Chat about Equipment Info
 #89115  by aiq

I dunno Brad, looks kinda country :)

Emmons is the man, my old partner Jack Stanton - a killer steel player - went to his three day workshop in Nashvegas around '80. Emmons is also a fan of/friend of Pat Martino. Buddy recorded a sick version of The Great Stream after hearing Pat do it.

Emmon's album of Bob Wills tunes is nice as well as his work on John Hartford's amazing albums. Don't miss Live at Carnegie Hall when Buddy was but 18 or 19.

"THree hits and the Joint turned Brown"
"Granny Won't You Smoke (Some Marryjewanna)"
"Golden Globe Awards"

good times...
 #89130  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Just learned that Jerry's ZB steel (Bakersfield serial # 0009) was made in '69 in Bakersfield, CA, but still had the older Scranton, Ark. style decal on it. I guess mine was built a few months before his and maybe 25 or 30 guitars earlier.

B
 #89148  by aoguitars

Nice score, Brad! It's funny, steels must be in the air, because I finally bit the bullet and grabbed a Simmons SD-10 E9 (3+4) steel just recently. It's been that one instrument that I don't have and have never played, and now after 2-3 weeks, I'm totally hooked. I need to learn how to tighten up the whole system, but it sounds killin. I was definitely looking for that ZB, though!
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote: BTW, Buddy Emmons is THE god of steel guitar. Anyone not familiar with Buddy should get familiar. One of the truly greatest musicians in human history. A freak monster of technique, taste, innovation, and soul.

Also, everyone should go listen to the original Buck Owens "Together Again" to hear what ultimately turned Jerry on to pedal steel. Actually, the steel work on that single literally launched a generation of new pedal steel players in the '60s.

Brad
And right you are, an absolute monster of a player. Anyone looking to get their mind totally blown should find the Danny Gatton/Buddy Emmons "Redneck Jazz Explosion" show from the Cellar Door. Unreal. I'm also a huge fan of his work with John Hartford.
 #89152  by tcsned

Sweet Brad! I played with a guy who had an Emmons - I messed with it a bit - way confusing but I managed to pull some cool tones out of it. I'm going to get my mid-50s Gibson lap steel cleaned up and start messing with that again - especially now that I have your preamp up and running.
 #131317  by Griffyote

Very Cool! I've been searching for more on Jerry's pedal steel playing and it seems there isn't much. I would love to find some video footage. The only 2 you tubes I've found are NRPS. I wonder if he played through a jbl D130 with the pedal steel. When I bought my Shobud from Scotty's music in St. Louis, Scott Jr. told me this great story about his dad taking a Super Pro or something down and setting it up in Kiel Auditorium for Jerry in '71 or '72.
 #131320  by tcsned

Sweet, Brad! I've always wanted to have one of those things to mess with. I messed with an Emmons that belonged to the steel guitarist in a country band I had a brief flirtation with. What do you use to amplify it?
 #131324  by DHM

I have one of those Sho-bud Maverick 3+1, branded as a Fender, steels, which periodically reminds me I'm not all that coordinated...I read some where that Jerry gave up on it too..but I sure like that hippie country stuff..all those guys..Jerry was maybe one of the better know...mostly for the break on "Teach your children"...he'd only been playing like 2 weeks or some incredibly short time when he did that...and then the other players... Sneaky Pete was amazing..he played in B6 on an eight string Fender..and Rusty Young...Buddy Cage...they were doing some innovate things with it...its a cool instrument but I think to do it right you have to be willing to devote a lot of time and effort and brain cells to it...
Last edited by DHM on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #131820  by Griffyote

I didn't know much about Zane Beck, so started searching. Here is some cool inside info.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... on++curtis 8)

I'm glad Don Curtis talked me into spending twice the amount I planned to spend when I went into Scotty's music to buy a Pedal Steel.
I just wanted a Maverick and ended up with a Shobud Pro1. Every maverick I've played since learning on the Pro1 gave me a lesson in frustation with equipment.
The better pedal steels will always return right to where you tune them.
 #131854  by Griffyote

From:Dewitt Scotty Scott posted on the steel guitar forum
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Posted 27 Jul 2012 12:33pm Garcia
I was at my store, Scotty's Music" in St. Louis and whole bunch of long haired people came in and all I said to them was "Howdy". I didn't know who they were.They got really riendly and in fact invited me to the Keil Auditorium in St. Louis for their sound check. I went and there was a ZB steel guitar sitting on stage with a Sho Bud amp and a guy was playing on it. He asked me to sit down and play some on it. I did and and this guy was sitting on the floor looking up and when I hit a lick he would say, "far out" and asked how I played that. Of course I showed as I would any other person. I still didn't know who the band was. I went to the concert that night and I then found out it was the Gratedful Dead and the steel player was Jerry Garcia. Jerry set me in a chair a few feet from him ON STAGE. I was ejoying the show until a guy tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and it was Bob Heil from Marrisa, Il. He said to me, "Scotty, turn around". I did and there was no one behind the stage anymore. Bob said nobody is allowed behind stage when the Dead are playing. I got so embarrassed I got off the stage. The net time that the Dead came to St. Louis and the New Riders were with them and both bands came to the store and we had a kind off the wall jam session. Somtimes Buddy Cage would play the steel and then I would play. I owned Lloyd Green's old double neck Sho Bud with the yellow streak on the front and that is the guitar we played on. They came to the store one more time and anytime they would get within 200 miles of St. Louis they would call me and I would take my reel to reel tape recorder to the motel and took several tapes of the Steel Guitar Convention with me and after their concert we would listen to them the rest of the night. I took pictures and even put up a mike and recorded that jam session. I sold Jerry a double neck MSA and when it came time to pay for it the manager said to me, "Whats our price"? Jerry put his hand on his shoulder and said, You pay this man full price"! Wow! Jerry and I coresponded for awhile and we exchanged LP's with each other. He sent me every LP the Dead and New Riders had and I sent him all of my Midland steel guitar records. Its odd - a guy devoted to pure country and one of the most respected guys in rock and roll getting together and being so friendly with each other. Jerry Garcia and DeWitt "Scotty" Scott Bob Weir and the rest of the band were very friendly too! Scotty
 #131921  by pablomago

Congrats, Brad!

I used to play with a steel player named RIchard Sinkler who played a ZB Custom. Besides playing with a full band once in a while, we had a duo inspired by Michael Nesmith and Red Rhodes. I played acoustic and electric and he played PSG and a little guitar. That was one sweet sounding steel and he still misses it. When he was learning PSG, he used to stand in front of Jerry at NRPS gigs and you'd think they'd bump foreheads, with Jerry focused on playing and Richard focused on everything Jerry was doing. Stages were much lower back then. ;-)

The only time I met Jerry, we talked pedal steels. He'd kind of given up on it and I was trying to encourage him to play it more.

I saw Son Volt last month and those Earth Drives sound incredible with Telecasters! I'm saving up for one.
 #131981  by jester536

Not real good with YouTube posts...but this is a link to a Bill Kirchen video and he starts discussing some pedal steel riffs toward the end...and I just love Bill K. so I thought I'd post it.