#133238  by tatittle

Wwweeelll,
I just finished installing an SD SSL-7 (the one with giant 1/4" polepieces) in middle position Strat, and upon first test I am VERY impressed. I am playing through a SF Princeton and a Tweed Princeton (1957) with JBL's and am liking what I hear, granted I have only played about 5 mins so far. I bought the SSL-7 off ebay for a song -- okay it cost more than I get at this point for songs I write :)

It seems to have a nice beefy clean tone with plenty of bottom and good sustain. I have it in a partscaster I loaded with an ABM brass trem bridge, Allparts neck, brass nut, along with an SSL-2 (beautiful vintage p'up---sounds better than the SSL-1 to me even though they claim the flat poles are only difference), and an SDS-1 in the bridge. The #2 quacker position is outta phase or something so I will open it back up and switch around the SDS-1 leads (but I originally had it the reverse way having contemplated the likely polarity and it didnt seem to hum-cancel, didnt string up though).

The 2 and 4 positions are predictably not as ping-pongy as vintage combos, but the individual positions are all great, especially the SSL-7 in the middle. Its funny how components marketed to heavy on attitude/light on melody genres can work so well with a good clean rig. I am not terribly impressed with the SDS-1 in the middle slot (to grainy for my rigs), so I am happy to have found this is working well so far.

Hopefully I will get around to wiring up a Super 2 equipped p/g soon, I have all the parts but keep putting it off. I imagine I will be even more pleased when I do finish it. I also have a Steve's Special and some other DiMarzio humbucker that sounded like it was similar to the Super 2 that are yet to be tested. If anyone needs SDS-1's I have a fistful...both new and vintage 1970's/early 80's.
 #133243  by tatittle

Indeed very nice to my ears; gets my thumbs up. Apparently the SDS-1 is the same polarity as the RWRP SSL-7 so no humcancel, not especially noisy though; the SSL-7 sits pretty low and is mostly under my shielding cage. The SSL-2 may not be the best match; 6.6 vs. like 14.0 for whatever thats worth. Excellent articulate p'up thats not too thin IMO.
 #133416  by James-T

Ok

I'm giving it a shot for my Aria RS-750 project guitar. I've got a separate post on it but here's the scoop.

It's got a series one style Alembic electronics package (copy - along with hardware and body shape!).

The thing sounds fantastic but there are only two pick-ups, bridge and neck, it's got a third pick-up that's only a dummy coil and not in play in that Jerry sweet spot in the middle. I haven't quite figured out when the dummy is actually activated, nor do I really understand what the heck it's doing but I think it's for hum canceling.

The only issue is that it's hard to get a real heavy sound out of this axe. The pick-ups are ultra hi-fi. I have to load on the heaviest Gilmore patch on my ultra just to get what would be a moderate od from any of my other guitars.

I'm going to lose one of the two tone knobs and put in a five way rotary switch. Pull out the dummy coil and see how this puppy works!

I was hoping that the epic Wolf post would shed some light on what electronics to put in this guitar but I don't think any consensus was made in that thread and your review here is so much more tangible, plus it's like you say, not a big investment. I was really leaning towards the SDS-1 but it may not even fit.

Thanks for the cool info! 8)

Peace,

James
Last edited by James-T on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #133420  by tatittle

Hey James, thanks for sharing your project. Yes my understanding is the dummy coil is designed to reduce noise without affecting the tone of the single coil too dramatically. I have heard Alembic was an early experimenter with these. A dummy coil does not have a magnet, only the winding if I remember accurately. I just pulled the magnet off of a cheap Mexican sc and wired it into a Strat last year but it didnt seem to help that much. In order to work well I think they have to be specifically engineered for the pick-ups they are countering.

I am about to change the SSL-2, probably for an SSL-5 I have sitting around somewhere in the bridge and maybe a RW/RP SDS-1 in the neck. Please keep us posted on how things work out.

You may want to check out the halved Super 2 that a member here developed for single slot positions. They take quite a bit of work to fabricate, but I think he sells ones he was modified.
 #133692  by tatittle

switched to a SSL-5 in bridge and a SDS1 RWRP in neck seems better balance, 2/4 positions so far, yet to try bigger amps
 #134613  by James-T

Hey now,

Got my Aria pro back with the SSL-7 replacing the dummy coli providing a centre position PU.

Really sweet PU, lacking a touch on the high end, but the Aria low impedance PU's have lots of that so I'm calling this an awesome match. I was concerned that loosing that dummy coil would effect the existing two PU's. Not the case at all. They sound amazing and my luthier/tech thought there must have been a buffer in the guitar which is not the case,

Given the existing PU's are about 4.3K (neck) output and the SSL-7 is something like 13K we were worried the volumes would be miss-matched and swapped out the second tone pot for a dedicated volume pot. Totally not necessary but still a nice feature. The middle and neck PU's are perfectly balanced.

This turned out to be a really nice mod, and the SSL-7 takes effects, particularly dirt really well, while the other two pick-ps have a high-fi clarity to them. Each pick-up has a great Jerry tone to them, unique but unmistakably Jerry like! Reminiscent of the Wolf circa early 78. :smile:

Peace,

James