#130855  by pedalpoet

To me, the 2nd half of Dark Star represents a video preservation of the Dead at their improvisational peak. I was in awe.

And, Sing Me Back Home was beautiful.
+2

That was a lot of fun. This show was one I never had a copy of, so it was largely new listening for me. Glad to see them finally show Keith. The Darkstar was absolutely brilliant as it waxed and waned from mood to mood. The Birdsong was also fantastic. Theater here in Seattle wasn't filled. I got there with my buddy a bit early so we could chat up some other Heads, and found ourselves in a long line of people not too talkative and not looking like Deadheads for that matter. After shuffling along for a half an hour we finally realized we were in line for some other movie! D'oh! When we got to the proper room we were the first ones there. There was some laughing and clapping, but not a ton of comaraderie.
 #130871  by rugger

Two theaters in San Diego aired the movie. The one I attended was full with a fairly lively crowd. I was surprised at the amount of smoking in the theater. I kidded to my wife that they might actually set the fire alarms off. One of the bigger audience reactions was when the naked gargoyle behind the stage finally had a pair of shorts on. Pretty funny.

The camera work is/was pretty sub par, but I guess I can't really complain. I'm just stoked it's on film at all.

john in san diego
 #130874  by zumacraig

it was great. i went on a whim and am glad i did. seeing/hearing that dark star in the theater with all those heads was fun. everyone clapped when they segued into el paso. we also clapped during the credits...especially loud for phil. i'm surprised they didn't credit the naked dude.

c
 #130875  by zumacraig

TI4-1009 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:To me, the 2nd half of Dark Star represents a video preservation of the Dead at their improvisational peak. I was in awe.

mk
+1

I had to get out the hankie after Sing Me Back Home.
me too. i was actually overcome with sadness about the jerry's death and that of the grateful dead. all day i've been in a real funk. i know the scene lives on, but i really really miss going to shows and that being a big part of my identity.
 #130913  by ugly rumor

Saw it in Kill Devil Hills, N.C.

The guy behind the band, on the post, is me.

It is also you. We each listen and experience in our own way. I remember once being at a show in Chicago. The guy in front of me kept dancing, with which I have no problem, but he kept interfering with my space. After several incidents and requests on my part for him to be more circumspect, he explained to me that that was what it was all about, and rudely insinuated that I didn't get the deal. I pulled his pants down, after which he became much more respectful!

Just a ramble.....
 #130922  by Mr.Burns

ugly rumor wrote:Saw it in Kill Devil Hills, N.C.

The guy behind the band, on the post, is me.

It is also you. We each listen and experience in our own way. I remember once being at a show in Chicago. The guy in front of me kept dancing, with which I have no problem, but he kept interfering with my space. After several incidents and requests on my part for him to be more circumspect, he explained to me that that was what it was all about, and rudely insinuated that I didn't get the deal. I pulled his pants down, after which he became much more respectful!

Just a ramble.....
Talk about invading personal space...WTF?? You depantsed the guy? I'm guessing you were physically dominant over him, because anybody that wasn't and tried that on me would end up wearing their ass for a hat, and rightly so. Maybe you should have just moved... :roll:

I thought the guy on the post was Hippie Bill...whoever it was had a unique perspective on a legendary show...gotta say I'm a little envious.
 #130932  by AlabamaDidn'tGetAway

My wife has never gotten into the GD. She loves music but is more of a Stones/Springsteen kinda gal.
But she humored me and went to the movie with me, on our Anniversary no less. After the movie I was surprised that her favorite part was the Dark Star. Normally she doesn't care for instrumental music all that much. She commented that it was "so relaxing, I really zoned out and went somewhere else".
I think she has finally come around, thanks Sunshine Daydream!
My fav part was edit: Sing Me Back HomenotLonesome Fugitive, duh,excuse the Merle Haggard brain fart. Jerry in great voice, I miss him so much. Had to wipe a tear.
Last edited by AlabamaDidn'tGetAway on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #130950  by ugly rumor

Yeah....maybe HE should have moved. He was obnoxious. I respect anyone's space. All I ask is the same for me as I would do for you.....
 #130957  by Charlie

I'd love to see the set list. I have a version of this film that I bought from Amazon UK but it doesn't include Sing Me Back Home or Birdsong. (pole dancer is prominent though) Wondering what other songs might be included.
 #130962  by Mr.Burns

ugly rumor wrote:Yeah....maybe HE should have moved. He was obnoxious. I respect anyone's space. All I ask is the same for me as I would do for you.....
....Or you'll pull my pants down? That's ASSinine. :lol:
 #131031  by TI4-1009

zumacraig wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:To me, the 2nd half of Dark Star represents a video preservation of the Dead at their improvisational peak. I was in awe.

mk
+1

I had to get out the hankie after Sing Me Back Home.
me too. i was actually overcome with sadness about the jerry's death and that of the grateful dead. all day i've been in a real funk. i know the scene lives on, but i really really miss going to shows and that being a big part of my identity.
We're with you man. Most of us here have those moments too. I'm getting better, but once a year or so I'll have one- usually when I put on a show DVD. When Jer gets into a particularly beautiful Jer Stella Blue or Brokedown solo, I just lose it. Or sometimes it's one of those rare moments on film where he's really happy and into it, that does it to me too. Huge loss. There's nothing you can own for very long.

Hang in there- more good times than bad! The good news is we were alive at this time to experience it first hand. Missed Bach, missed Mozart, caught this guy!