#131225  by Poor Peter

I use a DRRI with a super II in the middle and it gets me pretty darn close. Especially on the lower end when I am strumming chords. Where it lacks is on the high end in the upper register. Still very nice but not that crystal clear glass-like tone we all love.
 #131250  by tigerstrat

Another vote for a head + 1x12 cab. Two trips with medium loads is going to be less stressful than moving a single very heavy item.

Just got my '83 Super Champ gone over and recapped so it's finally available to use for small clubs and rehearsals at very heftable 29 lbs. I must be getting less picky about reverb because the short pan is sounding really nice and smooth to me. No Mid control but I'm finding that with Treble at about 6-7 and bass at about 4, a sweet balance is achieved. I don't use the Mid Boost. The 10" Fender-labeled Eminence is OK at bedroom levels or rough rehearsals, but I've modded the speaker wires with a plug end so I can go out to my E-120 1x12 (probably closer to 40lb.), which makes this 18 watts (2x 6V6) plenty loud and clear for a typical club stage... I used it in head/cab mode at Laurelthirst Public House the other night and it absolutely ripped up the room. It can be a lightweight head OR combo.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #131257  by Tennessee Jedi

tigerstrat wrote:Another vote for a head + 1x12 cab. Two trips with medium loads is going to be less stressful then moving a single very heavy item.
Same here - this rig gets me thru most of our gigs
Probably nothing weighs more than 45 lbs
 #131295  by jeager

JBL E 120 or D 120 are much easier to lug than an E120 and I think work a bit better for lower watts. Not to mention this is what Jerry used when he played a strat, some of those early 70s tones are just gorgeous. Get a little Fender Deluxe Head and a single 12" cab like the one I got from SSP. Middle pup on a good strat and you are close enough really and it will be a breeze to lug and set up. Here is a link to SSP:

http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/page0/page0.html
 #131314  by AlabamaDidn'tGetAway

Honestly, Id try a Mustang 3 and a stock strat. You just need a decent Fender clean tone. The part people hear is mostly in your pickin IMO.

A more traditional alternative would be any clean sounding head w verb and a 1-12 cab with an efficient speaker. H&K Tubemeister reportedly has good cleans.

I just put together a Micro Teror and 1-12 Celestion G12t. With my parts tele with Bill Lawrence(Wylde) rails (L45 neck L48TL bridge) I sound close enough for gov work as far as Im concerned. The little Micro Terror has a suprising amount of cleans it it unless you get stupid loud. The whole rig totals 26 lbs. Course you'd have to add a few pedals to the mix.
 #131315  by AlabamaDidn'tGetAway

twizzlybear wrote:
barefootdave wrote:A strat in the middle position and a DRRI W JBL will get you most of the way there.
Thanks, this is what I thought. Is there a neo alternative to the jbl?
The Weber neo (which I would bet comes closest in a neo design) weighs about 1/2 a JBL. According toto Webers info on it.
Note From Ted
I get asked a lot about neo speakers and how they evolved for this market. Here are my thoughts.
We engineers get all giddy about energy and power, so when the neo came along speaker engineers went crazy because of all the energy in a much smaller package. Where we would typically have 11K of energy in an AlNiCo, and maybe 13K of energy in a ceramic, they had over 15K in a neo. That's nice, except we can go overboard on anything and this is no exception. That much energy oversensitized the speakers and made them hard and harsh at high volumes with distortion. The first ones were unbearable.
Eminence and Celestion got a handle on it and made the necessary changes. As a result, they both have very good neo guitar speakers. The rest of the marketers are still clueless, apparently.
I started out designing ours with the AlNiCo energy as a target. The first question is... "why would someone purposely not take advantage of the energy in the neo?" My answer is because I was shooting for a tone, not a contest winning energy level, and the light weight is a bonus. So, that's where we are.
The neo energy in our NeoMag™ Series speaker is the same as the AlNiCo magnet circuit it emulates.
As a result, they sound the same. Virtually identical.
Next question: "Why do these weigh as much as a california 12? I thought neo speakers were a lot lighter weight than ceramics and others".
They are. Remember, our NeoMag™ Series is meant to replace original AlNiCo JBL D series speakers. Those weighed in at 18 to 22 pounds, while our Neo's are about half that.
 #131638  by boater1941

If you can get a K-120 or a pair would open up just perfect with that amp you posted. I use two K 120's with a straight channel 1 bridged rocktron 300 @ 8ohms in the smaller rooms.saweet open right up. I pull out the E's for the outside and jam nites.