#134704  by BobbyMcGee

Saw this new strat and wanted to know from the experts if it sounds like it will work like a stratoblaster? Seems like it might make a pretty good Alligator with almost no mods. Any thoughts? I am not an expert by any means so hence the question to you guys.

http://www.fender.com/series/deluxe/del ... -sunburst/

Fender’s Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster tears the place down with extra-scorching Strat sound and style. Its three Texas Special™ single-coil pickups are wired for supercharged tonal versatility, with a special V6 rotary switch (disguised as the middle tone knob) that delivers six distinct onboard-preamp tone settings from wiry single-coil to searing lead. The S-1 switch built into the volume knob bypasses the preamp completely for pure Strat tone.

Other features include a tinted maple neck with "modern C" profile and large '70s-style headstock, 9.5"-radius maple or rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets, five-way pickup switch, four-ply aged white pearloid pickguard, three aged white control knobs (master volume/S-1, V6, master tone), and vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge.

Bridge Pickup: Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat
Middle Pickup: Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat
Neck Pickup: Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat
Controls: Master Volume, Master 6-Position V6 Rotary Tone Switch, Master Tone
Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
Pickup Configuration: SSS
Special Electronics: The 6-position V6 rotary switch utilizes the onboard preamp to provide 6 distinct tone settings ranging from wiry single-coil to scorching lead. The S-1 Switch bypasses the preamp completely.
 #134730  by NorthboundRain

Most any strat will get you close to Jerry's Alligator tone but if you're buying with that in mind look for a guitar made of Swamp Ash instead of Alder and w/ a Maple neck and fingerboard. Also try and find one with a hardtail instead of a trem.

Once you've get that together you can look at the electronics. Add a Blaster and maybe some new pickups and you're set.
 #134738  by BobbyMcGee

Maybe I should have highlighted this but this strat has an on board pre-amp. I guess that's why 100 people looked and all passed
It by. It has that pre-amp that was why I asked if it would act like a stratoblaster stock. Sorry for the confusion!
 #134740  by hippieguy1954

I would go play it and this one too: http://www.fender.com/series/american-s ... -sunburst/

I have the American Special with the tremolo blocked and an Alembic Stratoblaster installed. That's all it takes to get the tone of that era, as far as the guitar goes. It comes with Texas special pickups which are very good, but I changed them out to David Allen Voodoo '69's.

As far as the preamp in the Strat you are looking at being comparable to a blaster, you would have to check out the circuit and components involved.
 #134763  by BobbyMcGee

I guess thats my question. Does anyone know what the wiring is like on this and how close is it to a stratoblaster since it does come with a built in pre-amp and a S-1 button that disengages the pre-amp.
 #134768  by Mr.Burns

My guess is there are just enough differences so Fender can't get sued by Alembic? Even if that were the case, I would rather have the MIA Strat and put my own blaster in. But if you were looking to save $, just get a used MIM strat and put the blaster in yourself. I would bet you could do that for less than $900. Even with new pickups.