#131284  by Capt Rosebuddy

Anyone have a Irwin Tiger style guitar in the Philadelphia aria? If so, any interest in bringing it over and playing trough my rig? My current set up sounds good in some positions but, super glassy and not on the mark past the 5th fret. It's starting to drive me crazy. I'm wondering is it my guitar? Should I start saving for a power amp? Do I need to just live with what I've got? To date I've never had a Irwin style guitar run through the rig, and I'm super curious. pm me or whatever if your interested.
 #131287  by NSP

I'm not in your area...but tell us what your current rig is (all the components and signal path) and we may be able to provide some feedback.
 #131294  by jeager

I love the sounds Jerry got from Tiger but he also got some wonderful tones out of a pretty standard stratocaster (some of my favorites really). What have you got for an amp? I am convinced that a good Fender Twin (or similar) and the middle pup on a fender strat can get you in the ballpark enough. Throw in a JBL speaker and you are in the infield...

What are you using for a rig?

I found the jbl E120 to be a little too harsh for my rig, taste, guitar...even though that is the one nearly everybody says you gotta have... I think it needs to be driven real hard and perhaps needs a real Tiger style guitar and all the rest of the exact components. For me the K120 or D120 is the thing, I find it has that boingy bass and bell like high but is a bit more forgiving and maybe works better when you are not cranking a big power amp into it. I found a variety of solid state power amps to be harsh as well...though not the Mc 250 etc, I love the Macintosh amps but I am not convinced its the only way to get a Garcia style tone, especially for smaller venues ... Its all a matter of degrees anyway. Strat, Sarno pre amp, boogie power amp and jbl speaker get me close enough...
 #131308  by dleonard

Yo capt rosebuddy...all the info is here. However, go see Splintered Sunlight (no affiliation, just a huge fan) at the Blockley or Brownies or Stone Pony. The "Jerry" player doesn't go nuts trying to ape the tone, but sounds an awful lot like him with just a faded SG and a twin. Seeing that dude for the past 10 years has really made me realize that the tone (read $$$) side of things isn't really as big of deal.
 #131318  by Capt Rosebuddy

Thanks guys, the rig is solid: Joe Martin modded '71 Twin, JBL cab, GCX switching the whole effects deal. What I am curious to hear is what 12ishlbs of hippie sandwich and fender scale length (the two things my PRS are lacking), sounds like going through all of that goodness.
 #131319  by James-T

I think the majic letters are P R S

I've had a love hate relationship with my CU 22 for many years.

It's still my go to guitar for gigs but the short scale length and mostly mahogany body give it a different clean tone than a tiger set up. Just not as bell like, crisp and snappy.

Having a dual sound PU in middle position got me part way there, the Waldo buffer got me closer and my newest acquisition an Axe FX has got me to 90% and frankly close enough.

Like most say, the reality is its 90% technique, and 10% gear, if that. How you attack the strings, press down on the frets, approach the volume control, pull off notes, and so on.....I do feel your pain. Chasing that illusive tone can be an obsession.

Sounds like you have an enviable rig.
 #131327  by Tennessee Jedi

dleonard wrote:Yo capt rosebuddy...all the info is here. However, go see Splintered Sunlight (no affiliation, just a huge fan) at the Blockley or Brownies or Stone Pony. The "Jerry" player doesn't go nuts trying to ape the tone, but sounds an awful lot like him with just a faded SG and a twin. Seeing that dude for the past 10 years has really made me realize that the tone (read $$$) side of things isn't really as big of deal.
I love Butchy !
Dude does it his way !
Just a "a faded SG and a twin " and a hard Truckers cab .... Thats a good Jerry Rig IMHO
I remember when he had a Marshall Rig - amp and speakers - and sounded fantastic ! That was impressive !
Splintered ..... prob my fav Dead Band .... they " get It " good !
:-)
 #131332  by playingdead

I think Capt. Rosebuddy's PRS has the pickups and mods ...

I don't think it's the guitar so much, this is a quick clip of me playing a stock PRS Custom 24 into a Fender Vibrolux with no mods and stock Fender speakers ... plenty of sparkle.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/vic/tleoexcerpt.mp3

That being said, big difference between the standard Jerry electronics on a stock Strat and my own Tiger guitar ... more weight and beef. But I think the PRS is closer than a Strat would be -- set neck, etc.
 #131383  by James-T

Hey Vic,

Once again, simply awesome playing. Sort of proves the point it's 99% technique. I concur the PRS gets you closer than a Strat to the sound. When I bought my CU 22 back in 2005 it was because of that fact. Purchased it Legend Guitars in Tampa, All they sell are PRS's and I played ever dam instrument on the wall before walking out with a used 2002 model with Dragon II's.

