#137906  by gdrfk1990

I know this has come up before but are the Phreds worth the cash I am thinking of the liger ? I know they are made in China and I would have to spend $200 to upgrade to super II's but I am still debating it ??
 #137913  by czyfingers

I have one...I think it's worth it. Mine's been serving me well for 2 yrs. I just put a super 2 in the middle, since that's where 95% of my playing happens, added a buffer and OBEL and it gets the job done nicely. The pickups that come in it aren't bad...good enough for the neck/bridge positions IMO. It's a cool guitar for the price tag.
 #137929  by Searing75

I bought the wolph last fall, and it was unplayable as far as the frets went. I had a local luthier do a fret dressing job, and it is much better. He also put a brass nut on. I also added a harmonica bridge, made a brass pickup ring for both, the single coil.set up, and the HHS. I also changed out the buffer to a CAE CB2 (had this laying around), changed all the pots to mil spec, and put Schiller locking tuners on it.

It sounds awesome! I feel that the neck is a bit thin. The luthier that worked on it said it was well built.

I recently bought a Phiga Bolt, and wished I never got the Phred in the first place, but I still use the wolph here and there. You get what you pay for. Save another grand, and try to get a Phiga. Just my opinion.
 #137976  by BobbyMcGee

I have a Phred Liger with a Super 2, Buffer and OBEL, and I also have an Alligator I built that has a brass nut, 57/62s PUPs and a new Alembic Blaster and I have to say the Alligator does a better job overall. Not to say the Liger isn’t worth the money but I find myself playing the strat more. You can probably pick up a used MIM strat and make the upgrades for less than the Liger with a Super 2. They both look cool but The strat is a little better at getting those banjo like bright tones without any effects. Just my 2 cents…good luck.
 #139616  by Bobbybriand

My Liger is unbelievable, The neck blows me away. The first you have to is jerryize it the rukind way. First thing I did was take it all apart. Finding a the little short cuts Phred took to be able to sell these so cheap. 1st the 2 liger tone pots are connected using the same capacitor. Yes the whole guitar comes with one of those green 223k caps. I immediately gave each tone pot a 50v ceramic cap .022uf and rewired them the proper way. Next I swapped out the buffer for the TPC-1. The liger uses a little black cap in place of waldo's big orange 250v cap just like tiger has. Picked up 3 creme dp104s super2s. 57bucks each on fleabay and loaded it with creme pup rings. Then I removed wire running down coil split switches and soldered the pickup ground in place. I relocated the naked gnd wire across backs of the pots and used that as gnd bus eventually hitting the out put jack, Night and day difference.
The neck is just gorgeous n thin n narrow. Very compfortable n easy to play.
I would highly recommend a phred Liger.
 #139632  by Kennay

With all the time and money it seems like folks are sinking into these I`d suggest you give Leo at Scarletfire Guitars and get the real thing done right.
 #139633  by cripeowner

I had a Wolph for about a month and put it through it's paces. It's a $500 guitar. It plays well and sounds fine. It's a $500 guitar and should remain that. Other than paying for a proper set up or fret dressing I would not put anymore into. You can't make a Honda civic go faster by putting a muffler and $1000 dollar wheels on it.
 #139640  by Bobbybriand

I believe everyone who bought a Liger bought it for the neck and body anyway. I spent 175 on 3 dimarz buckers,TPC-1 75 bucks and it fits in cavity up by the battery wires. With the mentioned parts I'm still way under a thousand. Maybe when I order a brass nut,brass bridge and saddles. Also brass pup retainer which would push me over 1000 bucks. You could save money by just putting in a middle dimarz dp104 and tap it, Lots of peeps done that.
Some of us don't have 3500to7000 bucks to grab a Moriaty or Scaelet Fire Guitars.
 #139644  by rugger

cripeowner wrote:I had a Wolph for about a month and put it through it's paces. It's a $500 guitar. It plays well and sounds fine. It's a $500 guitar and should remain that. Other than paying for a proper set up or fret dressing I would not put anymore into. You can't make a Honda civic go faster by putting a muffler and $1000 dollar wheels on it.
I'm in this camp ^^^.

Been down that road of upgrading a "mediocre" guitar, I wouldn't do it again. I would save up and get what you really want.

john in san diego
 #139645  by cripeowner

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing these what so ever. They are well built the delivery was as promised and the pick ups I thought were pretty good.
I just see no reason to try and re-invent the wheel. Take it for what it is, set it up properly and go to town. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these that they need another $500 worth of work.
 #139650  by Bobbybriand

Around 500 more or you could just replace the mid pup and put 50v or a 100v ceramic cap on the tone knob. Warmoth wouldn't even sell me an unfinished nails mod as they call it which is on their GD homepage. All I really wanted was an unfinished no laminents or stain dog ear'd body and irwin style head n neck.
 #140046  by jimmyschwinn

I ordered a Liger at the begining of February, it's supposed to arrive soon, according to Phred's website. I'll post up a pic and review after I get it.
 #140067  by barefootdave

I have a friend with a Wolph, and after a setup and changing middle pickup to Super 2 he is very satisfied. His other guitar is a Gibson Custom Shop, so he knows what a decent guitar feels like. He acknowledges that the guitar is probably not a "keeper" but gives him most of what he wants at price that fits his current budget.

The tone through his SMS/MC50/E120 is very good.
 #140075  by tapestry

I have a Phred Liger 2.0 that I use as my backup guitar. I added brass plates and rewired the electronics and added a dimarzio super II to the middle.

The guitar plays well and I think that if you only have $500 to spend and want the tiger shape, you won't be disappointed. I have played live gigs with it and it plays really great. I wish the body and neck were bigger, but it plays fast and clean.

If you can save up for a custom guitar, that will always be a better guitar. But, i would recommend the Phreds to anyone that wants to get the shape and a decent guitar while not spending a bunch of money.
 #140851  by Bobbybriand

GK3 under tiger plate. midi jack drilled through end soon as I get my foot controller. That'll gimmee some inspiration to finish. For now using Gibson TOM Nickel saddles. Next will be brass nut and a TOM saddle holder with brass saddles. Anyone know where to find a deal on one or who sells em? For some icing I'll add the brass H-H-H retainer. Dont think I'll have enough room Jerry style string slot plate. Bournes pots all to spec,tpc-1,50v ceramic caps. 3 dimarzio dp104's wired in 3p3t to play with parallel mode.(sounds great at bridge).
I honestly have never played an easier ultra sensitive neck with an amazingly low string profile. I had some slight fret buzz on my low E and A strings first couple frets. Still sounded great for those low grunting Jer slide intros. After about a week or two the frets have settled and did a full intonation. Love the action. I have big hands and I can now do more multi string /finger holds than ever. So I guess this guitar would be a dream for peeps that struggle with smaller hands. Like the necks on the Alvarez-Yaihri's.
I also copper lined the cavities and used a little Gary Brawer trick by layering and squeezing foam ear plugs to fill any open air and insulate the pup cavity.