#134456  by TI4-1009

I can't remember if we've talked about this before? Normally you use 250 pots for single coils and 500s for humbuckers. So if you use a 500 on a bucker, when you split it is it "mismatched" with the single coil it's seeing?
 #134457  by hippieguy1954

As far as having different values for humbucker and split (single), that's the idea behind the dual gang pots, as illustrated in the wiring diagrams on Waldos site.

There is good info here too: forum/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=10582
 #134459  by TI4-1009

On the dual pots the single coil (like the neck SDS in Tiger) goes to the 250 pot and the bridge humbucker goes to the 500. The split middle goes to a separate 500- whichever way you have the coil tap switch flipped.
 #134461  by mgbills

T...
I think you're question is "what is the effect of using a 500K pot on a single-coil (or in this case a humbucker split) pickup?" Since the pot effects the tone, when you raise the overall resistance of the pot, the tone gets a little brighter. Craftier folks than me can likley quantify the change, but that's how I understand the situation.
 #134462  by hippieguy1954

TI4-1009 wrote:On the dual pots the single coil (like the neck SDS in Tiger) goes to the 250 pot and the bridge humbucker goes to the 500. The split middle goes to a separate 500- whichever way you have the coil tap switch flipped.
Ok TI4-1009, I see what you mean. I thought you were referring to just that...the SDS1 using the 250 pot and why doesn't the super II's use a 250 pot when split.
mgbills hit the nail on the head.

Rosebud has only 500k pots, so it seems to me the SDS1 probably sounds better with the 250. I'll find out sometime during the winter because I'm gonna Tigerize a Carvin I have and use a SDS1 in the neck.

As far as why Tiger has the 250 pot specifically for the SDS1, I'm not sure. Maybe a certain persons personal preference? :shock:
 #134464  by mgbills

And to further expound the 250 for single SDS-1 in Tiger is fine. That would be what would be traditionally spec'd for a single coil. If you used a dual-gang 250 however, the humbucker would lose some treble frequencey. So having the split coil with extra high frequencies, was a better trade off for clean-loving Jerry than having having a squashed humbucker.

Err on the side of super-clean. I used a 1M Ohm pot in a Tigerized Strat in a mastertone tiger/strat. That is a crispy bugger.