rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #130270  by strumminsix
 Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 am
playingdead wrote:Looks like a Hoeg from the headstock shape.

I think the old Tele was stolen a few years back.
Agreed. I recall while speaking with Mr. Hoeg that he wanted a replica of his family Tele so he could take it on the road.
 #130271  by Dozin
 Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 am
Looks like Weir is playing the Hoeg Strat too. Rich will be happy about that.

Weir was told not to play the 56 Telecaster on the road anymore because it's rare and too valuable. Weir had Rich make a copy of it before it got stolen at the Bohemian Grove gig.
 #130281  by Dozin
 Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am
Tennessee Jedi wrote:I thought I read the 56 Tele from his family was stolen ?
It did get stolen and is still missing
 #130319  by broesau
 Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 am
I didn't know the Tele was stolen. It was such a great story about how he got it, too bad. On the other hand, what was Bob doing at Bohemian Grove? It though that was mainly stuffy rich Republicans at the retreats.
 #130321  by strumminsix
 Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 am
broesau wrote:I didn't know the Tele was stolen. It was such a great story about how he got it, too bad. On the other hand, what was Bob doing at Bohemian Grove? It though that was mainly stuffy rich Republicans at the retreats.
Bohemian Gove is party agnostic. All you need is an insane amount of money, power with a desire for more power, and want to network in obscurity.
 #130323  by playingdead
 Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 pm
strumminsix wrote:
broesau wrote:I didn't know the Tele was stolen. It was such a great story about how he got it, too bad. On the other hand, what was Bob doing at Bohemian Grove? It though that was mainly stuffy rich Republicans at the retreats.
Bohemian Gove is party agnostic. All you need is an insane amount of money, power with a desire for more power, and want to network in obscurity.
But, especially if you're knocking back a few drinks, keep an eye on your vintage Telecaster :shock:
 #130329  by strumminsix
 Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:48 pm
playingdead wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
broesau wrote:I didn't know the Tele was stolen. It was such a great story about how he got it, too bad. On the other hand, what was Bob doing at Bohemian Grove? It though that was mainly stuffy rich Republicans at the retreats.
Bohemian Gove is party agnostic. All you need is an insane amount of money, power with a desire for more power, and want to network in obscurity.
But, especially if you're knocking back a few drinks, keep an eye on your vintage Telecaster :shock:
Seriously! See it all the time and I'll never understand dudes who take their prized possessions out in place of replaceable gear then go irresponsible... Getting messed up or leaving it in corners or hoping someone watches their gear, etc...
 #130333  by shadowboxer
 Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 pm
brbadg wrote:This doesn't look like the Hoeg headstock. Here's another video to take a look at.The Tele on the Hoeg website also as a maple neck.I'm appreciative of your comments,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EVu4L7-7I

Bob puts down the Strat and picks the Tele up at 1:43.

Wonder what was going on there with the guitar change in the middle of the song. Tuning issue? Looks like he's got wireless transmitters for each guitar so that sure makes it easy.
 #130363  by Dozin
 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 pm
brbadg wrote:This doesn't look like the Hoeg headstock. The Tele on the Hoeg website also as a maple neck.I'm appreciative of your comments,.
This is the first Tele that Rich built and it was before he designed his personnel peg head shape. There's no logo on the peg head because Rich didn't feel comfortable putting his logo on Leo Fender's original shape. The guitar is stained swamp ash body, flame maple and brazilian rosewood neck.

I think he switched from the Strat to the Tele because the Tele had better twang to it. It does sound better.

Weir has a custom guitar switcher that can handle 3 guitars.