I was playing a stock American Strat before that,

I'd love to get a custom or tribute guitar some day but for the cost it's a small upgrade from my PRS. Plus it's a huge statement as you say and we do a lot more than just Dead stuff although coping the Dead is our main trip. Like I say, I've got a love hate relationship with my PRS but it's 90% love. Just enough of the other side to keep me trying other guitars from time to time.

I wanted to ask you about the mix from your soundclip, it's brilliant and like the Dead it's hard to hear your rythem guitar. Is that intentional? Your band has a big sound and I dug the Rhodes!

Peace

James
 #131407  by Capt Rosebuddy

playingdead wrote: I don't think it's the guitar so much, this is a quick clip of me playing a stock PRS Custom 24 into a Fender Vibrolux with no mods and stock Fender speakers ... plenty of sparkle.
Man I'd say! Wow that's amazing that you can get that much of the Front St sound from that gear, also can't tell you how much I miss seeing PD on the regular.

For me this is kind of a two headed monster of a obsession. On the one hand I want to have a rig that sounds like Garcia, sounds obvious but worth stating. Not "close" or "in the ballpark" but dead nuts on.
On the other hand it's also turned into a kind of collection of gear. I'd like to own nice versions of the original components, the effects boxes, possibly a mac. The guitar is a logical step in that direction.
 #131416  by playingdead

Thanks, guys.

The newer PRS Custom 22s and 24s come with the 59/09 pickups, which are a lot hotter (and better, I think) than the old Dragon or Dragon II pickups that were stock. It pushes the preamp on a stock Fender amp pretty hard, so you get that breakup and sparkle, which is a big help.

It's just a different, focus, Captain. The problem is to get it dead nuts on, is you have to play it stupid loud ... not so great for an apartment :shock: I would say if you got the bucks, indulge yourself and get the guitar. If it doesn't knock your socks off, you can always find another home for it.

I agree, the rhythm guitar could be louder in that clip, whoever mixed it should have made him louder ... oh, right, it was me. LOL
 #131418  by James-T

I liked the mix, and Capt. Bud, know that feeling of desiring more gear.

Peace,

James
 #131502  by boater1941

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
dleonard wrote:Yo capt rosebuddy...all the info is here. However, go see Splintered Sunlight (no affiliation, just a huge fan) at the Blockley or Brownies or Stone Pony. The "Jerry" player doesn't go nuts trying to ape the tone, but sounds an awful lot like him with just a faded SG and a twin. Seeing that dude for the past 10 years has really made me realize that the tone (read $$$) side of things isn't really as big of deal.
I love Butchy !
Dude does it his way !
Just a "a faded SG and a twin " and a hard Truckers cab .... Thats a good Jerry Rig IMHO
I remember when he had a Marshall Rig - amp and speakers - and sounded fantastic ! That was impressive !
Splintered ..... prob my fav Dead Band .... they " get It " good !
:-)
If you aren't gonna add a middle bucker or atleast an SD-1 dimarz in the the sweet zone on an SG(ideal project guitar) then I'd tap the north coil on the bridge pup with a dp104 you'll be close to the zone. That lead sounds like a a neck pup from a gibson. Just a slightly too fat and rich lacking sparkle.
 #131610  by mikelawson

I tell you who flat out convinced me it was more about technique than anyone is my late friend, Michael Hinton, when he played with Merl Saunders. He NAILED Jerry-eqsue style and tone, using nothing but a vintage Ibanez Artist and a Fender Vibrolux amp.

One might also take a look at what Dave Hebert is traveling with now. He's got a small, custom-made tube-preamp, a Crate Power Block (you read that right) and a small 1-12 cabinet, all of which he can stuff into a piece of luggage and check as baggage on a flight to go play with Melvin. That matched with a modest pedal board with the usual toys on it and his Eagle-style guitar, and he nailed the Jerry thing with Melvin at every show.

I'm convinced that most of it is all about a good clean amp and a good left hand. I am personally using my new Bolt from Phiga (3 coil-tapping hum buckers from Dimarzio), a Mutron EF and a Fender Twin, and getting a pretty convincing Jerry tone with it, too. I appreciate all the expense and work some of the folks go through on RUKind to build a Jerry rig, but so far I just haven't seen any evidence that you can't do the job other ways, but that's just my opinion. :D