#132499  by tommybo

just finished watching sunshine daydream (veneta Oregon) for like the 3rd time in a row. it blows my mind that jerry appears to be playing a stock sunburst fender strat - no effects loop, no blaster- but the most beautiful sounds just emenating from that strat. does anybody know anything about that strat? was it just a stock model? just a strat thru a twin? absolutely stunning guitar work. the dark star is just killer- lots of closeups- you see his fingers in that pyramid shape just peeling off note after note without ever changing his hand position- I've been in awe for over 40 years but this just blows me away-----so does anybody know anything about this strat?
 #132521  by zambiland

Just shows how good a vintage Strat with Alembicized Fender amps can sound.

It's a wonderful vid and aud. I went for the DVD but after hanging out with David Glasser this weekend and hearing how amazing the BluRay sounds in comparison (full 24/96 vs. Dolby Pro Logic), I'm upgrading. It means I have to get a BluRay player as well, but that's fine. I should have one by now anyway.
 #132570  by TI4-1009

forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=14356

I saw the movie on Jer's birthday, finally listened to the complete show CD today. It keeps getting better and better. That CD is freekin unbelieveable.

I'm starting to think that the whole thing was a hoax- didn't really happen. Too good to be true. Like the moon landings.

(just kidding...)

And it was all on a plain strat "loaner", between his "real" guitars. The legend lives on.
 #132695  by jester536

Remember when "Space" (ok...maybe we wrote "jam" on our tapes back then)...was a melodic, musical exploration that could happen any time... and not a mid second set electronic noodle fest? If you don't listen to Veneta. The PITB is SO out there and still so musical...well ...I just had to sit down and say something about it. DAMN! I feel better now.
 #132696  by zambiland

jester536 wrote:Remember when "Space" (ok...maybe we wrote "jam" on our tapes back then)...was a melodic, musical exploration that could happen any time... and not a mid second set electronic noodle fest?
Truth!
 #132698  by NSP

Yeah, I've watched mine a couple times already as well...love every second. I used to have a copy on VHS way back in the day that was horrible quality.

Speaking of space, '72 Dark Stars find true orbit and this version is no exception. I think there are two times during the jam where Bobby just stops playing all together and just looks around taking in the scene; or maybe thinking "gee, thanks for the kool-aid Mr. Kesey". That jam also makes me want to add a Color Sound Wah to my rig. Kind of bummed when Jer is definitely looking to veer into Morning Dew out of DS, but Bobby over rules with the El Paso....kicks ass all the same. Good ole' Grateful Dead.

As soon as one of you guys gets a time machine up and running give me a call, this show will be one of our first stops. And we'll bring lots of water :smile:
 #132730  by TI4-1009

zambiland wrote:
jester536 wrote:Remember when "Space" (ok...maybe we wrote "jam" on our tapes back then)...was a melodic, musical exploration that could happen any time... and not a mid second set electronic noodle fest?
Truth!
I remember a period in the 70's when the word was that the band was frustrated with being stuck in "the format" and was thinking about trying to break out of it. Guess "the format" won.