rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #133102  by boater1941
 Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm
I emailed Phred instruments a while back. Yes they are back ordered. I just wanted to see if they would sell a Liger just neck and body. No hardware,stain,stickers,etc. Thought it wouldn't affect the back order situation. Wasn't too happy with the reply which stated that it would be the same price as if ordered with all the parts. Warmoth except from their bolt on necks really impressed me with a personal quote on a dog ear'd multi layered body and a fretted neck to boot with a great price. Hey less work for the vender.
 #133123  by easytoslip
 Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 pm
thanks to all who posted video clips here, very nice sounding guitars!
 #135293  by Arminius
 Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 am
boater1941 wrote:I emailed Phred instruments a while back. Yes they are back ordered. I just wanted to see if they would sell a Liger just neck and body. No hardware,stain,stickers,etc. Thought it wouldn't affect the back order situation. Wasn't too happy with the reply which stated that it would be the same price as if ordered with all the parts. Warmoth except from their bolt on necks really impressed me with a personal quote on a dog ear'd multi layered body and a fretted neck to boot with a great price. Hey less work for the vender.
That is pretty lame. Would not expect that from Fred.
 #135339  by freddyrose76
 Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 am
Arminius wrote:
boater1941 wrote:I emailed Phred instruments a while back. Yes they are back ordered. I just wanted to see if they would sell a Liger just neck and body. No hardware,stain,stickers,etc. Thought it wouldn't affect the back order situation. Wasn't too happy with the reply which stated that it would be the same price as if ordered with all the parts. Warmoth except from their bolt on necks really impressed me with a personal quote on a dog ear'd multi layered body and a fretted neck to boot with a great price. Hey less work for the vender.
That is pretty lame. Would not expect that from Fred.
Sorry this sounds lame. It's just how it is and an unfinished Liger can be made if interested. I don't think Warmoth offers set-neck guitars, which is something to consider as well.
 #141769  by johngtr67
 Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 pm
I have a wolph. it is a decent guitar but lacks the luster and chime of a truly pro instrument.
Please note. I ordered this guitar in October 2013 and it was promised in two months. Nine (9!) months later i received the guitar.
in the meantime i was luck to find an ibanez Musician MC500 which makes the Wolph look like a joke.
Meanwhile all i got in the meantime from Phred, was excuses and general bullshit. I basically would advise saving your pennies and going elsewhere.
The guitar is decent and the obel is cool as shit. I am having Gary Brawer jerrify the Ibanez later this week.
anyway. Sorry of the bad press Phred. The guitar IS worthe the money, but the wait wasn't worth it.

Anyone wanna buy a mint Wolph?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgrcwm6dkoix4 ... h.jpg?dl=0

john
 #141772  by Searing75
 Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 am
It's strange because my Wolph has issues with action and buzz (I have done all I can as far as truss rod, and bridge hight), but with the VooDoo 69's in it, it is wonderful!!!! I keep coming back to it. I have a Phiga Bolt, and an 1978 Ibanez that just don't have the snap, and attack that the Phred does. It's also very light to boot! Maybe its the cheap swamp ash and maple neck?? I don't know, but it is very lively! :-)
 #141903  by freddyrose76
 Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm
johngtr67 wrote:I have a wolph. it is a decent guitar but lacks the luster and chime of a truly pro instrument.
Please note. I ordered this guitar in October 2013 and it was promised in two months. Nine (9!) months later i received the guitar.
in the meantime i was luck to find an ibanez Musician MC500 which makes the Wolph look like a joke.
Meanwhile all i got in the meantime from Phred, was excuses and general bullshit. I basically would advise saving your pennies and going elsewhere.
The guitar is decent and the obel is cool as shit. I am having Gary Brawer jerrify the Ibanez later this week.
anyway. Sorry of the bad press Phred. The guitar IS worthe the money, but the wait wasn't worth it.

Anyone wanna buy a mint Wolph?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgrcwm6dkoix4 ... h.jpg?dl=0

john
Hi John, I apologize for the 9 month wait for the Wolph. Not enough Wolph guitars were made at the time and that is being addressed. Also, I appreciate your feedback as it help with future runs. How much are you selling the Wolph for? I can see about helping you find a buyer if it haven't already been sold.

