Chat about Equipment Info
 #13507  by BlobWeird

So Im buying some new pickups for my guitar right now. My guitar is setup up hum single hum. So I decided to switch out the old hums and put super 2's and im switchin out the old single for an alnico V. Now the question I have is that I want to get all new pots and everything. really just do the whole thing over. Now can I go straight to 500k pots without messin anything up? Because id be willin to bet mine are only 250k. So does it really matter? Like do the pickups have to matchup with the pots?

#13512  by BigJilm

i dont kno... im not rele a technical guitar expert or nething, but it always seems that when i try to make improvements by myself it ends up being more trouble than its worth, so now i just say, dont fix it if it aint broke. but if u r going to do sumthing, u should probly b 100% positive of wut ur gonna do so that u dont fuck nething up.

#13514  by BlobWeird

Exactly man I dont just wanna do it and see what happens lol. The last time I did that it worked out but this is stuff I dont know much about when it comes to pots and such.

#13515  by BigJilm

I would go to a guitar center or a sam ash or sumthing, and consult an "expert"

#13517  by phreaker

BigJilm wrote:i dont kno... im not rele a technical guitar expert or nething, but it always seems that when i try to make improvements by myself it ends up being more trouble than its worth, so now i just say, dont fix it if it aint broke. but if u r going to do sumthing, u should probly b 100% positive of wut ur gonna do so that u dont fuck nething up.
i have too much expirience with trying to fix things and having them end up even worse.

#13518  by BlobWeird

Well I figured there is some rather intelligable people in here when it comes to this stuff. Like TS or SS or Bill or someone here thats in a band maybe? You guys gotta know!?!

#13519  by Billbbill

Sorry Blob, I'd gladly help but when it come to this stuff I'm a techidiot. Never modified one piece of gear, and wouldn't know how if I wanted to. I'd probably be leaning on you!
:lol:

#13520  by myoung6923

for the super 2's use 500k and for the single coil use 250k. Also use a .022uF cap on both pots. I'm assuming that you are going to gang the super 2's on the same pot? How many tone pots do you have? If it's only one I'd go with a 500k.

It's not going to realy matter a whole lot which one you use - 250 or 500.

#13545  by China Cat

i'm buildin one right now, so my knowledge is pretty good on this. for a single coil, you want a 250 since it will make the already bright tone a little warmer, and for humbuckers you want 500 because it will make the already warm tone a little brighter

#13546  by BlobWeird

Thanks guys. Really helped my decision. So whats the difference between push/pull, shaft, solid, split shaft, solid shaft, and control pot?

#13595  by Django

Push/Pull shaft is a device right on the control pot (the housed control the shaft goes into inside your guitar) to control some types of mods. I have a humbucker guitar that I use one on to put the coils in series instead of the usual parallel arrangement, you should not need that for your mod. The shaft of course is the 'pole' the volume or tone knob fits on, most times they are split down the center which compresses and holds on the knob. Solid shaft would not be split.