  by czyfingers

I've been running the reverb in front of the input because I assumed the line out signal would be too hot and not get good results with the pedal. How does it sound after the output?
 #138099  by czyfingers

Never mind....I just remembered the outputs can be switched from line to instrument levels....damn this little thin is versatile. They really thought of everything. It's such an underrated piece of gear.
 #138115  by czyfingers

I tried putting my EH holy grail reverb after the blues master output (between pre and power amps) and with it set to line level it caused an in undesirable distortion from the pedal. Set to instrument level it sounded fine but the signal hitting the Mac was fairly weak and required the gain on the power amp to be set much higher than normal to achieve usual volumes.
Another side note...I watched the Phil & Friends webcast last night and JK was using his Blues Master. Sounded great!
 #138118  by PaulJay

Did you try the holy grail before the Blues Master to hear how it sounded/ I figured if JK uses one it can't bethat bad.
 #138123  by czyfingers

Yeah, that's where I've always used it and thought it sounded great. This thread is what prompted me to start experimenting. When you guys said you were putting it after the output and getting good results, I figured I'd give it a try.
I'm not knocking the Bluesmaster at all...I think its one of the most versatile, unique, ingenious pieces of gear out there. I bought it on a whim as a back up to back ups and I've considered getting a second just in case something happens to it thats not easily fixable.
Have you tried it connected straight to a speaker, using its internal power section? I didn't for a long time after I got it because I didn't think a 1 watt amp in that tiny box could be very impressive and when I did, I was surprised at how good it sounded. Into a 1x12 cab with a K120 it not only sounds good, but louder than I expected. Plenty loud enough for practicing or jamming at moderate volumes without drums.
Anyone starting to put together a rig and trying to keep the cost down...I would highly recommend one of these. If I knew about the Bluesmaster sooner, it would've spared me buying a bunch of crappy amps in the early 90's when I was learning to play and on a budget.