Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#134206  by JamGuy
 Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Where are the ground wires in this diagram? I'd like to put one of these together but it seems like there would need to be some ground wires but I'm not sure where… thanks!
 #134210  by waldo041
 Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm
The sleeve of each jack is assumed to be screwed down against a metal enclosure essentially grounding each one to one another. Although it will do no harm to just wire each sleeve lug together in a daisy chain fashion.

#134211  by JamGuy
 Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:20 pm
Ok, that makes sense, thanks. I've been thinking of hand painting it and calling it the "Box of Rain" ( I do live in Oregon after all). I'd like to use a stomp box button instead of a toggle to switch between straight to the amp or through the effects loop. I just need to track down an on/on button if there is such a thing… I'll check out the pedal parts sites.

BTW, I'm looking forward to installing the preamp I just ordered from you… :-) cheers, JG

Would this work? You'll have to pardon my ignorance, I'm still in the learning stages of how electronics in general work, though I am handy with soldering so long as I have a VERY clear plan to follow and know what parts I need. ... ucts_id=28
 #134214  by waldo041
 Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 pm
This box is not an OBEL box like what Jerry devised for his guitars. This box is used for rerouting the signal for use with an OBEL equipped guitar OR a Standard NON-OBEL guitar.

#134215  by JamGuy
 Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:49 pm
I think I've got it… it's the 3rd toggle on the guitar (not the coil splitting toggles) that sends the signal through the effects loop or straight to the amp.
 #135954  by gpilcher2001
 Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm
You could use a 3pdt stomp switch like the ones they use in true bypass pedals....
 #136057  by JamGuy
 Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 pm
I finally got the stereo cable this week and was able to take the guitar for a full-test drive… the box and guitar wiring all worked on the first go, I was pretty stoked! I've just been messing with my pedals to dial in EQ and levels so switching between FX/no FX is smooth. It is pretty cool to be able to have the envelope filter set and always get the same effect at any volume.

Thanks again to those of you who chimed in and helped answer my questions :-)
Cheers, JamGuy
 #136063  by TI4-1009
 Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:14 pm
JamGuy wrote:It is pretty cool to be able to have the envelope filter set and always get the same effect at any volume.

That's what Jerry said!