#138042  by PurpleTrails

Cripe was working on Eagle, which is a vaguely strat-shaped semi-hollow, when Jerry died. On the Cripe Guitars website there is a quote from Cripe that Eagle was probably going to be Jerry's next guitar.

Jerry also played a Guild Starfire semi-hollow in '65 and '66, so if you can come up with a real old recording you can judge for yourself what kind of tone Garcia had playing a semi.
 #138057  by Bobbybriand

seniorpesca wrote:wonder if i should get this guitar jerryfied

Yeah forsure thats a sweet lookin axe. You could even swap out that bridge pup for a dp104 and split it for north coil active you'd be right in the sweet spot. Throw a waldo buffer in there you could do it all yourself. Those high treble output dimarzes put you in the zone and waldo buffer keeps it true and sweet. If you can get a jerry tone out of a stratocaster which the whole face is plastic holding your electronics ,a sinch to mod, and a bolt on neck. Just a terrible guitar in my personal opinion.
The picture I posted was a 24 fretter. It's my new quest with 251/2 scale but that pic the guitar retails for 120 made by Dean. Also as I said check out that SGJ 2014 Gibson here just gorgeous and 24

#138061  by seniorpesca

here are the specs on it

it also has a piezzo pickup so alot of fun getting that 94-95 tone...so it already has 2 imputs

Body - carved solid mahogany with carved solid mahogany top
Fingerboard - rosewood
Neck - mahogany
Scale - 24 ¾
Electronics - 2 X Godin humbuckers plus and LR Baggs bridge transducers and custom PreAmp
2 outputs
Volume, tone, blend
Natural High Gloss Finish
 #138071  by TI4-1009

Just an "eyes wide open"- many of the Asian guitars that say "mahogany" are made of wood from an Asian tree related to mahogany, but aren't really African or Honduran (middle/south America) mahogany.
 #138072  by Jon S.

seniorpesca wrote:wonder if i should get this guitar jerryfied

Don't. A Godin like yours is not the right candidate and too fine in its own right. I speak from experience.

#138084  by Jon S.

The LGXs (mine is an LGX-SA) neither look nor are built anything like any guitar Jerry played. They sound great "as is." That's it. There's no further "secret meaning." :smile:
 #138086  by TI4-1009

"Well now GodfreyDaniels, ye don't want ta be a Jerryificatin' just any ol' geetar that be a comin' on down the Pike, ya know!

Harrumph."
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #138092  by Jon S.

My, what an impressive response.

To the questioner, it's a free world. You want to Jerry-ify your Gretsch Country Gentleman? Your Rick 360? Your Danelectro '67 Heaven? By all means. Just go into it eyes open.

Some guitars just don't match up well with Jerry's music and tone. That's usually because they were designed for something quite different. Rather than force a square peg into a round hole, why not let the square peg fit where it belongs and put your energy towards copping a round peg of your own?

"Playing "Dead" is a huge part of my life, true, but my guitar playing and musical tastes are far, far broader.

I use my Godin LGX-SA for Everclear, Green Day, U2, Goo Goo Dolls, Matisyahu, Cure, Midnight Oil, I could go on and on. It excels in so many places both electrically through its Duncan mag PUPs and acoustically through its LR Baags PUP and preamp.

For Dead? No, doesn't work for that. And I wouldn't want (or advise someone else) to beat one into submission to force it.

You asked for input. This is mine. Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on. :smile: