#137538  by drdead

Was listening to Right Off on A Tribute to Jack Johnson , Miles Davis & John McLaughlin and listening to McLaughlin and kept reminding me of Weir with his rhythm style, I could imagine Weir playing rhythm on that, I know the Ibanez 2680 was modeled after Mclaughlins double neck but hadn't heard if Weir was otherwise a big McLaughlin fan or not, also that tone he has on that would be a killer Weir type tone .
 #137540  by drdead

this was from a review
"Miles had told McLaughlin to play like he didn't know how to play guitar, and at this he fails miserably. He does succeed, though, in sounding unlike himself in many ways, sticking mostly to chordal comping and avoiding the dazzling signature metronomic runs he'd make so famous with Mahavishnu. His chords, though, aren't exactly Pete Townshend power chords, but rather a virtual guitarist's workbook of alternate voicings and substitutions" Sounds like Weir.
 #137542  by drewfx

mkaufman wrote:Slightly off topic, however, Bitches Brew always reminded me of the Dead.

mk
I remember hearing an interview with Phil saying something like he wanted the Dead to be like the Miles Davis Quintet.
 #137546  by tcsned

I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.
 #137547  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.
Phil said something like it was hard to play their " little music " after hearing Miles ..... I think :D
 #137585  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
tcsned wrote:I seem to remember something about the Dead playing the night after Miles when he was recording the Live at the Fillmore at least Jerry and Phil were backstage or something and how blown away they were by what Miles was doing and thinking that that's what they were shooting for.
Phil said something like it was hard to play their " little music " after hearing Miles ..... I think :D
Miles OPENED for the Dead, 4/10/70. It wouldn't get any more intimidating if they were having to follow Hendrix!

oh and...

Englishtown, NJ 9/3/77 (didn't play it in concert, belonged to one of the Marshall Tucker guys)
 #137586  by TI4-1009

That isn't the infamous "camel toe" photo, is it? :shock: