#137739  by TeeJay

I got my first Mcintosh yesterday. Hooked it up and sounded great with Trio preamp into a Eminence Commonwealth. Shut it down to change over to the 4ohm tap for a 212 K120 cab and upon power up loud hum and blown fuse. New fuse, tried again, same hum and blown fuse. Thought it might be the 4ohm tap so I hooked it back up to the 8ohm 112 cab same. Took it into the Kansas City Mac tech and he said it sounds like a transformer and I am screwed. It will take a week or so before the tech does a diagonstic on it so I am remaining optimistic. But I think I killed my Mcintosh.
 #137742  by Jon S.

Sending positive vibes your way. Hope it works out for the best for you.
 #137743  by czyfingers

Sorry to hear this bad news. I doubt you killed it, assuming you connected everything right. They're hard to kill due to all the protective measures they have built in. Sounds like a stroke of bad luck and something that was going to go on its own. Where did you get it from? I have an MC50 and an MC2120 and the only thing I've ever done to either is adjust the bias on the 2120 because one channel was running too hot. I've been thrashing on both of them for years with out a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.
 #137745  by Searing75

This is odd because I just scored a mc50 on eBay for $260, fully functional, but in poor cosmetic condition (could care less), and I was just coming on here to post my excitement. Anyways, even if it is the transformer, can that not be replaced? It will work out man. It always does! Keep us posted.

Chris
 #137746  by TeeJay

Thanks guys for the well wishes. I will let you know what happens. The tech said the trannies on the old stuff before 76? you cant get replacements for. He was just preparing me for the worst but it could be just a cap or something easy.
 #137826  by zambiland

Searing75 wrote:This is odd because I just scored a mc50 on eBay for $260, fully functional, but in poor cosmetic condition (could care less), and I was just coming on here to post my excitement. Anyways, even if it is the transformer, can that not be replaced? It will work out man. It always does! Keep us posted.

Chris
Those transformers are not replaceable. I suppose you might be able to find a place to rewind it, but it would cost more than it would to get another amp.

That said, they rarely blow. Mac transformers are way overbuilt and these amps can take insane abuse.
 #138227  by TeeJay

Tech called this evening and said it was shorting transistors and replacing some caps that were out of spec. Should be up and running within a week.
 #138234  by Searing75

Yeah. I replaced all of the caps in mine, and the transistors, and diodes. I may also change the resistors, but they are all within spec. It sounds wonderful! Replacing the big cans seemed to improve the tone most.
 #138239  by TeeJay

Thanks Chris. I will ask the tech about the big cans. Did you replace the RCA or speaker jacks with 1/4"? The hifi guys at the shop turned and looked at me like I was an ahole when I asked about changing the jacks. They already accused me of killing a mac by plugging a guitar into it. :P
 #138241  by Searing75

I did. For the input and output. I did the big caps and the transistors at the same time, so I can't point my finger to what really improved the tone and tightness. Get yourself a soldering iron, and start to teach yourself this stuff. You will be so happy that you did!

Keep us posted on the amp.

Chris