Chat about Equipment Info
 #130833  by Jack Straw

can someone shed some light on the history of this guitar? It's not listed on Dozin, I thought I remembered reading something about it a long time ago, like it was a loaner maybe?

#130834  by Free Jazz

Built by Dan Erlewine with ABR-1.

from StewMac:
"Dan Erlewine says in the ’60s he wanted a Tune-o-matic bridge on his Fender. He hoped it would make the guitar tune better.
Chances are, if he'd just lowered his neck pickup, the strong magnetic pull would lose its effect on the bass strings and the Strat would play in tune. But Dan didn't know that back then. He’d recently built a Strat-style guitar for Jerry Garcia, who wanted an ABR-1 bridge, so Dan was in a Tune-o-matic mood.
He ground the tailpiece down to practically nothing to lower it for a workable string angle over the bridge. The result worked fine, but looking back on it Dan wishes he'd left that valuable Strat alone!"

#130836  by gmchart

Ok, so the guitar is really cool-never seen it before- But the jacket, Holy Shit....is that a Nudie...? I may have the name wrong (I have had a few beers) but the guy who did suits for the Birds and Burritos back in the day.....?
 #130841  by tcsned

gmchart wrote:Who was this Nudie guy?
He was a suit maker in LA back in 40s, he made cowboy suits for country stars. I think he was Eastern European, his name was Nudie Cohen, though I'm pretty sure that his real name had more syllables than a verse of Truckin'. Most of those cool, sequined jackets that country stars, later some of those country-rock guys, were Nudie suits. I don't think I could pull off a whole suit, but I'd love to have one of those jackets. Probably cost as much as a Moriarity guitar :-)
 #130843  by DHM

Nudie suits show up on ebay now and then...this isn't a real Nudie suit but its similar...at one point a guy was selling one of Clarence White's suits..or so he said...wanted $6K for it if I recall correctly...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... ie%2Bsuits

This guy worked for Nudie Cohen and seems to be carrying the torch...

http://www.manuelcouture.com/store/
 #130846  by TI4-1009

tcsned wrote:
gmchart wrote:Who was this Nudie guy?
I'm pretty sure that his real name had more syllables than a verse of Truckin'.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 #130867  by Jack Straw

tigger wrote:That wasn't formerly the sunburst strat, was it?
No, it was not. If I'm not mistaken, Jerry ended up giving the sunburst strat to David Hidalgo of Los Lobos. It may not have been have been the exact same guitar, but I know it was a brown sunburst 58

More on Hidalgo from Guitar Player
What prompted you to cover the Grateful Dead’s “West L.A. Fadeaway”?

I was aware of the Dead since the beginning, but it wasn’t until the Live/Dead album came out that the light really went on for me. That version of “St. Stephen” into “The Eleven” into “Turn on Your Love Light” floored me. Jerry Garcia became one of my favorites. I first met him in 1984, when he showed up at one of our gigs along with Carlos Santana. They took turns playing my spare ES-335. Afterwards, Jerry gave me a ’58 Stratocaster. I couldn’t believe it.

- See more at: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/dav ... rPY5h.dpuf