When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #130229  by php111

Hey, out of the Grateful Dead discography I'm talking about, what would everyone recommend as a favorite in the 80s and 90s era during the Brent Mydland Years? I'm talking about live shows, favorite DP, studio, favorite box set, and etc?

I'm asking because I was born in 1982, and I like the 80s and 90s in general and I like that era for music.
 #130232  by DHM

I'm partial to the show 6-21-80 at Anchorage West High School for two reasons...first...it's the only live show of that era I am familiar with...and...secondly...I was there...
 #130255  by easytoslip

php111 wrote:Hey, out of the Grateful Dead discography I'm talking about, what would everyone recommend as a favorite in the 80s and 90s era during the Brent Mydland Years? I'm talking about live shows, favorite DP, studio, favorite box set, and etc?

I'm asking because I was born in 1982, and I like the 80s and 90s in general and I like that era for music.
I'm more a song-follower than anything and Brett was a great contributor to GD songwriting. Also he's a crooner, so his live performances just ooze soul. Good songs to look up: Easy To Love You, I Will Take You Home, We Can Run. Pretty sure I always see him gettin down proper when they do Goin Down The Road Feelin Bad as well

brent :oops:
Last edited by easytoslip on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #130293  by pedalpoet

Being born in '69 I came of age during Brent's time with the band, and those were the first shows I was able to attend. Brent did ooze soul! My favorites were from Albany in March of '90, a run that was captured on the Dozin at the Knick cd. Killer shows. Particularly killer was the Blow Away from the night of the 26th if I'm not mistaken. I was there for those shows and it was a high time indeed.
 #130294  by easytoslip

pedalpoet wrote:Being born in '69 I came of age during Brent's time with the band, and those were the first shows I was able to attend. Brent did ooze soul! My favorites were from Albany in March of '90, a run that was captured on the Dozin at the Knick cd. Killer shows. Particularly killer was the Blow Away from the night of the 26th if I'm not mistaken. I was there for those shows and it was a high time indeed.
oh yeah, Dozin! Great stuff right there! awesome you got to see him. still, such a buzz even riding the wave they left behind
 #142068  by ToddWCorey

Well, first of all, Hundred Year Hall is a show from '72, so not much Brent there.

Best Brent-era stuff? How about:

Fall tour '79 (very unique)
09/26-27/81
04/12/82 (Sugaree!!!)
04/19/82
10/09-10/82
07/13-15/84
03/26-28/88
10/16/89
Spring tour '90 (the last GREAT tour)
A whole bunch else that I can't think of right now

As for studio, if you want some insight into Brent's state of mind, check out "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" from So Many Roads. "It's dark outside but it's darker within... They don't write poems about the state I'm in!"