Chat about Equipment Info
 #130514  by Winterland

I was wondering if you can use a Roland GR33 floor control unit with a guitar set up for a GR 55. The cables fit both units.
Anybody try this?
 #130517  by tcsned

I don't see why not. Are you talking about the pickup? The newer GK 3 works with the GR33, that's what I use.
 #130519  by Winterland

Not the pick ups. I have a GR33 and the pick up is shot. I wanted to plug it into my guitar with the on board midi set up. The guitar is set up for the GR55.I used the midi cable from the guitar and plugged it into the GR33. I got loud feedback but can hear some midi effects? Don't see why it wouldn't work. It must be because of the pickups or something?
 #130528  by tcsned

I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue. Are you using a pickup with the 13-pin GK cable or a guitar with an actual midi-plug? What kind of pickup is it? If its a midi plug it may be that the module is not set up to take an external midi controller.
 #130541  by Winterland

I have a Phiga wolf with the Midi inside. The cable goes from the guitar jack to the controller. It came with a GR55 but no power. I have an older GR33 that was used with another guitar. I took the GR33 and plugged the cable from the Wolf to the GR33. The cable is the same pin out? It does not work. I was wondering if they are not compatible. Does that make sense?
 #130544  by tcsned

Winterland wrote:I have a Phiga wolf with the Midi inside. The cable goes from the guitar jack to the controller. It came with a GR55 but no power. I have an older GR33 that was used with another guitar. I took the GR33 and plugged the cable from the Wolf to the GR33. The cable is the same pin out? It does not work. I was wondering if they are not compatible. Does that make sense?
Hmmm - I think I'm still missing something. I think Phil uses the Graphtech Ghost midi system, I have that on my Warmoth. Is the cable the 13 pin Roland cable that plugs into the GK input? Or are you plugging something else in?

Assuming you are using the 13 pin GK cable and still getting that noise, I would start troubleshooting with the cable. Look at the cable ends make sure none of the little pins are broken or bent. Wiggle the cable to see if it's shorting out. If either of those are the case I'd start with replacing the cable. It is possible for the pickup system to have problems, either wired wrong or broken.

If you can post a pic I might be of more help.
 #130801  by Winterland

Sorry I think I am making this harder than it is.

I have the Ghost set up. It works with the GR55. My GR55 is broke and wanted to try it with my older GR33. It does not seem to work.Are they not compatible? I can't post pics on this site.
 #130802  by Winterland

Sorry I think I am making this harder than it is.

I have the Ghost set up. It works with the GR55. My GR55 is broke and wanted to try it with my older GR33. It does not seem to work.Are they not compatible? I can't post pics on this site.
 #130805  by tcsned

It should work, I used a Ghost with my 33, albeit an older ghost system but I don't think there's anything essentially different in the signal that the 55 and 33 use. Are you sure your issue is with your 55 and not the pickup?
 #130806  by jkstraw

Agreed - hexpander (midi part of ghost system) should work on all Roland compatible gear. I.e. gr-55, gr-33, etc.

Keep in mind tracking on the ghost system is not that great - RMC sells an OPT-1 board to help with crosstalk. Vguitar forums will have lots of info to help you troubleshoot.

Previous post sounds possible if you are not having luck (I.e. might be a pickup issue)
 #130807  by RiverRat

Winterland wrote:Not the pick ups. I have a GR33 and the pick up is shot. I wanted to plug it into my guitar with the on board midi set up. The guitar is set up for the GR55.I used the midi cable from the guitar and plugged it into the GR33. I got loud feedback but can hear some midi effects? Don't see why it wouldn't work. It must be because of the pickups or something?
How is your GR-33 connected to your amp? You should be using a mono 1/4" cable from the R (Mono) MIX OUT jack.

With any GK compatible pickup, you need to set the sensitivity on the midi controller. For the Roland's, that would bbe done by pressing the SYSTEM button and then press PARAMETER until you see Pickup Sens. Adjust the sensitivity for the pickup for each of the strings so that the gain isn't too high and all the strings are at the same level. Also make sure the correct output is selected, it can be either GUITAR AMP or LINE.

Here is a link to the GR-33 manual... pages 18 and 19 cover what you need.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... id=1811448
 #130828  by Sparechaynge

tcsned wrote:
I think Phil uses the Graphtech Ghost midi system
Phil, as in Lesh? I thought he gave up on midi basses.
 #130829  by tcsned

Sparechaynge wrote:
tcsned wrote:
I think Phil uses the Graphtech Ghost midi system
Phil, as in Lesh? I thought he gave up on midi basses.
No, Phil Gawen, the Phiga guitar guy. :-)
 #130880  by Sparechaynge

Ha! That makes more sense, you really had me going for a bit there. :D