Freddy Rose
PHRED instruments
 #141904  by freddyrose76
 Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm
Searing75 wrote:It's strange because my Wolph has issues with action and buzz (I have done all I can as far as truss rod, and bridge hight), but with the VooDoo 69's in it, it is wonderful!!!! I keep coming back to it. I have a Phiga Bolt, and an 1978 Ibanez that just don't have the snap, and attack that the Phred does. It's also very light to boot! Maybe its the cheap swamp ash and maple neck?? I don't know, but it is very lively! :-)
Hi Searing75. I'm wondering when you received your Wolph so that I can know which batch it came from. Is the action too low, too high? The Wolph neck is actually mahogany with a swamp ash body, but I would like to make a prototype Wolph with a maple neck and mahogany body to hear the difference.

Freddy Rose
PHRED instruments
 #141905  by Searing75
 Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:17 pm
Uh.... September of '13 I think? Yeah. Right around that time. The action is too high, and I, and a prof. Luthier, have adjusted the truss rod and bridge, but still can't get it down to where I want it without string buzz. The luthier told me he did a fret leveling on it, but I am wondering if thats true?

You should hear it with the voodoo 69's!
 #141943  by tapestry
 Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 am
I have a PHRED tiger that I bring to every Garcia Project show as a backup. The tone isn't as phat as my warmoth, but it gets the job done. I think the neck plays really nice and easy and I can do things on the PHRED that I can't do on the warmoth. For the price, I think its a solid deal.

Here are my guitars:
Image

Here is a link to me playing the PHRED:
https://archive.org/details/TGP2013-10- ... ntaTheatre
 #142281  by boater1941
 Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:25 pm
Oh yeah the liger is great. Sweet vids of you using Lieber's axe. How did that play in comparison to your other guitar's?
I found with the liger that the neck is utterly amazing compared to my alembic tribute. The weakness are the cheap switches,pup selector,buffer,bridge and nut and must have dimarzio dp104's. I loaded mine up with 3 creme buckers,brass pup plate from rusch,100v .022 ceramic tone caps,routed out and had a custom tiger cover plate hiding a gk-3 for future midi expansion. Installed the best buffer around from waldo. Installed a fender 5way. I'm on my second fx bypass switch. Who makes good quality switches? I also threw a nickel saddle bar from Gibson. I plan on going to a soap bar brass saddle bar and right now I have a blank brass nut ready to install. Just waiting for my files to come in to do the nut install. I have a mahogany version and love it. This baby was fresh when I got it. I even had to tap some frets down with soft hammer. Plays like a jam and I can finally do Jerry's finger roll arpeggios.
 #152298  by bustedflatpickr
 Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 pm
For those, like me, who are lusting after one of these beautiful guitars and wonder if the quality, playability and workmanship matchup to the pictures, the act the answer is yes. This is an all-around Superior instrument it rings like a bell unplugged the pickups are wonderful it has the most useful coil split of any guitar I own and action and playability is terrific. I upgraded the tuners and the pickups through Phred and I'm totally happy with the results; the tuners are easily on par with the best I own and significantly better than come with production model Gibsons. And it sounds like Jerry's , no lie! Lastly, it is so crisp and articulate that it really encourages the player to up one's game in fingering and phrasing.
 #152343  by Diggey
 Mon May 30, 2016 5:03 pm
I think a guitar, whether it is custom build or copies, or cheapos have something to offer. It's the player and if they are happy is all that matters.

Curious, what tuners come with it and what did you swap too? Are there additional holes in the back of the headstock or did they line up for you? We're the stock ones not holding in tune?

Secondly, can you plug in mono if you want? Or does it have to be two cords out? If you can do mono, does it still have to have a battery or only if you go double? Curious if you have to always have a fresh battery. Thanks man.
 #152350  by chinacatbundaberg
 Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 am
I've had a Phred Deadbolt for a while now and I'm very pleased with it. Entirely stock and it plays perfectly well out the box. It may well be an upgrade project in the future but that's more down to my need to meddle with the thing and a curiosity to see how it'll sound with better (?) electronics. Depending on when you order in the production cycle you may well have to wait for a while but what the heck, the price is good and I found Fred easy to deal with. I'm in Australia and delivery was a breeze.

You can play mono but the battery will drain if you don't pull the plug.