#132891  by jalevinemd

Is the Y cable for an OBEL just a standard Tip-Ring cable or is there something else that I need?
 #132892  by tcsned

It's a standard TRS, there's a few guys out there that make a handy junction box that makes cable management and switching to a non OBEL guitar and you don't need the Y cable just a TRS 1/4" on both ends.
 #132896  by jalevinemd

Thought there was something wrong with the wiring of the new Tiger I just got from Leo. Turns out I didn't have the cables hooked up even close to the way they needed to be. He talked me through everything on the phone. :-)

I'm a total OBEL noob! :lol:
 #132903  by tcsned

jester536 wrote:My take on it is that most of the guys here are electronic wizards. It took me a while to get it at first as well. You're not alone!
Some of these guys are, not me just a noob a few years ago :-)

I would recommend a junction box, I have the Hub-Bub from Godfrey Daniels I know Andrew Olson makes and I'm sure several others out there too. Especially helpful if you want to switch between your Tiger and another of those sweet guitars of yours.
 #132908  by jalevinemd

tcsned wrote:
jester536 wrote:My take on it is that most of the guys here are electronic wizards. It took me a while to get it at first as well. You're not alone!
Some of these guys are, not me just a noob a few years ago :-)

I would recommend a junction box, I have the Hub-Bub from Godfrey Daniels I know Andrew Olson makes and I'm sure several others out there too. Especially helpful if you want to switch between your Tiger and another of those sweet guitars of yours.
Thanks. I didn't realize what a pain in the ass it was to switch until I tried last night.
 #132910  by tcsned

Once it's up and running it's not that bad. It does give you some nice options that are unavailable with standard electronics. Master volume post effects is really nice, also the OBEL on/off lessens the need for the stomp box tap dance when you've gotta get to a mic and sing. Plus, if you've got Waldo's unity gain buffer, switching off the OBEL gives you a clean tone with a stronger signal if you really need a cutting clean sound.

Here's my pedal board w/the HubBub
 #132911  by tcsned

One cable goes straight to the amp, the TRS and the 1/4" line from the guitar plug into the box. If you use a non-OBEL guitar just plug it in and flip the switch.
 #132914  by Tennessee Jedi

This my Junction Box
Brian aka milobender built it and all my cables - they never fail and the quality is always excellent - I had him label it as I get confused by this stuff ...
My 1st box was just a loop and the cable going to the amp was always limiting my range and movements while jamming...
I like this set up as the cable that runs to the amp is on the junction box and not hanging from the guitar - I still have the 2 cables coming from my guitar but it gives me greater room to set up as I am not tethered to the amp. I like the pedal board to as far from the amp as I can get , too ....
Cables that are too short suck ; I have made that mistake a few times - $$$$$
:D
 #132917  by rugger

No disrespect to any of the above builders, I'm sure the quality is great. If you want, or like, the homemade look then they're perfect.

But if you want a nicer looking box go with AO. Not that it's anything fancy, it's just a sticker, but in my opinion, it's well done. He will set you up with a sweet cable as well.

http://www.aoguitars.com/pricing-5

john in san diego
 #132919  by ricepr

rugger wrote:No disrespect to any of the above builders, I'm sure the quality is great. If you want, or like, the homemade look then they're perfect.

But if you want a nicer looking box go with AO. Not that it's anything fancy, it's just a sticker, but in my opinion, it's well done. He will set you up with a sweet cable as well.

http://www.aoguitars.com/pricing-5

john in san diego
The link to the box is dead, does he still sell them?