name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

#13465  by BigJilm

I love the Newport and Promowest

#13467  by LazyLightnin

whats the Newport and Promowest?

ya the scene magazine, McCarthy's should have 2 ad's in it every issue. Lakewood's the Liberal capitol of northeast ohio, theres too many musicians to ever hear and too many bad poets youll never wanna see again. i'm right here in "downtown" Lakewood, a stones throw from the good coffee shops and best bars. In the summer its great, you can meet new people everyday on the street. We gotta Jam room here too, so if your ever in town lemme know.

#13469  by groovemongrel

LazyLightnin wrote:whats the Newport and Promowest?

ya the scene magazine, McCarthy's should have 2 ad's in it every issue. Lakewood's the Liberal capitol of northeast ohio, theres too many musicians to ever hear and too many bad poets youll never wanna see again. i'm right here in "downtown" Lakewood, a stones throw from the good coffee shops and best bars. In the summer its great, you can meet new people everyday on the street. We gotta Jam room here too, so if your ever in town lemme know.
I will do that. I work in Montrose and maybe some Tuesday, I'll pack my amp and Strat and shoot up 77 to Lakewood to get into some jams.

#13475  by Guyute24

another ohioan here. in Pataskala, just east of columbus, although i work in Westerville. Been playing for about 9 years, have a band called Backwoods Drifter. I play an dark metallic blue American Strat through a 65 Twin Reverb reissue, i also use a q-tron, big muff pi, boss tu-2 tuner, ts - 9. and sometimes i used a semi-hollow body Ibanez Artcore series, cherry red. lots of heads in ohio... peace, michael

#13480  by LazyLightnin

prolly wont need the amp, you''l have your choice of a Vox-ac30 and a, mmmmmm hmmmmmmmm i cant remember, it begins with an "s". when i first joined this site there was only 1 other person from ohio, back then i was talkin to someone from western p.a. on here about how cool it was that we lived remotely near each other lol. we need to have an all ohio all star Dead jam sometime. maybe at Jerryfest this year, or summer solstice fest.

#13487  by kruston

bodiddley wrote:Here, here from the great state of Ohio!
O - H
 #13495  by causebass

any of you DH's in eastern Ohio....a nice dose of Grateful tunes tonight (march 3rd) in Pittsburgh..
www.thecausejams.com well worth the drive...let me know you made the trip from the buckeye state and I'll buy your first beer

david

#13590  by groovemongrel

LazyLightnin wrote:prolly wont need the amp, you''l have your choice of a Vox-ac30 and a, mmmmmm hmmmmmmmm i cant remember, it begins with an "s". when i first joined this site there was only 1 other person from ohio, back then i was talkin to someone from western p.a. on here about how cool it was that we lived remotely near each other lol. we need to have an all ohio all star Dead jam sometime. maybe at Jerryfest this year, or summer solstice fest.
I haven't seen Jerryfest but I did attend the Gratefulfest two years ago.

#13626  by Guyute24

my band will be playing at the Cabin Fever Fest at Legend Valley if any of ya will be there. make sure to stop by and say high.......

#13629  by shakedown_04092

Hey, our keyboarist is also from Ohio. Just thought I'd share that. And he rocks, so the water over there in the valley must be good. Hey Ohio, keep churning out good keyboardists....the world needs more of them!

#13646  by groovemongrel

shakedown_04092 wrote:Hey, our keyboarist is also from Ohio. Just thought I'd share that. And he rocks, so the water over there in the valley must be good. Hey Ohio, keep churning out good keyboardists....the world needs more of them!
I wish I could get one for my band right now.

#13678  by LazyLightnin

me too, we need keys badly.....jam night is tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13684  by groovemongrel

LazyLightnin wrote:me too, we need keys badly.....jam night is tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I missed it buddy. I had band practice and couldn't miss it. Have a good time?

#14180  by KaCey0211

Howdy:

I'm a middle-aged guy who has been playing the guitar since he was kid -- we're talking about when the Beatles were still new -- pretty off-and-on, which probably explains why I really should be better than I am now. And I'm a big fan of the good old Grateful Dead.

I never really listened to a lot of rock 'n' roll, even as a kid (beyond the Beatles, Stones and few other "classic rock" acts, usually on an album-by-album basis), and the Grateful Dead are really the only rock 'n' roll band I still listen to today. It's probably because I seem to have the same tastes in music as Garcia and Weir, which lean toward American folk and "roots" kind of music. And even -- *gasp* -- country-western (Long Live Merle Haggard).I was mostly into fingerpicking until just the last five years or so. In fact I probably heard most of the Dead's cover songs in the original before I heard their version. "Samson and Delilah," or BIODTL, for instance.

One of the things I appreciate about the band is the way they give a nod to the old folk tradition of doing your own distinct version of a song that everyone knows. Dead tunes like "Candyman" or "Diamond Dupree" or "Sugaree" are reworkings of old folk songs with completely new melodies and lyrics, but that tell essentially the same story as their predecessors. This is just like the country blues artists of old, all of whom had a version of "Spoonful," for example. Each version very different from the other, but unmistakably the same song, with the same general refrain and title (Of course, Mississippi John Hurt called his "Coffee Blues" and sang about having to have his "lovin' spoonful," which gave the band its name).

My favorite period for the Dead is between my first show, at the Palladium in '71, and my last, in '76, I think, when they shared the bill with the Who. Damn that's a long time ago. But they really were magical back then. And although they still managed to put on great shows in the years after that (I have heard the tapes), I don't think I would have wanted to be in the audience toward the end, with Garcia practically catatonic from drugs. And to tell the truth, I never cared for Brent or Vince. Don't get me wrong: they were fine musicians; their sound just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the band, for me anyway, the way that Pigpen, or Constanten and Godchaux did.

That's a pretty long introduction, so I'll leave it at that. Again, hello all.

#15085  by Cardinal4

Hello, I just joined today. Im from Saint Louis, and I found the site a few years ago when I was trying to find a tab for "Let it Grow". Cool site, I have learned how to play most of the songs the Dead played, now I just wish I had someone to play them with! Anyone in the STL area feels like getting together and playing, holler. The only I guy have jammed with since I have been here is a die hard Death Metal head. Kind of hard to play "Sugaree" with someone whose hero is Dimebag! Anyway, Im looking forward to hanging out of this forum..