rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #133474  by TI4-1009
 Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly. I saw him with the first one at one of the first shows with it. It was ugly then.
 #133475  by zambiland
 Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:57 pm
TI4-1009 wrote:Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly. I saw him with the first one at one of the first shows with it. It was ugly then.
This is a new one, different from the Jupiter Eye of Horus. I'm not as concerned about the looks as I am with the sound. The Jupiter didn't really do it for me. I hope this one is better.
 #133502  by Sparechaynge
 Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 am
I like Ritters. The Eye of Horus was cool, didn't sound too bad.

Jens said there would be a new one, didn't expect it to be so soon.
 #133511  by tcsned
 Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 pm
That one looks cool, not as radical as the first one. I liked the look of the first one, it's over the top for sure but has nice lines. Phil seems to dig it.
 #133583  by zambiland
 Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:The Moduluses are definitely clearer, tighter, punchier and more consistent than the old Ritter was. Maybe he wanted a warmer bass for small rooms?
Could be. I keep trying to play my Q6 TBX at gigs but every time it always becomes clear that the Starfire just owns it. No comparison. I want to get the good Modulus sound, and it does sound pretty good, but it's just silly how much better the Starfire sounds. It even makes the band play much better.

Someday I'll have to try a Ritter.
 #133627  by moonliner
 Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 pm
Scott Law was going on and on about how great your Starfire sounded.
I hope mine gets close when it's completed!
 #133629  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:05 pm
Whoah, you have a TBX!!??

I think there's something special about the short-scale semi-hollowbody, my Starfire is a shadow of yours and still gets rave reviews. The notes just hit and duck right out of the way.
 #133632  by zambiland
 Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Whoah, you have a TBX!!??
Yeah, I got it last January. It's pretty good, not the perfect Modulus, but very nice. Made in 1991, so no truss rod. The bridge is a bit of a PITA (Kahler) and I'm not totally crazy about the pickup placement (a bit too close to the bridge), but it does have that insane TBX low end and the other Modulus goodness. I ordered some SGD pickups for it back when I got it, but David has been taking forever, I'm doubting that I'll get them at all at this point. The EMGs are OK, but I'm looking forward to a smoother, more hifi tone. I've also got an ACG preamp waiting to go in when the pickups go in.
 #133656  by Rusty the Scoob
 Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 am
Which EMGs does it have? I'm finding a huge difference between the various types of magnets they offer. The traditional Ceramic they've used for years are the classic snarling, nasally angry tone, the Ceramic/Steel are a lot smoother and the Alnico sound almost completely vintage. They'll make you almost anything you want if you call them up, as long as it fits in one of their standard shapes.
 #133807  by Bassman
 Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:56 pm
zambiland wrote:Could be. I keep trying to play my Q6 TBX at gigs but every time it always becomes clear that the Starfire just owns it. No comparison. I want to get the good Modulus sound, and it does sound pretty good, but it's just silly how much better the Starfire sounds. It even makes the band play much better.
Someday I'll have to try a Ritter.
Hey Edwin,
its Craig, I feel you on the Modulus man. I have been trying for the past couple of years to "love" the Modulus. Its a great bass indeed, has an awesome feel and that unique Modulus sound. I have to say I am digging the Big Brown and Alembic eras much more these days.
 #133832  by zambiland
 Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:48 am
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Which EMGs does it have? I'm finding a huge difference between the various types of magnets they offer. The traditional Ceramic they've used for years are the classic snarling, nasally angry tone, the Ceramic/Steel are a lot smoother and the Alnico sound almost completely vintage. They'll make you almost anything you want if you call them up, as long as it fits in one of their standard shapes.

It's currently the P and J 45s that came with it. I tried DCs in there as well, which did quite do it. I have SGDs on order but it's taking an inordinately long time. I feel like I've already spent the money on pickups I'm going to spend on this bass. Unless Q-tuners become available.
 #133841  by zambiland
 Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:37 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Q-tuners are no longer available? Dang, I wanted to try those in something someday.
Apparently a new version is imminent. Or at least it has been for quite a while.