#128740  by tumbledownshack

On August 27, 1972 the Grateful Dead played a benefit for the The Springfield Creamery in Veneta, OR that became an instant classic in Deadlore. A film dubbed Sunshine Daydream was shot that day using four 16mm cameras and while the movie was never released, it has circulated in fan circles and been shown at film festivals. This summer, Sunshine Daydream will finally hit theaters nationwide.

Fathom Events is throwing their third annual Grateful Dead Meet-Up At The Movies on August 1 at 7:30 p.m. local time. As this year's presentation, theaters across the country will air the entire two hour and 10 minute Sunshine Daydream.

Here's a description of what to expect:

Experience the most requested performance of The Grateful Dead's entire career; Sunshine Daydream! Shot on 16mm film on a blistering summer day in 1972 and painstakingly restored to glorious HD resolution, the previously unreleased feature captures the band at the height of their powers. More than a concert film; Sunshine Daydream is a time capsule from August 27, 1972 exploding with the colorful sights and sounds of the counterculture experience. Featuring never before seen footage of the day as well as original, recent interviews with the key participants of the time such as Merry Prankster Ken Babbs, tour manager Sam Cutler, peace activist Wavy Gravy, and Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia among a host of adventuresome characters providing insight on the sense of community that made such a special day possible.

We're excited to hear the film has been restored to "glorious HD resolution" and hope a DVD/Blu-Ray release will follow. Keep your eyes on Fathom's website and AMC's Grateful Dead Meet-Up Page to find out which theaters will be participating this year and to purchase tickets.
 #128746  by NSP

Yeah, just got the email about that. I certainly hope they release that on DVD. I won't be able to see it on the big screen as I'll be playing a gig at the Grateful Garcia Gathering in Black River Falls, WI that day. Been waiting years for that to be released!!
 #128748  by Tennessee Jedi

NSP wrote:Yeah, just got the email about that. I certainly hope they release that on DVD. I won't be able to see it on the big screen as I'll be playing a gig at the Grateful Garcia Gathering in Black River Falls, WI that day. Been waiting years for that to be released!!
http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Sun ... teful+dead

:-)
 #128750  by TI4-1009

Woo Hoo! Sirius GD channel plys that show every now and then, I get a sunburn just listening to it.

1972- should be peak tiedye speaker cab time?!

EDIT: Freekin awsome!! (and I don't usually use that kind of language....)

Watch the China Cat trailer:

http://www.dead.net/features/grateful-d ... shinevideo

Bobby with the 335, Phil with Big Brown, tiedye galore!

But manohman- we obsess about all the Jerry tone equipment minutia and there he is playing an apparently completely stock sunbust strat (it even has a tremelo), sounding exactly like Jerry Garcia! And the recorded sound is superb (scenery not bad either...).

This is going to be great.
 #129469  by Dogs In A Pile

TI4-1009 wrote:But manohman- we obsess about all the Jerry tone equipment minutia and there he is playing an apparently completely stock sunbust strat (it even has a tremelo), sounding exactly like Jerry Garcia!
That's it, man. Learn from that. Playing from your soul is what matters. Copying Garcia's tone or style is not very impressive. Originality is what Jerry offered. Copy that.
 #129472  by TI4-1009

Dogs In A Pile wrote:Originality is what Jerry offered. Copy that.
Could almost be a haiku.

Faaaar out..... :idea:
 #129626  by NSP

Dwarf Rat wrote:Jerry taught me not to copy him, but to be myself.
I believe a balance can be achieved, and that's what I do.

What is truly original? My playing is a product of my collective influences, and I believe that can be said for most. Yes, Jerry was very original and essentially defined a genre, but he also copped licks and phrasing from his influences as we do his.

Do I copy some of his licks and phrasing note for note...hell yeah. When I hear and play his music I need to hear the iconic runs to get me there. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to break down the entire Scarlet solo from my favorite show and play it note for note at every gig I do. I certainly try to add my own improvisational techniques within the framework of each jam. But, I also prefer John K vs. Warren in the post Jer bands for the same reason.

I do what makes me smile....
 #129627  by TI4-1009

Balance.

And thus on our journey we transition from the haiku to the Tao.

"Ah, Grasshopper..."

#130848  by TI4-1009

Well that was pretty cool, sort of like "The Grateful Dead Movie" meets "Woodstock". Superb sound, although the video gets a bit grainy as the sun sets (no lights at the venue). Lots of neat Prankster stuff, I'd never seen video of Neil driving the bus before. Debateable whether it's better having that film stuck in with/during the music or having is separate- there were times I just wanted them to get back to the stage. Could have done without the naked gargoyle guy behind the stage :shock: .

Lot's of closeups of Jer's fingerboard- good stuff. All three pickup settings on the strat used during Dark Star. And it's that GREAT Darkstar- long, spacey, and finally that WTF transition into El Paso- the yin and yang of Deadland. And that closeup should end any debate abut what kind of wah Jer was using in the early 70's! One of the best China/Riders. Oh, and yeah, there was a keyboard player onstage- they did finally show Keith.

Pretty good crowd at the theater in Syracuse. Supposed to be released as a three DVD set next month.
 #130851  by TI4-1009

mkaufman wrote:To me, the 2nd half of Dark Star represents a video preservation of the Dead at their improvisational peak. I was in awe.

And, Sing Me Back Home was beautiful.

mk
+1

I had to get out the hankie after Sing Me Back Home.
 #130853  by jx2638

Was wondering same thing about Keith. Not a glimpse until the end...same with Donna.

Despite early tech glitches resulting in free AMC coupon giveaways upon leaving, solid crowd in Burbank, CA.

SYF nylon frisbee giveaways too.