#131357  by Deadhead85

So after numerous problems with my effects pedals, ive decided to go with rackmount gear. I know Bobby has used both the 400 and 405, which one is preferred? I currently have an FL305 flanger as well. What are some pros and cons with these units or rackmount gear in general? Are they more dependable and reliable? Can i still use a few pedals? Any and all input regarding the UE models and rack gear in general would be greatly appreciated!
 #131358  by strumminsix

Yes you can use both pedals and rack multi-effects.

I think both have their place depends on what you want.

IMO the best of the UE series was the 700 (Closing of Winterland Bobby)
 #131359  by Deadhead85

The 700 would the one im after, but nearly impossible to find, and go for a little more than i can afford. Im mainly playing with the late 70s tone. I achieve it well as it is now through pedals. Which do you think would be best between the 400 and 405? Do you have any experience with both?
 #131361  by strumminsix

Deadhead85 wrote:The 700 would the one im after, but nearly impossible to find, and go for a little more than i can afford. Im mainly playing with the late 70s tone. I achieve it well as it is now through pedals. Which do you think would be best between the 400 and 405? Do you have any experience with both?
Well, IMO buying less than what you want means buying twice. Just think about it...

I owned both a 400 then a 700. Would never own a 400 again and if I was a full-time musician would seek out another 700.

If I had to choose between them now and if I had a Flanger like you, I'd do the 405.

But I'm a Bobby player and considering how much of his tone he got from his guitars and pickup splitting I'd be sure to start there first :)
 #131362  by racecar

I have owned and used both the UE400 and UE405.

What I can say with 100% certainty is that both of these units are absolute crap except fro the Chorus which is pretty much all he really used on the UE400.

Some seem to believe that the UE400 overdrive version has the same circuitry as an 808 tubescreamer. Couldn't be further from the truth.

save your money. buy newer technology. Even an Eleven Rack would be a better investment then these two. I cannot comment on the 700, I have not owned one. I

Personally, I prefer pedals these days, nice and neat easily transportable pedalboard in a case.

if you are going rack mount, take a good look at what Rob Eaton is using. I would venture in that direction before considering any of these Ibanez effects units. Another great option is the Ax Fx II, well reviewed and a killer unit if you can afford it.