#134293  by Counterstriker

my friend who works for a hammond repair company gave e some 12ax7 from an old hammond a100 (very close to a b3) I swapped it out for a groove tube that was in my Hughes and Kettner bluesmaster because i just didnt like how early it broke up. The result was great, it sounds so nice and clean but it does clip since theres a booster in the H&K if i'm correct? but I'm looking for some backup tubes, clean is what im going for! And how much do tubes effect the tone? for instance would i use a different tube if i want a little more mid? thanks!
 #134335  by Marlow

Hammond didn't actually make their own tubes. They are probably rebranded GE or RCA. Some are also Mullards. I think tubes make a huge difference in tone, though people disagree. A GE 12AX7 is clean and level to my ear, an RCA has a little more sparkle and grain, and a Mullard has more warmth. For Jerry tones I like RCA long blackplates for preamp tubes and clear RCA 6v6 power tubes. With Vox-type amps I use a Phillips short-plate and Polam EL84s. If you want a middy hump, Amperex Bugle Boys are great. Pricey though.